Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage 1:32nd Revell/AMT 56 Buick

peekay

Dave, according to Scalemates (who I do not ever place much trust in) the original Ranchero, was tooled from the Wagon in 1960. It disappeared until 1973, then was out in a Retro box in 1979. Until this time the kit was stock height. The top was given a radical chop in order to "Freshen" the tooling and squeeze some dollars from it in 1984, in a "Saints" re-issue. Last time it was on the market was 1987, in a Primer Black guise. So, to judge by the kit history, the tool was stock until sometime in the early 1980's. It has since been released twice in it's chopped form.  I have hazy memories of both Tom Gaffney and Larry Greenberg in the pages of SAE writing reviews of the kit, and finding it unsatisfactory in many ways. For one thing the '80's was not the time for Multi-Piece Bodies, and the detail was just poor. (as it always had been). There was no real strong market for Nostalgia kits then, and chopping the Ranchero was seen as a "Swing-and-a-Miss" by Revell, trying (and failing) to be 'On-Trend' with current Automotive Fads.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-1332-57-ford-ranchero--946085

If anybody can get any profit from this tool, it would be Atlantis. The Ranch Wagon, if restored, might be the only way to really use this tooling, but the restoration cost might make the whole project too expensive to be worth doing. And, Atlantis is (rightly) very close mouthed about Future Plans, and what their Priorities are. I would think that sales of the new-ish Revell Caddy, would point the way towards whether more 1/25 Revell Automotive Subjects are worth the effort. By having Revell (and other) tooling in Vehicle, Aviation, Military, Space, and Naval categories, they cannot concentrate on any one segment of the market without potentially loosing out on other, more profitable kits.  

On 2/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, alexis said:

Dave, according to Scalemates (who I do not ever place much trust in) the original Ranchero, was tooled from the Wagon in 1960. It disappeared until 1973, then was out in a Retro box in 1979. Until this time the kit was stock height. The top was given a radical chop in order to "Freshen" the tooling and squeeze some dollars from it in 1984, in a "Saints" re-issue. Last time it was on the market was 1987, in a Primer Black guise. So, to judge by the kit history, the tool was stock until sometime in the early 1980's. It has since been released twice in it's chopped form.  I have hazy memories of both Tom Gaffney and Larry Greenberg in the pages of SAE writing reviews of the kit, and finding it unsatisfactory in many ways. For one thing the '80's was not the time for Multi-Piece Bodies, and the detail was just poor. (as it always had been). There was no real strong market for Nostalgia kits then, and chopping the Ranchero was seen as a "Swing-and-a-Miss" by Revell, trying (and failing) to be 'On-Trend' with current Automotive Fads.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-1332-57-ford-ranchero--946085

If anybody can get any profit from this tool, it would be Atlantis. The Ranch Wagon, if restored, might be the only way to really use this tooling, but the restoration cost might make the whole project too expensive to be worth doing. And, Atlantis is (rightly) very close mouthed about Future Plans, and what their Priorities are. I would think that sales of the new-ish Revell Caddy, would point the way towards whether more 1/25 Revell Automotive Subjects are worth the effort. By having Revell (and other) tooling in Vehicle, Aviation, Military, Space, and Naval categories, they cannot concentrate on any one segment of the market without potentially loosing out on other, more profitable kits.  

You are correct to not take much stock in Scalemates linage and history, as the actual re-issue date for the Revell 57 Ranchero was 1975, along with the 59 Skyliner and the '1960' (really a '59) Corvette. What they called a rebox was more than that, as the Moon disks were retooled to work with the newly added vinyl tires. And they also added newly tooled one piece windshield and backglass that didn't have to be cut from acetate.  This was followed up later by the Advent reissue, which IIRC lacked plating for the chrome.   I'm not so sure the Eldorado would have been the best litmus test for reissues of the multi piece series, as it is said to have some proprtional issues, but I'd like to get one. I think the 59 Corvette would be a winner, particularly if they went trough the tool to see if the stock wheel covers and plastic tires are still in there. Back to the Ranchero, the two cheapest options (short of unchanged re-issue) are the unchopped top, or a plain station wagon. But keep in mind that door lines are the hardest thing to restore. 

Realistically it would make more sense to do an all-new Ranchero in 1/25th scale.  The exteriors of the '57 and '58 are pretty much the same except for the front end and side trim.  The '59 would need a lot more work.  I think there would be more of a business case for a '68-'73 Ranchero GT.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 9:39 AM, Motor City said:

it would make more sense to do an all-new Ranchero in 1/25th scale.  The exteriors of the '57 and '58 are pretty much the same except for the front end and side trim.

