Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Mustang Boss 302

Snake45

Found this at the local toy show last year. I've never seen another like it. Front end is better than the Revell, size is better than the MPC. Far as I can tell, this is the best '69 Mustang in 1/24-1/25 since the AMT annual died. 

I'll probably take all the promotional lettering off it with acetone-free nail polish. 

Looking forward to the new Revell kit. Till then, this fills the slot on my shelf. 

69MustangDC02.jpg.5bd48d119b04b1c2a71b9d4fad9ea104.jpg

69MustangDC03.jpg.74f612801698f7e472ff2295a6380683.jpg

69MustangDC04.jpg.2b00cafbf6022073f8e3f29138c154f7.jpg

69MustangDC05.jpg.f06eb51974746a81fbf067c227315fc5.jpg

On 12/25/2017 at 11:07 AM, Snake45 said:

Found this at the local toy show last year. I've never seen another like it. Front end is better than the Revell, size is better than the MPC. Far as I can tell, this is the best '69 Mustang in 1/24-1/25 since the AMT annual died. 

I'll probably take all the promotional lettering off it with acetone-free nail polish. 

Looking forward to the new Revell kit. Till then, this fills the slot on my shelf. 

69MustangDC02.jpg.5bd48d119b04b1c2a71b9d4fad9ea104.jpg

69MustangDC03.jpg.74f612801698f7e472ff2295a6380683.jpg

69MustangDC04.jpg.2b00cafbf6022073f8e3f29138c154f7.jpg

69MustangDC05.jpg.f06eb51974746a81fbf067c227315fc5.jpg

Hey Merry Christmas Snake!

that's a pretty cool looking Boss, and I almost bought one myself. Those wheels are great, as is the stance. Only reason i did not was, it didn't have enough detail.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting...who made that?  I recall seeing a '69 Boss 302 die cast in 1/24th by ERTL years ago..maybe in WIX livery at one time? 

I went looking for it online, found it listed as ERTL 2012 issue. 

I was thinking of stripping off all the lettering and redoing it as a Mach I or even a base Sportroof Mustang, but the Boss 302's unique lack of quarter fender fake scoops kinda precludes that plan. So I might go with my standard fallback plan of a late-'70s daily driver, when these cars weren't worth much (due to rising gas and insurance prices) and were modified and driven with abandon by a few hard-core reprobates. (I know. I was one of them with a '69 Camaro.) 

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2017 at 11:41 AM, vamach1 said:

Here is the underside.  The independent rear is pretty cool.

Well, it's not an independent rear. It's a leaf sprung live axle with traction bars, staggered shocks and what appears to be a Watts link on the back. The linkage is wrong, because the left side should attach to a mount above the axle near the spring perch, not on the axle, the right side should attach to a mount below the axle near the spring perch and their would be a traversing cross brace for the center propeller to mount to.

Edited by THarrison351

On 2/6/2018 at 12:33 PM, THarrison351 said:

Well, it's not an independent rear. It's a leaf sprung live axle with traction bars, staggered shocks and what appears to be a Watts link on the back. The linkage is wrong, because the left side should attach to a mount above the axle near the spring perch, not on the axle, the right side should attach to a mount below the axle near the spring perch and their would be a traversing cross brace for the center propeller to mount to.

You are correct.  There is another thread all about the Watts link system.  I guess it is "floating" versus independent like a Corvette.  I suppose the parts on the model could be modified to be correct.

22 minutes ago, 57peppershaker said:

I wasnt aware of the nail polish trick Snake. Gotta try it on a die cast Tahoe.

I got it from another member here. I think it might have been Madhorseman, who posted earlier in the thread. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, Snake45 said:

I got it from another member here. I think it might have been Madhorseman, who posted earlier in the thread. 

Yes Snake I did tell You about me using that method....but! like I said becareful!!

Recently I bought a NAPA Alan Kulwicki Hooters Thunderbird and tried to remove the "THUNDERBIRD" on the front valance, and also removed the orange paint under it as well!!!!

1 hour ago, madhorseman said:

Yes Snake I did tell You about me using that method....but! like I said becareful!!

Recently I bought a NAPA Alan Kulwicki Hooters Thunderbird and tried to remove the "THUNDERBIRD" on the front valance, and also removed the orange paint under it as well!!!!

From my experience on stripping NASCAR diecast, pretty much everything that is pad printed can be removed with acetone or lacquer thinner. These are usually less shiny than the base paint. In most cases, that was all of the graphics that was added after the baked on enamel spray paint. The frustrating part came when they changed to decals with a clear coat. Acetone, lacquer thinner, oven cleaner, or Super Clean, wouldn't harm the finish. The clear coat was almost impervious to everything, but aircraft paint stripper.  Even then I would use a course sand paper on the finish to let the stripper get under the clear coat.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Y'all are using the NON-acetone stuff, right? It says so right on the label, right? 

Non acetone or not. flat black, or satin black or most any non gloss paint will be removed. As far as the NAPA die cast I bought, it looks as though the orange as applied right over the white so the orange didn't bite in. In other words, the white base coat should have been roughed 1st. so the orange applied over it would hold on better.

On 12/26/2017 at 11:20 AM, madhorseman said:

This is the one I bought instead. It's made by Unique Replicas, only draw back i found was that it's a bank.

image.png.adbf7d6c54b5181e67c5f2bd34b95a20.png

What i found was a black/red and white version, and used that nail polish remover trick to change the numbers to represent a Parnelli Jones Trans Am car.

I had an orange HD one too and wanted a Bud Moore car. I wiped the car strategically with acetone, sanded and repainted the orange red, the roof white as it should be, new decals and I think I had to paint the hood stripe too. This is an old picture, because the car is packed away.

IMG 0015

8 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

I had an orange HD one too and wanted a Bud Moore car. I wiped the car strategically with acetone, sanded and repainted the orange red, the roof white as it should be, new decals and I think I had to paint the hood stripe too. This is an old picture, because the car is packed away.

IMG 0015

Excellent low cost conversion.  I sure wish someone did a plastic race version.