Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMW M3 1987 spec JPS livery

ShawnS

Hi guys,
I'm finally back building again. This one is the BMW M3 that Jim Richards won the 1987 Australian Touring Car Championship with. The kit is from Beemax with wheels from Scale Production and decals from Decalcas. I have back dated the model from 1991 DTM spec to 1987 Group A spec by modifying the front airdam and rear wing, I scribed a fuel flap, fitted a side exit exhaust and added detail to the interior door cards and modified the dash to analogue gauges. I have also changed the mirrors and moved the air jacks to match references of the 1:1 car. There was a fair bit of work to get it sitting just right because the scale production wheels are smaller than the kit supplied wheels so a straight swap leaves the car sitting on it's belly with JDM/tuner style camber on all four corners. Enjoy.

K71vSh.jpg
eWdnaE.jpg
Y08ucg.jpg
whOyMg.jpg
fdXnbx.jpg

The Decalcas decals are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen they went on easily and have reflective gold graphics, I took some photos outside to see if I could get the reflective gold to pop
3MFnNi.jpg
48ICWy.jpg
s65pXe.jpg
6YEOwf.jpg
Thanks for looking
Cheers
ShawnS

11 hours ago, droogie said:

Excellent model! What was your source for the decals.

I got them from hiroboy.com earlier in the year but they are listed as sold out now, spotmodel.com do have them in stock if you are interested..

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Cheers

ShawnS

FWIW if you wanted to build the team car (I got two sets of the decals) or anyone looking to make one of the older Gr. A cars, S.K. Decal sells a resin "transkit" for the Beemax kit that comes with the modified spoiler, front air dam, and mirrors included.  They also have a set of three piece resin BBS Wheels that are sized to fit the Beemax tires (and ergo don't drag the ground the way the S.P. ones do).  S.K. products can be found on eBay, MediaMix Hobbies, as well as directly from them via their Facebook page.