Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 9 Models for 2017

Bernard Kron

Here are my models for 2017. I just finished the last one. 9 in all. Of course, more decal experiments, and the usual complement of '32 Fords. But this year was notable to me for my first non-hot rod, drag or kustom model, the Ferrari 250GT SWB. There will be more. It's my goal to broaden my range of themes and subjects as my skills continue to improve (which, thankfully, they still seem to be).

Thanx to you all for your interest and support.
All the best this holiday season and for a happy and fulfilling 2018.
B.

"Little Red Roadster" Revell '29 Ford
1_Red_Roadster_2017_Summary_Web.jpg

Pontiac "Club Bonneville" LSR car
2_Club_Bonneville_2017_Summnary_Web.jpg

'32 Ford Fordor Jalopy Racer
3_32_Fordor_Jalopy_2017_Summary_Web.jpg

"Little Feather" Jr. Fueler
4_Little_Feather_Junior_Fueler_2017_Summ

"Nova Express" AWB
5_Nova_Express_AWB_2017_Summary_Web.jpg

'32 Ford Full-Bellypan Lakes Racer
6_32_Ford_Bellypan_4_2017_Summary_Web.jp

AMT Ferrari 250GT SWB
7_Ferrari_250_GT_SWB_2017_Summary_Web.jp

'32 Ford Tudor Hi-Boy
8_32_Ford_Tudor_2017_Summary_Web.jpg

The Race of Gentleman Beach Racing Pre-War Style '29 Ford Roadster
9_TROG_1_2017_Summary_Web.jpg

Thanks to you all for the extremely kind and generous response. 2017 turned out to be a bit of a surprise - it kinda snuck up on me when it came to car modeling. I did far more models than I thought I had, and more of them involved techniques and approaches that were relatively new to me than I remembered. Probably the most important one was using large-scale decals in lieu of paint on several of them. The green stripes on the jalopy (around the beltline), the "Club Bonneville" and the Tri-Colore on the Ferrari, are all decals. They were all done because I was having serious paint problems with a batch of white primer that refused to provide adhesion. So when I applied masking the tape would pull up the underlying color coat. So the stripes were born of necessity. But on the Nova Express and on Little Feather, decals were the only way to get the precision and detail the paint scheme required. The roof and hood stripes on the Nova Express have a fine black edged for an Op-Art effect, and the stripes are exactly spaced. On the Little Feather, the white and yellow panels and the lettering are all printed together on one decal, much as it would be in a kit.

The paint problems eventually solved themselves and I was able to "celebrate" by doing the black Tudor - shiny is a wonderful thing!

As far as bodywork was considered the "victories" were the relatively seamless chop on the Tudor and much of the Club Bonneville.  The Tudor  used a technique I learned from posts by the RRR-Kit Carson crew (Jon & Wes - Thanks!) and which Dennis Lacy posted with respect specifically to a Tudor which inspired me to have a swing. The Club Bonneville had a lot going on, including moving the fin from the center of the deck to the headrest (the headrest itslef having to be fabricated) and the tonneau cover and cowling, as well as miscellaneous fill panels where the chrome stripe and bumperettes would have been.

And in 2017 I landed up doing some curbsides. The Club Bonneville is definitely one, and the bellypan Deuce roadster, despite the fact that there's a motor under the removable hood, has no real chassis, and with the hood in place, has almost no interior bits visible. It's a style of building I've always respected and I hope to do more in 2018. It promotes focus on the essential details and the overall impact.

I'm sure in 2018 I'll be doing more decals. My first project for 2018 is a second TROG car and it involves some heavy weathering, which is great fun and something I haven't done in a while. I'd also like to do more sports and sports-racing cars and perhaps some modern subjects as well. I have all of those in my stash and now that the paint gods are cooperating again, I may get to them.

All the best to you all for a happy and fulfilling 2018!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks again to all of you. I'm especially flattered to see the comments from some of my modeling friends and from builders whose work I follow and admire, and also to encounter new names whose work I hope to see more of in the coming year. That's one aspect that I enjoy so much about the Year In Review posts.

This really was quite a satisfying modeling year for me, I must admit. I can only hope that 2018, for me and for all of us, is a happy and fulfilling one. Happy New Year everyone!!!