Model Cars Magazine Forum

'61 Falcon Gasser

afx

On 2/11/2018 at 9:48 AM, br67 said:

JC, what technique do you use to get your styrene to retain its shape when forming roll bars, headers etc? Btw loving this build

Thanks Brandon.  First I always use solid rod and not tubing which tends to kink when its bent. I use my fingers or round needle nose pliers to make the bends, then hold them over a candle to set the shape.  You can feel, in your fingers, the tension release from the bend.  It only takes a second or less depending on the thickness of the material. 

Some of the tools I use.

DSCN4758

Edited by afx

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

In referring back to this photo..........

What color did you paint those carburetors JC? That engine looks superb!! I like the natural lay of the ignition wires.

Thanks Joe.  Carbs painted Tamiya Titanium Gold with a brown wash.

Image result for tamiya titanium gold

3 hours ago, afx said:

Thanks Joe.  Carbs painted Tamiya Titanium Gold with a brown wash.

Thanks for the help. Looks like that's the way I'm going to go with carburetor painting from now on. I've been looking for the right color to paint carburetors with for the last 4 or 5 builds. I ended up with more of a goldish chrome which was okay but I like this a lot better.

39 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks for the help. Looks like that's the way I'm going to go with carburetor painting from now on. I've been looking for the right color to paint carburetors with for the last 4 or 5 builds. I ended up with more of a goldish chrome which was okay but I like this a lot better.

Here is the color without the wash.

On 1/17/2018 at 7:17 PM, afx said:

I really like the Radir wheels (the steelies above came from the T-Bolt kit) however I haven't seen any period photos with them installed on a gasser.

Not to hijack, but there are a (very) few pictured on the George Class remembers 'site:

3693397.jpg

4368085.jpg

57Flying20Farmer-vi.jpg

I think your wheels and tire choice looks pretty darn good, though. The small Firestones up front work well on smaller compact cars kike the Falcon, too.

Was this chassis piece from the custom Faclon or the stock version? Or are they the same?

Love where this is headed. :)

Edited by Casey

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Not to hijack, but there are a (very) few pictured on the George Class remembers 'site:

I think your wheels and tire choice looks pretty darn good, though. The small Firestones up front work well on smaller compact cars kike the Falcon, too.

Was this chassis piece from the custom Faclon or the stock version? Or are they the same?

Love where this is headed. :)

I'm happy with my wheel choice for the Falcon but good to know Radir wheels can work for future projects-thanks for the photos.  The chassis I used came from the stock plus kit. I also have the convertible and if I'm not mistaken it has the same chassis. Don't have the street & strip or the custom version. 

Image result for trumpeter falcon

Not to hijack neither, just some inspiration. JC, keep us posted, this is gonna be way cool. I love these old Falcons and you don't see them being built often. This is one I converted from a Franklin Mint model that had serious issues. The white stock one is what it started out as. I can't wait to see yours when it's done. I used several parts from the '57 Ford wagon gasser for this build.

DSCN4726.jpg

DSCN4727.jpg

DSCN3467.JPG

Edited by Geno

JC, that is coming along fantastic, I'm excited to see this done, tow vehicle, trailer and all. The Ranchero is a cheapie Motormax, I just changed the wheels out and detailed it a little. My eyes are glued on yours. You're nailing it, keep up the great work.B):D

18 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

I have no clue how I missed this one..?   Very cool project.   I have the same car but am trying to restore it back to factory stock.   I too have been wanting to build some rare team sets.

I am really enjoying this build, as I finally scored a 62 to do up stock. I plan to do all of the 1st gen Falcons in Scale. I may do a Ranchero as a gasser, as I have 3 of them, including an original Styline kit.

3 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I am really enjoying this build, as I finally scored a 62 to do up stock. I plan to do all of the 1st gen Falcons in Scale. I may do a Ranchero as a gasser, as I have 3 of them, including an original Styline kit.

Very cool Ron...yeah we owned a few of the Falcons in the family.  

61 2 door sedan.

62 4 door wagon

64 Falcon HT and wagon

65 Falcon HT sprint

66 Falcon HT

69 Falcon HT

I have always had a soft spot for these too.

4 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

A Ranchero gasser? Yep.

Picture

• Like 1

8 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Very cool Ron...yeah we owned a few of the Falcons in the family.  

61 2 door sedan.

62 4 door wagon

64 Falcon HT and wagon

65 Falcon HT sprint

66 Falcon HT

69 Falcon HT

I have always had a soft spot for these too.

Recently, I saw a dilapidated, but restorable 63 Falcon Sprint Convertible. It was red with a red interior. It was beat to hell. I did not go on the property to look closer, but it looked like it was close to being a complete car. I will probably build my 63 convertible as that car in better days. I have a good selection of rebuildable Falcons to do. My sedans and convertible are old, restored and ready for primer and paint, while my Rancheros are unbuilt. 

I like Falcons too, and J.C.'s build reminds me of a fellow I worked with as a teenager who hot rodded a 61 Falcon. He radiused the rear wheelwells, and installed a hot 289. I cannot see myself putting a Chevy engine in a classic Ranchero. I have a resin 170 6 for my replica stock Ranchero build.