Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 for 2018

Casey

15 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

Didn't some of these Coke releases include a Coke machine? I would buy a couple just for that.

There was a lone issue of the AMT '50 Chevy pickup from 1997 which included two die-cast metal soda pop machines and a hand truck:

coke50.jpg

Edited by Casey

On 12/21/2017 at 4:40 PM, W-409 said:

Now I'm just wondering who is going to build a diorama of Vanishing Point I end scene since we'll get a reissue on those Bulldozers?:P

I was thinking the same thing! The dilemma will be whether or not to use a Camaro for Kowalski's wrecked car.:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm happy to see the dozer listed, I built one about 10 years ago and would like to do another or two.

The dozer is a D8H introduced in the late 1950s and produced into the 1970s. For a good part of that time Caterpillar used very simple block lettering easily done with DIY decals. The Cat logo shown on the box would have only been used near the end of production.

While the simple flat grill and decal is kind of lame, I noticed just today at the hardware store there is aluminum and steel screens with round holes that look to be an easy solution to the grill. The other thing is it isn't unusual to see those old dozers with damaged grills that have been replaced with slats, expanded metal or whatever they had handy. I got lucky when I built mine and found that the county had a dozer exactly like the one in the kit, but with a fabricated ROPS (cab). The grill had been fairly heavily modified and included a Cadillac ornament in the middle of the new grill.

As these carried over into the OSHA era (established 1971), you can find a variety of fabricated ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) used to bring them into compliance. 

If someone wanted something unique Cat offered some twin D8s, both side by side and inline articulated units.

Edited by Aaronw

On 2/3/2018 at 11:00 AM, PettyKW43 said:

The aftermarket has the name decals covered and one could also model it beat up a bit and repainted as was the case with many old crawlers, or you could paint it red and white and put a crushed Pepsi truck under the tracks and blade in a diorama!

Id like to find enough to the dozer to make a old track crane with...maybe add a grapple claw to it.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Casey said:

Sounds like the ex-Ertl International Harvester Scout of going to be reissued this year, according to this post on Round'2 facebook page:

"Round2 Models we got a 57 Chevy stepside, a 1992 4x4 toyota, and an international scout coming out in the next 6 months..."

Nice to hear the 57 Chevy step side is coming back..hopefully with stock wheels and tires, though...IIRC, the original release only had '90s style custom wheels and wide tires..

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Nice to hear the 57 Chevy step side is coming back..hopefully with stock wheels and tires, though...IIRC, the original release only had '90s style custom wheels and wide tires..

Ha, my mind skipped right over the '57 Stepside thinking it was the '55 Cameo. Not sure who repsonds on Round2's fb page, so maybe that was a typo? I guess we'll see, but I don't think the '57 Stepside has been available since the RC2 era?

amt57ss.jpg.0c9f8d08744182015cf18f8af248b362.jpg

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Ha, my mind skipped right over the '57 Stepside thinking it was the '55 Cameo. Not sure who repsonds on Round2's fb page, so maybe that was a typo? I guess we'll see, but I don't think the '57 Stepside has been available since the RC2 era? 

Been a while since that was out......I could see both being reissued--- Tower Hobbies has the Cameo listed for April as a Coca-Cola livery release. 

17 hours ago, Casey said:

Sounds like the ex-Ertl International Harvester Scout of going to be reissued this year, according to this post on Round'2 facebook page:

"Round2 Models we got a 57 Chevy stepside, a 1992 4x4 toyota, and an international scout coming out in the next 6 months..."

Here's to hoping it's the International Scout SS II

10 hours ago, slusher said:

I have been wanting the Mack DM800 for a while now...

I think the Mack DM800 and Aurocar Tractor are the last of the big trucks reissued by either Model King or Stevens International which Round2 has yet to reissue themselves. They just reissued the Mack Cruiseliner, the Autocar Tractor is supposed to be a 2018 reissue, so I would expect the Mack DM800 within the next 24 months, too.

Jesse mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, but Round2's Instagram post yesterday showed an "unlabelled" mold and some teaser pics looking inside the mold, which turned out to be...*drumroll*.....

27879806_817704648437932_745190821436430

The MPC '67-'72 Chevy pickup, with the tow truck version's fire extinguisher and jack stand bases clearly visible. Might not be a 2018 reissue at this point, but I wouldn't bet against seeing some form of the kit in 2019.

Edited by Casey

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I think the Mack DM800 and Aurocar Tractor are the last of the big trucks reissued by either Model King or Stevens International which Round2 has yet to reissue themselves. They just reissued the Mack Cruiseliner, the Autocar Tractor is supposed to be a 2018 reissue, so I would expect the Mack DM800 within the next 24 months, too.

Jesse mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, but Round2's Instagram post yesterday showed an "unlabelled" mold and some teaser pics looking inside the mold, which turned out to be...*drumroll*.....

The MPC '67-'72 Chevy pickup, with the tow truck version's fire extinguisher and jack stand bases clearly visible. Might not be a 2018 reissue at this point, but I wouldn't bet against seeing some form of the kit in 2019.

Those should be welcome, I know I'll grab a couple to restock my dwindling supply. If they include the tow truck and mini pumper options I'd really be happy as I've never had those.

Probably too much to ask that they update the running gear. I think a better detailed chassis and a 4x4 option would go over very well. The promo style chassis is the major complaint with the kit. 

Edited by Aaronw