Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 for 2018

Casey

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Speaking of Japanese mini-trucks, we can't be too far away from reissues of the Ford (Mazda) Courier, and Dodge (Mitsubishi) Ram 50 at this point...

I'm betting a reissue of the D-50 will be announced before the end of 2018.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

The headlights changed to rectangular in 1982, so this could be a '79-'81.

I'm not horribly excited about this reissue TBH-- 30 pieces and lots of molded in detail everywhere.

I noticed that when I seen the box art, so its on par with the Datsun they did ?

50 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I noticed that when I seen the box art, so its on par with the Datsun they did ?

The Datsun Z at least was full detail, this is a snap kit, probably on a par w/ the Camaro Cheverra and Mazda RX-7 that were in the same snap kit series. 

32 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The Datsun Z at least was full detail, this is a snap kit, probably on a par w/ the Camaro Cheverra and Mazda RX-7 that were in the same snap kit series. 

Silly me Rob,  I was not at clear with what I was trying say, is it comparable to the snapper Datsun offroad from Monogram/Revell

8 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Silly me Rob,  I was not at clear with what I was trying say, is it comparable to the snapper Datsun offroad from Monogram/Revell

The Monogram pickup was pretty good for a snap kit---it had an engine and separate headlight lenses IIRC (I built it back in the 80s).  This is much more simplified I think..

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

The Monogram pickup was pretty good for a snap kit---it had an engine and separate headlight lenses IIRC (I built it back in the 80s).  This is much more simplified I think..

Yeah, its decent for a snapper correct on the perseverate HL lenses , thats what I wanted to know, thank's

Edited by martinfan5

As Rob said above, very much simplified with lots of molded in detail. Here's what the chassis and suspension look like:

amttoyota4x4susp.jpg.5f83334cf5a6ffff57264e3629e85da4.jpg

And the grille from Ben's Wanted post:

6BBBDE89-7D1F-420D-971C-A38CB905ABC2.jpeg

Edited by Casey

Luc, that would be my guess. We won't know for sure for a few more months.

Time to let the speculations, and complaints begin.

I learned to drive in my Dad's 1961 Chevy Pickup. I'll be glad to have this kit back.  Now to find a resin, Long Bed, Stepside box.

6 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

New tool (2000ish) P/U with vintage go kart?

The modern '60 Chevy tooling, and I'd assume the go kart is either new tooling or they found the tooling to the one that was in the '60s pickup annuals? 

Edited by Rob Hall

36 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The modern '60 Chevy tooling, and I'd assume the go kart is either new tooling or they found the tooling to the one that was in the '60s pickup annuals? 

Yes, to the '90s era '60 Chevy Pickup, and to the vintage go kart from the early '60s Ford annual pickup kits'. John Grusczela (sp?) mentioned the 'bonus' parts a few years ago in the "What's a Hanger Shot?" Collector Model blog post, and I believe Tim Boyd mentioned the go kart parts being reissued at least once here on the forum. Sounds like they found enough to make it work, or maybe had to do some repair and restoration. Either way, the pickup is an excellent kit in its own regard, and long overdue for reissue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 9:38 AM, Phirewriter said:

It'll be interesting to see how may show up at swap/shows in the next few years cheap, missing the go kart.:P

It's been surprisingly (from my selfish POV) long since this kit has been available at the retail level. I've got the '98 and '99 issues of the stock and custom versions, and it looks like 2002 was the last, and maybe only, time the stock version was reissued, so it's been about 16 years or so. I can forsee a few being sold for parts on eBay after the kart and excellent inline six-cylinder engine are removed, though.

Since this month is truck-heavy at Round2...:

• 2 months later...

AMT 1139  -  Hostess Ford C-600 Delivery Truck

Polar Lights MKA34 -  1/25 NYC Auxiliary Service Logos Decal Set

Polar Lights MKA35 - Vintage Coca-Cola Santa Claus Big Rig Graphics Decal Set

Edited by Casey

Between having a few of the Louisville/C-600 delivery trucks already, I'm not exactly looking for another one. But with the Hostess logos, I just might have to. If it's a newly acquired license, might we expect more re-releases with Hostess decals from Round 2? Just like the current Coca Cola fad? Also, what are the NYC decals?

9 hours ago, av405 said:

If it's a newly acquired license, might we expect more re-releases with Hostess decals from Round 2?

I would think so. Maybe another van, panel truck, or sedan delivery or some sort with Twinkies, etc. decals, much like Round2 did with the Nestle candy decals a few year ago.

9 hours ago, av405 said:

Also, what are the NYC decals?

I'm guessing Round2 designed some extra markings in addition to those which will be included with the forthcoming AMT Chevy Police Van reissue.