Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bob Glidden Thunderbolt

Jim_Kampmann

I was a huge Bob Glidden fan, so I thought I would share this model I built when the Tasca Ford Thunderbolt kit came out in the 80's. I saw pictures of the real car and had to build a model of it!
I had to cut and paste a couple of Fred Cady decal sheets, plus I tubbed the chassis and added the appropriate details to the model. It's held up pretty well over time. 
Thanks for looking!

Jim Kampmann

IMG_9728.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg

IMG_9735.jpg

IMG_9738.jpg

• Like 1

That car was ran in the early 80’s by Harold Stout , I believe.  I can remember reading about it in car craft or ss&drag illustrated.  Bob built it, of course, but don’t know if he ever drove it much, other than testing.  Bob said that there was a lot of work in that car.  

Anyway, your model looks dead on, including the wheels (motor wheel flys, I think).

Well that's a great looking Thunderbolt! It's also nice to see some different versions on this kit (Even though early to mid '60s Drag Cars are my favorites), and it looks like you've done a great job on this. Especially my hat is off because of that flawless decal work! Overall a very nice build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

"JIM KAMPMAN" and Anybody Else Who Might Be Able to Help Me...……...... 

I'm in the middle of building a 1:18th Scale BOB GLIDDEN THUNDERBOLT..... I'm Having a Big Problem Finding the Bob Glidden Decals for a 1:18th Scale.  I went ahead and placed the Red Stripes on myself. I'm looking for 3-EACH DECALS or STICKERS with white stars on a Blue Background so I can do the hood and the sides of the Front fenders. I've looked everywhere for American Flag Decals or Stickers big enough I could cut the Star Section out of three individual Flags to make the Hood and both sides of the front fenders. All the other product Decals I have and can use Decals I have found for Bob Glidden's Name. Any Idea's or where I may be able to find something Will you or anyone who reads this can help me out I'd Appreciate it......…

Take Care My Friends"...

…."Skip".....................….  

GLIDDEN 1-18TH THUNDERBOLT-02.jpg

GLIDDEN 1-18TH THUNDERBOLT-03.jpg

GLIDDEN 1-18TH THUNDERBOLT-04.jpg

GLIDDEN 1-18TH THUNDERBOLT-05.jpg

• Like 1