Model Cars Magazine Forum

DAF 3300 with trailer

A secret project, march 16th 2018 is when my father is going to retire. He has worked his whole life for only one company; a huge global dairy company. It is now known as FrieslandCampina. Even though my father has nothing with trucks, never driven them nor is a petrolhead, it was for me obvious to give a Daf truck with 3-axled trailer as a gift for his retirement.
Why? Well, when we (my 2 brothers and I) were little kids, my father gave us a little truck-trailer from his company to us as a gift, something I always kept as a memorandum and was special to me. And since I am a modelbuilder, with interest in motorized vehicles, it was a no-brainer for me.

So I started hunting down a Daf truck, 3-axled trailer and find a extra Friesche Vlag truck, but that was quite hard. I don't think they were available in retail. But I did find a decent one later one.

DAF001.jpg

I got the Dutchman Daf as a starterspoint, but I have to shorten it and remove one axle.

DAF002.jpg

Work started with opening the grill.
DAF003.jpg

DAF004.jpg

I used the bottom of the trailer to align the frame for the trailer
DAF005.jpg

And used thoothpicks to clamp the frame
DAF006.jpg

The frame was measured and marked for cutting

DAF007.jpg

DAF008.jpg

It took me a few attempts, but finally got the frame nicely aligned.
DAF009.jpg

DAF010.jpg

The cabin was glued together, for better handling when painting
DAF011.jpg

DAF012.jpg

Some reinforcements for the chassis, it was quite weak after the cutting
DAF013.jpg

DAF014.jpg

I found the clothespin ideal for resting the chassis on, it is also a good way to see wether the chassis is still aligned.
DAF015.jpg

DAF016.jpg

DAF017.jpg

DAF018.jpg

DAF019.jpg

DAF020.jpg

A dry-fit for the mock-up. on top is the truck and trailer that is my example.
DAF021.jpg

A big error in the Italeri manual, the wheels are done completely wrong
DAF022.jpg

For the fun, I dryfitted it the way it shouldn't :)
DAF023.jpg

DAF024.jpg

DAF025.jpg

Back to seriousness again: pre-paint detailling
DAF026.jpg

DAF027.jpg

DAF028.jpg

The Dutchman had the weird, funky roof, so I cast a flat roof for the cabin.
DAF029.jpg

DAF030.jpg

The trailer had a bit too modern look to it, due to the chamfered edges, so they had to go.
DAF031.jpg

And in the meantime, I added some plumbing to the chassis.
DAF032.jpg

DAF033.jpg

DAF034.jpg

DAF035.jpg

DAF036.jpg

DAF037.jpg

Because the trailer is too new for the truck and I've been correcting it, I also made a new lightboard on the rearside, more bulky than the newer style.

DAF038.jpg

DAF039.jpg

Because I had some days off between Christmas and new-years eve, I was able to make some big steps on the paint process. First I spotpainted the repaired/modified parts black.

DAF040.jpg

Than put it in a white primer

DAF041.jpg

And added a medium blue base-caot

DAF042.jpg

DAF043.jpg

I added the ommissed windowposts with 4 strips of styrene

DAF044.jpg

DAF045.jpg

and opened up the lower grille

DAF046.jpg

DAF047.jpg

DAF048.jpg

DAF049.jpg

DAF050.jpg

The sanding on the trailer is never ending, seriously..

DAF051.jpg

But the front end looks better now.

DAF052.jpg

I also got the smaller parts into the paintbooth today

DAF053.jpg

DAF054.jpg

DAF055.jpg

DAF056.jpg

After all the prep-work, the cabin went into it's black base-coat ( to keep the hue in the end the same)

DAF057.jpg

DAF058.jpg

We are getting somewhere, now it's needs it final blue coat.

DAF059.jpg

It took me 2 spray sessions of an hour to get all the parts in the blue coat.

DAF060.jpg

DAF061.jpg

Finally done

DAF062.jpg

And then it was time for some clearcoat. First the chassis and the smaller parts.

DAF064.jpg

DAF065.jpg

DAF066.jpg

A dryfit for the wheels

DAF067.jpg

The engine in the right-ish color

DAF068.jpg

The wheels are dryfitted

DAF069.jpg

DAF070.jpg

DAF071.jpg

And the cabin went on for an overall look, I had some damage to the roof and wasn't happy with the way I prepped it, so I need to repair the roof.

DAF072.jpg

DAF073.jpg

DAF074.jpg

DAF075.jpg

Looks good, but i dont understand what the manual has done wrong with the tires for the trailer?
I dont know how many of their trailers i have built and i have never had any problem.

