Model Cars Magazine Forum

Double "A" Dale

MoparMark

Hi All . I haven't posted anything for awhile but I'm back with my latest build. I decided a nice tribute to Dale Armstrong would be one of his rides and the one I liked most is his Satellite Alcohol funny car.I started with what i think was a Gooch resin satellite body then pruned and tweaked it to get that real slammed look and stance of the body. Made a custom chassis and fabricated a new intake manifold,body tin of coarse, and a hand full of loose parts and bits. Made my own inkjet decals and used Molotow liquid chrome for the rims ,pretty cool paint. I also made a custom fuel cell and chassis tins covered with the' tie dye ' anodizing look with decals Ive made. I'm also working on the companion alcohol dragster he ran at the same time

20171224_084616.jpg

sattelite.jpg

side.jpg

20171224_085113.jpg

03_armstrong.jpg

20171224_095923.jpg

20171224_095220.jpg

Dale Armstrong was an amazing racer. You've made an amazing model as a tribute to him.

Is the chassis modified plastic or brass? More details would be appreciated.

I wish you'd made a WIP on this one. I'm sure I'd learned a lot from this build. Are the decals from an Alps? Is an Alcoholic next?

Without a doubt one of the best funny cars I've seen modeled.

Thanks all for the great responses,   doggie427 you asked about the blower, I grabbed one out of a Revell late model Top Fuel kit like a ARMY kit or Ken Bernstien Bud King kit. Yes I do plan on posting progress on the rail build as I can remember to do so,I'll do my best.    Thanks again!

IBorg, In answer to a few questions, I made the decals with Photoshop and an Canon iP7220 inkjet printer with clear film. I painted the back of the car alclad white  aluminum, bright  candy silver under the stripes and Molotow chrome paint under the Dale area and laid the decals over that and the chassis is modified plastic. The body is right to use for the ALCOHOLIC car , the only mods to it are reducing the front wheel humps and making a roll cage hump in the rear window. Thanks again for the copliments

Alcoholic-pit-3-Edmon.jpg

That's an impressive Funny Car for sure. The paint and decal work is just simply perfect, especially because the black paint is so tricky to get right. Also your detailing is looking very good. Everything looks really good, nice work!