Model Cars Magazine Forum

'61 Falcon Gasser

afx

I’m really struggling with completing my builds but no the less I’m starting another project.   I bought this AMT ’61 Falcon as a builder.  The rear fenders were damaged from previously installed skirts and one of the vent posts was broken.  Rather than try to repair the post I just removed the other one along with all the body trim and emblems.   The chassis is from the Trumpeter Falcon, which  with a bit of work fits rather nicely.

DSCN5034DSCN5037DSCN5039

That Trumpeter chassis does indeed fit nicely. I’m sure this will be another great build from your workbench. Following .

p.s. You could put a sb Ford (w/2x4bbl)in it in stock location, use slightly raised stock suspension,small hood scoop and presto: killer C or D/MP (Modified Production)

Edited by doggie427

Wayne, haven't yet decided yet on the motor.  I do want raised suspension, thinking maybe the Mustang Street Freak as a donor - I need to track down a kit.

Thanks for following Steve.

I used the Trumpeter kit door panels as a template and traced them out on .020" flat stock.  Added some reinforcing on the back side to increase the stiffness.  Fabricated a simple bulkhead at the rear.

DSCN5043

I cut open the hood and removed the windshield wipers.  The glass had a nasty tire melt mark on the driver side along the top edge.  I was able to sand/polish most of it out.

DSCN5040

Edited by afx

This is a very interesting project, especially since I know that you're doing an amazing work with it. We don't see too many of these old Drag Racers built around here...;) Great work already, that Trumpeter chassis fits surprisingly well on this older Falcon body. Can't wait to see more pics.

It's a funny thing. I have only built one early Falcon ( a '61 Ranchero about 40 some odd years ago), but I have several to do, as I just picked up a '62 Sedan to clean up and restore.

I like where that one you are doing is going. A set of Ansen Sprints, or Cragar S/S  wheels would look great on it.

That's looking great JC! One of my (many) stalled projects is a 60 Falcon gasser. I never thought of using the Trumpeter chassis, but I really like the way it fits! I widened a 67 Mustang chassis and got it to fit decent, but the Trumpeter has the advantage of wider wheel tubs which would be nice. If you want to use a 60 grille, I made one that will work without a front bumper. Removing the bumper leaves a "notch" in the grille which I fixed by grafting a piece in from another grille. I also removed the molded in headlights and replaced them with headlight buckets. Norman cast it for me so he probably still has the mold. Are you coming to the next MAMA meeting? If so, please bring it along and I'll bring mine.

Thanks Dave.  Yea I plan to attend the meeting, would like to see your '60 grille.  I had the Trumpeter chassis left over from my '64 Falcon T/A build and the tubbed wheel wheels saved some work.

Edited by afx

11 hours ago, Dave Toups said:

If you want to use a 60 grille, I made one that will work without a front bumper. Removing the bumper leaves a "notch" in the grille which I fixed by grafting a piece in from another grille. I also removed the molded in headlights and replaced them with headlight buckets.

I've done the same thing! How about a photo?

JC, if you want to skip the front bumper, this is the way the front pan looks:

falcon-03.jpg.387a09c2bbc610fc4f871651bf75c374.jpg

Here's what mine looks like with the 67 Mustang chassis. As you can see, I had to add a lot of strip styrene to the edges to fill the gaps. After seeing yours, I'll probably switch to the Trumpeter chassis

IMG_20180102_191923.thumb.jpg.67322265ca3cf1c804a9ea6324a01031.jpg

Here's a shot of the 60 grille:

IMG_20180102_192000.thumb.jpg.071321236696d4c83b1a8dc13362db28.jpg

This is what it looks like in place. It's just taped in. I still have to do a lot of fitting. I have the front valence roughed in. I still need to add the holes. Oddly, the car I'm doing has a front bumper. I just wanted it to be separate from the grille.

IMG_20180102_192509.thumb.jpg.5f7b17603888aa30fe3ae49fd68ee305.jpg

IMG_20180102_191852.thumb.jpg.4e466c6bffcee7931d21156e00e158fb.jpg

Edited by Dave Toups