Model Cars Magazine Forum

Camel Lotus - Nakajima

stevegt738

Very nice build....I also did one of these many years ago, this is a really wonderful kit to build. Tamiya F1 at it's best. I love the way the outer body "skin" fits over the the carbon fiber chassis. I built my kit before it was illegal to say the word "Camel" in public because "Joe Camel" would make 5 year olds take up smoking. I went the conventional route and modeled the Senna version, putting him in the car as well, because back then...he WAS the man, period.

The only reasons Nakajima was allowed to drive for Lotus was, 1, Honda wanted a Japanese driver somewhere in the cars that ran Honda engines, and 2, Senna was hands down the best driver of the day, spoiled and self centered beyond belief, Senna would never allow a strong second team driver to get anywhere near his team. He felt that he was the best (he was) and therefore he should get all of the "resources" of the team. Lotus was a little limited in finances, so Senna took nearly all the cash and technical savy that Lotus could gather. Anyway, very well done, Steve. P.S. I forgot to mention the third reason for Nakajima being there, he brought a lot of "Japanese" cash in the form of sponsership to the team....he basically paid his way into an F1 ride.

Edited by Peter Lombardo

Peter, You summed up the Senna/Lotus situation pretty well. But boy he had to work at McClaren when he found out Prost was not going to be a push over. That was some great racing between those two.

I am going to do a McClaren/Senna in the future. What i am trying to achieve is a different driver with each model. So a few 2nd drivers will get a show just to make this work.

Thanks Steve...I used to love to watch F1. Back in the early 90's, I would get up early on Sunday (if there was a race on), make a pot of coffee, set the VCR and watch the race live and tape it for later viewing too. I thought Senna was the guy to watch. I was watching the day he died in Imola when he hit the wall at 180 mph. It was never the same after that. I enjoyed watching Hill, Mansell, Hakkinen, Schumacher and Villeneuvue win championships, but without the crazy Brazilian Senna running, I just didn't care as much. Most things I read about Ayrton were not that flattering, but I didn't care about his personal life, I was fascinated with his driving talent.

You are absolutely right about the Prost / Senna wars. Senna actually took Prost out of the last race of the season one year so that he, Senna, would win the championship. I think what Senna did to Prost in the Japanese Grand Prix in 1990 sums up the bitter rivalry better than anything. Senna held a very slim lead over Prost (Senna was driving for McLaren and Prost for Ferrari) going into the last race of the year. Senna deliberately crashed into Prost, taking both of them out of the race, thereby securing a world driving championship win for himself at McLaren. There was no love between them. Most authorities give the edge to Senna in shear driving talent but the edge to Prost in intelligence. Prost was nick named the “Professor†because he could give a “lesson†to just about all drivers, but Senna wasn’t having any of that. Aah, those were the days.

Thanks Steve...I used to love to watch F1. Back in the early 90's, I would get up early on Sunday (if there was a race on), make a pot of coffee, set the VCR and watch the race live and tape it for later viewing too. I thought Senna was the guy to watch. I was watching the day he died in Imola when he hit the wall at 180 mph. It was never the same after that. I enjoyed watching Hill, Mansell, Hakkinen, Schumacher and Villeneuvue win championships, but without the crazy Brazilian Senna running, I just didn't care as much. Most things I read about Ayrton were not that flattering, but I didn't care about his personal life, I was fascinated with his driving talent.

You are absolutely right about the Prost / Senna wars. Senna actually took Prost out of the last race of the season one year so that he, Senna, would win the championship. I think what Senna did to Prost in the Japanese Grand Prix in 1990 sums up the bitter rivalry better than anything. Senna held a very slim lead over Prost (Senna was driving for McLaren and Prost for Ferrari) going into the last race of the year. Senna deliberately crashed into Prost, taking both of them out of the race, thereby securing a world driving championship win for himself at McLaren. There was no love between them. Most authorities give the edge to Senna in shear driving talent but the edge to Prost in intelligence. Prost was nick named the “Professor†because he could give a “lesson†to just about all drivers, but Senna wasn’t having any of that. Aah, those were the days.

Wow, nice. :lol:

RIP SENNA...you will never be forgotten and always one of the best DRIVERS to ever set foot in a race car! :(