Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage 1:32nd Revell/AMT 56 Buick

peekay

My oldest kit, apparently bought in Zürich in 1956/7. Nothing damaged or missing, just minimal chrome damage on the rear bumper and most parts off the trees.

Thought some of you might like to take a look:

2v2uMySa5xAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uMySb8xAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uMySeNxAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uMySZrxAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uMySQjxAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by peekay

Very interesting! I'd think that it would be much easier to tool up bodies in this multipiece way than to do it with big molds with sliding inserts for one-piece bodies. If someone would issue 1/24-1/25 cars that had never been kitted before, done this way, would you buy them? I sure would. Been building model airplanes for more than 50 years and multipiece assembly doesn't bother me in the least but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about the idea. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very interesting! I'd think that it would be much easier to tool up bodies in this multipiece way than to do it with big molds with sliding inserts for one-piece bodies. If someone would issue 1/24-1/25 cars that had never been kitted before, done this way, would you buy them? I sure would. Been building model airplanes for more than 50 years and multipiece assembly doesn't bother me in the least but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about the idea. 

ICM makes a 1938 Opel Admiral Saloon in 1/24 with a multi-piece body.  It's a beautiful car, and the kit is a complete kit.  There are even some optional versions an enthusiastic and talented person could build using this kit as a start.  I usually prefer a single piece body, but we won't see this car in any other form.

I'm with Snake on this. Experience in building aircraft models with multi-piece fuselage sections makes tackling the multi-piece car bodies relatively pain and frustration-free. If some company decided to tool up multi-piece bodied subjects which haven't been previously kitted, please take my money. I'm in.

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you for sharing this with us. I love Buicks, and I envy you for having this kit. When are you going to build it? 

I put it on a Swiss auction site last week, which is why I took the photos. No bites so far. I would have loved to have built it as I have enjoyed building other 1.32 kits and I agree with  the others - a multi piece body would not be a deterrent. But I've got enough started projects for a lifetime (I'm 67) so I'm in a selling mood at the moment.

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yes indeed! But I would want them engineered in such a way that the body could be assembled before painting. Here is the instruction sheet for the Buick (sorry but my scanner is in a bad mood today):

2v2uz21cnxAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

2v2uz21wqxAgWB5.jpgHosted on Fotki

What an unbelievable find. This and the Revell's  '56 Ford Convertible and the '56 Ford F-100 pickup were some of the first kits I built as a child. The multi part body was difficult to build at the time but they did make a very well proportioned body when done. I would like to see this subject redone today in 1/25th.  

6 hours ago, peekay said:

I put it on a Swiss auction site last week, which is why I took the photos. No bites so far.

Peter... I had a look at the Swiss e * * y website but couldn't find your 1:32 Revell / AMT '56 Buick...... maybe I'm looking at the wrong Swiss auction site !

Something is telling me to buy this kit, and yet it makes no sense because I build 1:24 scale and non-American model cars...... but I do find it interesting.

David

15 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I personally like the idea. As Pyro has taught us better a bad kit than no kit at all. Fact is id love some of their classics and brass cars scaled up to 1:24, even with a multi-piece body.

I'll second that about the Pyro brass kits.  They have a respectable amount of detail even if they were blown up to 1/24 or 1/25,   and a Mercer in the same scale as MPC's Stutz Bearcat.

I will agree that its better to have a kit that needs some work than none at all, but there are kits where it you could argue that it might be easier to try and build from scratch than try and whip them into shape.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2017 at 2:43 AM, peekay said:

Yes indeed! But I would want them engineered in such a way that the body could be assembled before painting. 

I would have to agree 100%. This is the biggest draw back for me. I have been working with some of these & wonder how I can smooth the seams & do the detailing on them. Very challenging, indeed

Edited by #1 model citizen

On 12/30/2017 at 7:08 AM, Foxer said:

The reason I switched from planes, ships and armor to cars WAS the MODERN AMT ONE PIECE bodies! I looked at the multi-piece Revells and though they were dumb, undo-able anyway if you wanted a finish without big gaps in the paint. :)

Multi piece body? Not a problem. This is the Revell 60 (Really a 59) kit. One of the perks of the multi piece body is the pioneering use of the platform style interior. Much better than the one piece AMT/ SMP kit with its tub style interior. And no visible seams.

Revell1959Corvette-vi.jpg

P5230033-vi.jpg

26 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Multi piece body? Not a problem. This is the Revell 60 (Really a 59) kit. One of the perks of the multi piece body is the pioneering use of the platform style interior. Much better than the one piece AMT/ SMP kit with its tub style interior. And no visible seams.

P5230033-vi.jpg

That is a beauty. But I was only 12 in 1958 when I had those multi-piece thoughts ..  heheh

It's probably my "take the easy way out" mantra that has been driving me throughout my life and model building