My kingdom for a 1958 Ranchero! I positively LOVE 1958-1969 & 1960 Fords' stylling.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:39 AM, Motor City said:

Realistically it would make more sense to do an all-new Ranchero in 1/25th scale.  The exteriors of the '57 and '58 are pretty much the same except for the front end and side trim.  The '59 would need a lot more work.  I think there would be more of a business case for a '68-'73 Ranchero GT.  

I agree with the all new ‘57 Ranchero. Revell could use/modify  their current ’57 tool. I would like to see the multi piece ‘57 Ranch Wagon reissued too. 

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

A real pity there's no love for '50s Buicks.....

Bite your tongue! I LOVE the old Buicks, as well as the other GM stablemates of the 50s. I'd love to see a modern tooling of a '56 Olds...or Buick...or Pontiac...or Cadillac...or a '55...or a '57...or...

On 2/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, Motor City said:

We were speaking of Atlantis, however. Not Revell. I don't foresee any totally new automobile tools from Atlantis anytime soon. They have a big tool purchase to amortize. Unchopping the existing Ranchero, with its simple 2 piece tool would be much less expensive than an all new tool. 

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Any update on Atlantis reissuing the old Revell/AMT 1/32 scale ‘56 Buick? It’s been about a year or two now, since they announced it be coming back?

That’s what I’d like to know. The last Atlantis catalog (2021) I saw listed the release date “2022”. I keep looking for it in every email they send but I have yet to see any mention of it. 

10 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

I have one of the '56 Buicks on pre-order from Cult TV Man, his site shows this kit as "On hold at this time". No other info posted. It also seems to have disappeared from the pre-order page on Atlantis' website.

Wow! It was on the Atlantis pre-order page!?! I missed that!‍😵💫💫

Edited by #1 model citizen

8 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

Wow! It was on the Atlantis pre-order page!?! I missed that!‍😵💫💫

I guess your not the “#1 model citizen” after all, if you don’t that you can order directly from Atlantis. I pre-order just about all my Atlantis models directly from Atlantis itself. 

11 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

We were speaking of Atlantis, however. Not Revell. I don't foresee any totally new automobile tools from Atlantis anytime soon. They have a big tool purchase to amortize. Unchopping the existing Ranchero, with its simple 2 piece tool would be much less expensive than an all new tool. 

Presumably Revell Germany owns the Ranchero and Skyliner tooling, and Atlantis owns the 1/32 tooling for the old Revell-AMT kits.  Hopefully Atlantis will reissue all of these kits in their last versions.  I wouldn't expect them to eventually backdate any of the models such as the '55 Buick and Mercury, but it would be easier to do with the multi-piece bodies.

5 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I guess your not the “#1 model citizen” after all, if you don’t that you can order directly from Atlantis. I pre-order just about all my Atlantis models directly from Atlantis itself. 

😧 Not #1? Just saying I somehow missed that. I have scoured their up dates and release info ever since they first announced the Buick and don’t recall ever seeing it on the pre-order. But then I don’t think I’ve ever pre-ordered anything, so maybe I’m just not the #1 model shopper?🤔And I know you’re not my uncle!😁

15 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

They will be new stuff sooner than one might think based on the chatter in Vegas.  Also that big tool purchase didn't cost very much at all.  Remember Blitz/Quantum bought the entirety of the Revell US tooling for $49,999.00, and the stuff that Atlantis rescued were items that if Atlantis didn't purchase were going to be scrapped in order to empty out and leave the Elk Grove Village lease on time.  B/Q kept some of the U.S. based tooling as well, so Atlantis didn't even buy everything stored in Illinois, and then proceeded to sell the whole lot of NASCAR tooling to Salvinos J R.  

4 hours ago, Motor City said:

Presumably Revell Germany owns the Ranchero and Skyliner tooling

Sounds rather presumptuous to me...😁  I would think Blitz/Quantum/New Revell passed on both of those, and they went to Atlantis. The '59 Ford Skyliner was released a 2010 SSP release, so I doubt New Revell has much interest in releasing such a kit.

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Sounds rather presumptuous to me...😁  I would think Blitz/Quantum/New Revell passed on both of those, and they went to Atlantis. The '59 Ford Skyliner was released a 2010 SSP release, so I doubt New Revell has much interest in releasing such a kit.

It all depends on where the most recent issue of each kit was made.

USA: there is a possibility Atlantis now has it.

China: Revell still has it, whether they intend to run it again or not.

Simple as that.

• Like 1