Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary What's In The Box.

martinfan5

Engine - meh who cares? Well I know a lot of you...but I have to snicker at all the people willing to buy up Build N Plays, but won't build a foreign curbside kit...

ANNNNNYYYWAAAAAYS - Hurrah for them blanking the sidewalls and not bringing those goofily awful B/F Gaadreich things to market.

no engine is no big deal for me. The Pentastar V6 is'nt much too look at anyway. looks like they spent the effort on the chassis and interior. Those roll bars look amazing. and the multi piece top is cool. would like to have seen the soft top and halfdoors. buts it no big deal. Tires leave some to be desired but I'll be using Fireball Modelworks tires that look 10X better. 

Hopefully the JK does well enough that they will do the JL as well. 

Hmmm. going to have to mull this over before making a purchase. Lack of engine doesn't bother me, the molded colors are an interesting choice I must say. I do see a nice kit, just have to decide if I want to build a modern Jeep.

Thanks for sharing the contents Jonathan!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I did a few months ago. Went together pretty well, though the body can be finicky to put together. Like you, I also have two, with the second I plan on building it as more of a customized off-roader.

Seeing that this thread was started December 2017, I wonder when Meng will show off their next kit in the series and what it will be?

Edited by Jordan White

6 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

I did a few months ago. Went together pretty well, though the body can be finicky to put together. Like you, I also have two, with the second I plan on building it as more of a customized off-roader.

Seeing that this thread was started December 2017, I wonder when Meng will show off their next kit in the series and what it will be?

Yours look nice. The reason I ordered two is that I want to build a 4-door one. I have been looking at the real thing for some time now and really wanted to go and check out this 09 Wrangler Sport JK not long ago:
907_1854122681.jpg

But it was sold before I could get time of work to go see it. I had my wife go on a testdrive for a 2019 Wrangler Sahara JL but with a pricetag of 1 103 000 kroner (that's 128 400 $US in todays currency rate) it is way out of our pricerange. We ended up buying a 2010 Subaru Outback instead, with a diesel engine that according to eveyrone is going to blow up any minute....

9 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

Yours look nice. The reason I ordered two is that I want to build a 4-door one. I have been looking at the real thing for some time now and really wanted to go and check out this 09 Wrangler Sport JK not long ago:
907_1854122681.jpg

But it was sold before I could get time of work to go see it. I had my wife go on a testdrive for a 2019 Wrangler Sahara JL but with a pricetag of 1 103 000 kroner (that's 128 400 $US in todays currency rate) it is way out of our pricerange. We ended up buying a 2010 Subaru Outback instead, with a diesel engine that according to eveyrone is going to blow up any minute....

:o Wow! That's roughly 3 times the price that we would pay in the US! As for making a 4-door, how are your scratchbuilding skills? You could probably make one kit a 4-door with a bit of scratchbuilding and body/chassis lengthening, and have the second kit available to still build as something else.

2 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

:o Wow! That's roughly 3 times the price that we would pay in the US! As for making a 4-door, how are your scratchbuilding skills? You could probably make one kit a 4-door with a bit of scratchbuilding and body/chassis lengthening, and have the second kit available to still build as something else.

Yeah, most things are way more expensive here but most Norwegians claim that we also make more money than anyone else aswell. According to the statistics the avarage yearly wage in Norway is somewhere between 450 000 and 500 000 kroner (52-58 000$US) alltough that is almost twice as much as I make. Without the taxes the Wrangler Sahara that my wife tested would cost 522 664 kroner or 60844 $US. More than half the price is taxes.

I can scratchbuild and maybe I will find out that I can stretch the frame and make my own bodypanels but to be on the safeside I got two of them. It ended up being a bit of an impulce purchace as I was actually looking for pictures of Hasegawas and Italeris WWII Jeeps to see which one would be best suited for an offroad conversion (having just seen the lates episode of Dirt Every Day:D) as I got this idea of using the 6.1 litre Hemi out of Revells Dodge Magnum in a flatfender Jeep with aftermarket axles and big tires. The reason I was looking for pictures of the Hasegawa and Italeri Jeeps is that I don't have any of them but do have the old MPC kit.