Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 for 2018

Casey

Until we get more info for a specific topic for each kit, here are some reissues coming from Round2 in 2018:

AMT-1086  -  Construction Bulldozer

AMT-1090  -  Peterbuilt Cabover 352 Pacemaker

AMT-1094  -  Coca-Cola '55 Chevy Cameo Pickup

Edited by Casey

8 hours ago, Bennyg said:

Really waiting on the Mack DM 800. 

I'm surprised that one hasn't been reissued yet, but given Round2 pattern of reissuing kits which were reissued by Model King, it seems to only be a matter of when, not if.

It'll be interesting to see how Round2 handles the box art for the Caterpillar bulldozer, since they seem to have intentionally left out the manufacturer's name. I suppose "CONSTRUCTION" could easily replace "CATERPILLAR" on the box:

Caterpillar_Bulldozer_AMT_T818.jpg

I just Hope they spend some tooling money and engrave the Grille holes for this release, instead of using a decal. Not holding my breath on that, however. Would be great if they were to release the LowBoy Trailer too. With all the great Truck Tractors they've put out in the last few years, it would be a no brainer for a the Big Rig Builders to purchase all three.

P.S. Wanna bet that the well used "Universal Construction" logos are on the decal sheet near the 'grille' dots?

54 minutes ago, alexis said:

I just Hope they spend some tooling money and engrave the Grille holes for this release, instead of using a decal. Not holding my breath on that, however. Would be great if they were to release the LowBoy Trailer too. With all the great Truck Tractors they've put out in the last few years, it would be a no brainer for a the Big Rig Builders to purchase all three.

P.S. Wanna bet that the well used "Universal Construction" logos are on the decal sheet near the 'grille' dots?

The lowboy trailer has already been out and is still easy to find.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

It'll be interesting to see how Round2 handles the box art for the Caterpillar bulldozer, since they seem to have intentionally left out the manufacturer's name. I suppose "CONSTRUCTION" could easily replace "CATERPILLAR" on the box:

The latest reissue from the early 2000's didn't have the Caterpillar name either most likely because AMT didn't want to pay the licensing to Caterpillar to use the name.

Edited by Force

2 minutes ago, Force said:

The latest reissue from the early 2000's didn't have the Caterpillar name either most likely because AMT didn't want to pay the licensing to Caterpillar.

True, but I was assuming Round2 is going to use retro box art as seen in Neil's post above. Not sure if that image is official or not, but it works for me. Maybe Caterpillar wasn't interested in licensing to Round2, period? I mean what do they get out of a reissued model kit of a 1970-ish bulldozer?

2 hours ago, alexis said:

I doubt that will ever happen. Not sure how the part is positioned in the mold, but I'm not even sure it would be worth the time and effort. I mean, it'd look far better with actual holes versus a decal, but would most buyers care either way?

I wouldn't bet against the "Universal Construction" decals being included. ;)

Money...that's the basic reason for the whole thing with licensing.
Caterpillar license out to allmost everything from toys and models to phones, boots and clothes and everyone has to pay them to use their name and logos...and Caterpillar is known to protect the brand hard.

Edited by Force

Looking at the parts on an old built up, it appears that in order to show the Holes, metal would have to be added to the tool. This means that the grille will never be altered. If it was a matter on moving metal away or grinding it off, it might happen. To add pins to the tool, in order to have holes? Notgonnahappen. Maybe they'll at least give us a corrected decal.

3 minutes ago, alexis said:

Maybe they'll at least give us a corrected decal.

I'm betting they will. It appears only RC2 went the "close enough" route and reissued it with a grille decal containing 1/3 the correct number of holes. :rolleyes:

When I was a kid, long time ago, but some say I still am, I found one of those bulldozers at the thrift shop, all there, except for the instructions! Tried putting it together from just the box art, but it was a complete failure. 

Now I need to get one and finish the darn thing once and for all! 

Speaking of licensing I always wondered about the Revell Beall Tank Trailer. The original issue had "Beall" in big text on the box but the reissue didn't have it, yet the Beall name was still on the mud flaps. I wonder if that was an "oops".

I've never built the dozer but it might be fun to put one together after all these years.

Possibly...the Coca Cola license is probably cheaper than Caterpillar. ;)

I think the licensing thing has blown out of proportion, manufacturers are so keen about getting out as much money as possible from the brand but they are blind to the fact that they get "free adverticing" from a hobby like this, and that has a value much like the "product placing" they do in movies and TV productions where they give out free stuff to be seen in plain view.
How many here have learned about products and what they are from this hobby...I know I have...everyone know Good Year and Firestone don't make donuts, no they make tires...just an example.
Of course they want to protect their brand and should do so, but in this case the name is not used to increase the sales...it's a model of the thing originally made a long time ago for crying out loud, so one think they could be a bit easier on the licensing for this kind of thing.
Ok, enough ranting.

Edited by Force

On 21.12.2017 at 7:15 AM, Casey said:

Until we get more info for a specific topic for each kit, here are some reissues coming from Round2 in 2018:

AMT-1086  -  Construction Bulldozer

AMT-1090  -  Peterbuilt Cabover 352 Pacemaker

AMT-1094  -  Coca-Cola '55 Chevy Cameo Pickup

The 352 Pacemaker Coe ? Really ?

24 minutes ago, Force said:

It's probably more politically correct to use Coca Cola than to use Budweiser, Miller, Coors, Schlitz and Pabst as they did in the 70's for some of the AMT trucks and trailers.

I remember seeing the beer livery kits in the 1979 AMT catalog as a kid and noticing they were not sold in certain states. 

On 12/21/2017 at 11:19 AM, alexis said:

Check with Jamie at Moluminum.com. He may still have some of these photo etch sheets for the dozer kit.

88B420D5-BA3C-4983-922E-F8EE44D5114E.jpeg

Don't see anything on that list that I don't already have, so I got to hope that they continue working on bringing some other old tools to life. Would really like to see some new pick up kits one of these days, the Revell snapper Raptor trucks are about the closest we have to a modern tool. Maybe Meng will update the F350 tool to newer body specs?