There are 2 things that i dont really like.
(Probably because i used to work on these types of trailers when i worked as mechanic)
Airlines connected to the underside of the airbags, if they were that way in real they would have been ripped off within minutes from leaving the factory or after road debries hit them.
The air hoses for the airbags is on the top of almost every trailer with air suspension.

Airlines to the brake should go to the brakecylinder (round part of the brake assembly) that sits on the caliper, the way you have it is so it goes to the calipermount.
a modern trailer like this have 2 hoses for each brake cylinder, one line is for the service brake and one is for releasing the parkingbrake.

Other then that it looks good

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1-1-2018 at 4:51 AM, gatorincebu said:

Erik,

Very impressive work here.  I must confess. I was aghast when you cut one of the drive axles off . As I am a big fan of dual drive.

But I do understand that dual drive was not correct for this project .

Be Well

Gator

Over here, the majority of trucks on our roads are one-axled, dual drive is a rarity for a truck and trailer combo. And sice it was some sort of replica, I had to follow the one axled concept ;-)

On 2-1-2018 at 5:17 PM, PierreR89 said:

Looks good, but i dont understand what the manual has done wrong with the tires for the trailer?
I dont know how many of their trailers i have built and i have never had any problem.

There are 2 things that i dont really like.
(Probably because i used to work on these types of trailers when i worked as mechanic)
Airlines connected to the underside of the airbags, if they were that way in real they would have been ripped off within minutes from leaving the factory or after road debries hit them.
The air hoses for the airbags is on the top of almost every trailer with air suspension.

Airlines to the brake should go to the brakecylinder (round part of the brake assembly) that sits on the caliper, the way you have it is so it goes to the calipermount.
a modern trailer like this have 2 hoses for each brake cylinder, one line is for the service brake and one is for releasing the parkingbrake.

Other then that it looks good

Where my knowledge lies with cars and such, I must admit I have not that much experience with trucks. Where I couldn't find sufficient info about what I was working on, I used my logic from cars and later I found out, it wasn't always the right choice haha. But they are good learning moments for the next build. And with these two points the same thing; I will not be making those errors again! thanks.

Work has been really busy lately and I find little time to work on this project, let alone post something about it. But today was kind for me, I was able to mount the cabin on the chassis and clearcoated the chassis of the trailer. And I even has some time left to share some pictures with you.

I had to make a longer propshaft, I used some copper tubing for that.
DAF076.jpg

And used the kit joints
DAF077.jpg

The engine was clearcoated and I started some basic detailling
DAF078.jpg

I made a simple belt from a sticker
DAF079.jpg

Small Jump, the engine went into the chassis and added the other parts, the turbo set-up from Italeri was quite a hassle, it didn't reallt fit properly
DAF080.jpg

DAF081.jpg

DAF082.jpg

DAF083.jpg

I went on working on the interior, I chose some typical early eighties colors for it.
DAF084.jpg

DAF085.jpg

The chassis is rolling!
DAF086.jpg

With some use of the Molotow pens, I added some clamps
DAF087.jpg

Becasue the size of the trailer, I am affraid my biggest airbrush (Harder & Steenbeck Colani) is not going to be sufficient, so I got myself a SATA minijet 4400 HVLP gun, if needed, it could even spray a real car.
DAF088.jpg

DAF089.jpg

After I clearcoated the cabine, some weird orange/pink hue was in the back end of the cab in my clear paint, never seen it before, never had to deal it before and no I idea where it came from. It is definately not overspray and it is in my clear paint, weird...

DAF090.jpg

Since I discovered whilst masking for the windowtrim, I first airbrushed that.
DAF091.jpg

DAF092.jpg

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Than it was time to deal with the back side
DAF093.jpg

With a fresh coat of white paint, it looks a whole lot better.

DAF094.jpg

The windscreen was also a bit of a hassle, since it was somewhat warped.

DAF095.jpg

Working on assembling the interior parts

DAF096.jpg

The grille didn't coorperate either

DAF097.jpg

DAF098.jpg

Some light in the end of the tunnel! The cab got on the chassis and now I have to start working on the trailer, getting it ready for paint and putting it on the chassis, finishing this project.  I only got till march 16th...

DAF099.jpg

DAF100.jpg

DAF101.jpg

DAF102.jpg

DAF103.jpg

DAF104.jpg

Edited by The Creative Explorer

• 2 years later...

Many years ago when I was a child yet, I saw a DAF 3300 in my hometown. It was painted metallic brown with gold trim. It was so impressive that I could never forget this truck again. That will probably happen to me with your model too. Great painting!

• 2 weeks later...