Model Cars Magazine Forum

'61 Falcon Gasser

afx

16 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Recently, I saw a dilapidated, but restorable 63 Falcon Sprint Convertible. It was red with a red interior. It was beat to hell. I did not go on the property to look closer, but it looked like it was close to being a complete car. I will probably build my 63 convertible as that car in better days. I have a good selection of rebuildable Falcons to do. My sedans and convertible are old, restored and ready for primer and paint, while my Rancheros are unbuilt. 

I like Falcons too, and J.C.'s build reminds me of a fellow I worked with as a teenager who hot rodded a 61 Falcon. He radiused the rear wheelwells, and installed a hot 289. I cannot see myself putting a Chevy engine in a classic Ranchero. I have a resin 170 6 for my replica stock Ranchero build.

I love the idea of the straight 6cyl Ron....I have a few Id like to put them in as well.  60s Ford..Chevys...some just need to have them.   I love seeing all you guys work and ideas for builds here...very impressed with you guys work.

12 hours ago, afx said:

I know Ron is aware but Norm offers a nice straight-6.  Some of the Moebius Ford pickups include a nice straight-6 as well.

DSCN1985Image result for moebius models ford straight 6

The Replicas and Miniatures engine will work with the Falcon, and I plan to put one in a Maverick or Comet rebuildable I have. and the Mobieus engine will work on big cars and trucks of the era. I have both, and they are very nice.

18 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

The Replicas and Miniatures engine will work with the Falcon, and I plan to put one in a Maverick or Comet rebuildable I have. and the Mobieus engine will work on big cars and trucks of the era. I have both, and they are very nice.

Ron, I still have the 6 popper from my FM Falcon if you're interested. Let me know and I'll be happy to send it to you. Geno.

Very, VERY nice! Stance is perfect. I think the scoop is great, but of course it dates the model to 1970 or later.

At some point, the NHRA rulebook said that traction bars could be no longer than one-half the wheelbase, but I forget what year that came in.

But if you're building this as a present-day "gasser-ish" street freak, neither point means a thing, so, drive on! What color do you have in mind for the thing?