Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Buick Riviera - Boat-tail

RestoModGuy

My last finished build of 2017 I think... My tribute to Modelhaus, of their 1972 Buick Riviera Boat-tail. This is the last model I ordered from Modelhaus in May 2016 and received it November 2017. I will miss them like all of you will I'm sure. Another excellent cast, very detailed body, interior and parts. 

I chose a custom metallic brown paint, actually slightly two-tone below the chrome body accent strip. Lot's of hand-polished clear coats, this is mirror smooth and shiny

Interior is Coffee Bean mixed with Mocha craft paints. Drilled out the headlights replaced with resin lenses 

I choose Pegasus wheels, as for me they fit well and fill the huge wheel-wells.  

Had a lot of fun with this one, thanks Modelhaus for all you have given us in the hobby

DSCN2952.JPG.3b69be8fe988c8ea94b2b2369185785f.JPG

DSCN2951.JPG.ecd361bbf9809ead460ca54ff2c85206.JPG

DSCN2940.JPG.979609613694d66caa1010ff14a326fa.JPG

DSCN2928.JPG.1ccdec5532d148b3c4157000319c166c.JPG

DSCN2922.JPG.c8028d7acfe03121a6edad2d6349e456.JPG

DSCN2913.JPG.b342d5f9f7bcb5bb3f0c04aaf8e35f65.JPG

DSCN2919.JPG

Edited by RestoModGuy

Really nice build, and what an excellent paint job. Although those wheels might appear to be a bit on the large side as others have pointed out, I think the size of this particular car seems to accomodate them without looking awkward. I never did order anything from Modelhaus, but that is only because I started building scale model cars only one year ago, after 50 years away from the hobby, and only tried resin body work around nine months ago. I do appreciate how difficult it is to achieve a high standard of resin casting from carefully produced moulds.

David

Super job on the Riv, Jim.  I am not a fan of the big rims on older cars but here it works for me.  Nice choice of colors, too.  I have one of these in the stash to build and while the roof is not quite right it still builds up into a nice looking model.

That is a beautiful build. You can see the effort you put into the paint finish. I'm glad you mentioned the two tone treatment as I thought it was just the lighting. The wheels make it look like the current trend in Street Customs. With a slightly smaller diameter wheel with a little more tire side wall and it would look just like something from a few years ago. The advantage is that you could just change them back and forth as you see fit. Which ever this is a great looking build to be very proud of.  

Thanks for all the comments, loud and clear the big wheels are not favored here in this forum. Funny I can post this on most any FB group and not one negative comment about the wheels, this is more a stock build group for sure. 

I don't build stock, many here are excellent craftsmen with stock builds, I admire all of them I see and sometimes wonder how cool the build would look with custom wheels, I just don't post that as a comment on your posts. 

Happy building in the New Year!