Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 GTX grille

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:16 AM, camaro69 said:

Hello again,

thank you all for your confidence. Hope the parts came out like you wanted them.

An important advice for anybody who hasn´t worked with Frosted Detail parts from shapeways yet.

Please be very careful at seperating the parts because this material is brittle and the structures are very thin because of details.

Hope this wasn´t too late... :)

Because of Bobby G´s request I´ve done the ´69 GTX grill too.

5aabb3f7095df_69GTXGrill_03.jpg.eddf086487fa1eb3257e70bf1fc84455.jpg

Greets, Rico

now that's a 69' GTX grill !

First of all thanks you guys again. Every suggestion to make these parts better is much appreciated.

@gtx6970: The plan is to offer the whole trunk lid with seperate reflecting parts because this makes the conversion much easier.

At the 69 grille the emblem is deeper than the rest. Don´t know how it turns out because for myself I have no print already.

But two pieces are sold and maybe the buyer takes some pics so I can post them.

@VRM: Great idea with the interior. But this will really take some time. I do all of this in my free time after work and all other howeworks.

@Claes Ericsson: If you want the grille for the MPC Coronets please feel free to send me a PM. For me the limitation is not relevant.

Rico

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

thank you all for your support. After a very busy time I yesterday cut out the trunk lid of my 69 GTX to test fit the 68 one.

There are still some issues. The openings for the reflecting parts have tomove down a little bit and the center of the front had to be sanded in shape.

Also the top of the lid could be thicker in comparision of the kit plastic thickness.

Anyway I´m pleased with the result till now. Will correct the issues in the near future to make this part ready to use.

Here are some pics so you can tell me what you think.

IMG-20180517-WA0001.jpg.360ffd7bce0847c5b569ed2802f30cc7.jpg

IMG-20180517-WA0002.jpg.20554f75db69cfae72d53c9510e5220c.jpg

IMG-20180517-WA0003.jpg.5552b2dd64c5160c1ed2825a14fa0866.jpg

I want to do the taillights as a complete part set with the seperated rear fender areas. What you think about that?

Rico

Looks pretty good so far.

And I agree, tightening up the spacing ( but not much ) between upper and lower horizontal bars would improve it a tad more. If I remember right there is about an inch or inch and half  of decklid showing above the trunk applique before it rolls over to the top

Also, if the decklid thickness is thinner around the edges  than the kit body,,, it might be a good thing. . Even better would be have it printed with the bracing detail on the bottom side of the decklid

image.png.56bcdb49308b0161b3596c735d373b4f.png

GTX-decklid.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 3:04 PM, gtx6970 said:

Also, I'll add my 2 cents.

if you feel so inclined. do the seats and door panels as well.

Ive tried to do them with putty and failed miserably. So if done I'm a buyer

Yep, I have already mentioned that those would be a great idea!

Hey guys,

again thank you all for your support. I´m at fixing the issues on the trunk lid and doing the taillights at the moment.

Then the other parts will come on my "bench". Sorry for the slow progress but I´ve been really busy.

If there will be something new I will let you all know immediately.

Rico

I think the dress panel looks good.  Missing Link makes great lenses for the 68 Roadrunner which are much better than the ones that come with the kit.   The seats kind of hold me back on building a 68 GTX and now that you have a good grill it is tempting though.   I have seen one person use putty and try to make correct seats.   I don't think I could do it.     So seats would be nice if you have nothing else to do.    I am kidding you are doing great work.  Thanks

Edited by drodg

On 3/24/2018 at 5:12 AM, Claes Ericsson said:

In the Mopar world,  a better detailed grille for the 68-9 MPC Coronets would be nice. But I guess the market would be extremely limited....

Rico, I would like to second this request, for a different reason...I’d like to see a 1968 Coronet grille but in 1/16, this would be the same grille in 1:1 that was used on the special Charger 500 NASCAR Model. It could be used to help convert the 1/16 General Lee kit to a Charger 500. Would you be at all interested in doing that piece in 1/16? If you did one, I would probably buy 2 or 3.

Hey guys,

had a little bit of time these days so tried to finish the rear end for the 68 GTX.

Still have to do the bracing details on the trunk lid.

Here some renderings of the progress. Like last time I will do a test print again for test fitting.

GTX_REAR_3D_FRONT_NEW.jpg.5adf7dfab89d28733f88a0561249b3e6.jpg

GTX_REAR_3D_TOP_NEW.jpg.a058574636f2c37f5a4b8f19a06f1bb6.jpg

GTX_REAR_3D_ISO_NEW.jpg.9867ab209acddd03ba5cd3b9eea778b6.jpg

Any suggestions and comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Rico

On 6/1/2018 at 12:31 PM, camaro69 said:

Hey guys,

had a little bit of time these days so tried to finish the rear end for the 68 GTX.

Still have to do the bracing details on the trunk lid.

Here some renderings of the progress. Like last time I will do a test print again for test fitting.

GTX_REAR_3D_FRONT_NEW.jpg.5adf7dfab89d28733f88a0561249b3e6.jpg

GTX_REAR_3D_TOP_NEW.jpg.a058574636f2c37f5a4b8f19a06f1bb6.jpg

GTX_REAR_3D_ISO_NEW.jpg.9867ab209acddd03ba5cd3b9eea778b6.jpg

Any suggestions and comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Rico

They look great 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

although it´s not really according to the topic I want to show you something new. After a request I´ve modeled a special Plymouth hubcap.

image.png.bbd994113229b19858837a19a258b665.png

It´s designed to replace the kit outer wheel of the 69 AMT Plymouth GTX.

Hope you´ll like it. Any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Rico

GTX_REAR_3D_ISO_NEW.jpg

OK.......this is WILD! I was just talking to a fellow at our local club meeting yesterday about this very thing, and now I come across this thread! VERY nice 3D rendering you got there! Those details look very correct, and I want to say your wheels are looking good too! I take it that you'll use the 3D printing for a master and cast these in resin? Also for the trunk lid and taillight panel...........those will be resin cast too?

Excellent! B)

Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply but sorry I will offer these parts only 3d printed at my shapeways shop.

Resin casting I haven´t tried yet. Maybe someday I will do that but anyway the 68 GTX rear end will come in eight parts.

Especially the smaller ones would be very hard to cast.