Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you add a chrome trim package to a model?

Does anyone have any insight into adding trim to a model that doesn't already have it? Specifically, I'm looking at this 78 Short Bed Chevy build. I want to build a similar model of the family truck we had from '78 through the mid 80s. I'll need to add the chrome trim package but I've never done this before and I'm not sure where to start. 

You'll need some Evergreen or Plastruct styrene strip in the same shape (and scaled down dimensions) as the actual trim (rectangular, half-round, etc.), some liquid glue (Tamiya Extra Thin Cement is my choice), and some slow setting CA-type superglue at a minimum. The liquid cement will help soften the styrene strip, making it easier to bend at the trim section corners, and the superglue will help those bends stay in position as you make your way around the perimeter. I'd suggest starting by drawing the trimmed out areas very accurately on the body piece with a pencil, then practicing softening and gluing the strip on some scarp plastic to get a feel for how quickly/slowly it works, and what the radius limits of the bends are.

Thanks Casey. I'll definitely be practicing doing this on some scrap styrene before I attempt this on a final model.

I found a close up of the trim on ebay. If you were trying to do this profile would you do the whole chrome trim as one piece and them somehow add the black stripe to it? It looks like the trim is around 1.5" wide, which if I'm doing the calculations correctly would be .06" at 1:24 scale. That's around 1/16" worth of Evergreen styrene. I may make a trip to some local shops tomorrow to see what kind of styrene strips they have.

s-l1600 (7).jpg

That's going to be challenging to paint the recessed area black like that in a (your math is correct) 1/16" wide piece of plastic. :blink: I think I would aim for getting the plastic strip/trim onto the body straight and evenly, then use Bare Metal Foil to replicate the polished metal finish.

You can check out Evergreen's selection here: https://evergreenscalemodels.com/

Casey's method is exactly what I did when I added chrome trim for the deluxe two-tone on my '79 Bronco.  I ended up doing it in three pieces.  One long strip along the bottom, one for the vertical in the rear, and a short, wider strip for the small amount behind the rear marker light.  Luckily there was no black on that trim on the 1:1 so it made it much easier.  I'm not sure the best way to tackle that aspect of the trim you'll be replicating, that's a tough one and wish I could help some.  When you're comfortable with adding the trim to the body, just make sure to take it nice and slow with patience, and success with follow.

2v29smJanxAKN8F.jpg