Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old built up has remains of styrofoam packing peanuts stuck to it. Any way to remove the residue?

Just picked up an old built up that's probably from the late Sixties or very early Seventies. Looks like it might be painted with Testors Metalflake Blue.

Apparently it was stored for some time in white styrofoam packing peanuts, and they have stuck in places to the painted body and the tires. Anybody have any luck removing this styrofoam crud from a model? All I've tried so far is some mild picking with my fingernail which did nearly nothing on the body, but did remove a couple pieces from a tire....which unfortunately is the easiest part of a car to replace. The car is nicely customized and I'd like to save the paint if possible. There might be some putty work on it too, so stripping and repainting would be last resort in this case.

If just picking and then polishing doesn't take it off, I'd try isopropyl alcohol. This will have little if any effect on Testor enamel, but WILL take off AMT lacquer, if that's what it is. Experiment in a hidden area. 

If that didn't work, I'd move up to naphtha (lighter fluid), non-acetone nail polish remover, or Goo Gone. Again, test each on an inconspicuous area before proceeding. 

It's possible WD-40 might work, too. Again, TEST. 

Don't let the body soak in any of this stuff. Just try on a paper towel in a localized area. 

And DO let us know what, if anything, worked. 

Yes, the tires will be easiest to deal with. The Styrofoam could have embedded itself in the (still soft) paint.  If that's the case, then there won't be much that can be done to save the paint job. Unfortunately the solvents which would melt Styrofoam (polystyrene) also attack paints.  If Snake's ideas don't work, I think the only way to deal with will be mechanical abrasion (scraping or sanding, then polishing out the paint). But if the paint is metallic, that will probably affect the paint's color.