Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grumman Kurbmaster Updated 1/17/18...Finished

This build will be pretty much OOB, with a few details thrown in.  The decals and paint will probably be the toughest part.  I've already botched the first attempt at primer.  Guess Tamiya rattle can primer doesn't like resin.  Odd, but the floor took the primer just fine, but the body was a disaster.  Mr. Hobby to the rescue, nice thin, even coat that covered the purple tint left behind by the Super Clean soak.  Next it's time to start building coverage for the body, the base color is white.  http://motorcityresincasters.com/KurbmasterStepVan.htm

166778147.jpg

Edited by Warren D
update

44 minutes ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Well, you don't see that one every day! Looks like a nice clean casting. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for it. Hopefully the worst is over, getting the paint to stick. Keep at it, as it will be well worth the effort to make something this unique!

Bob

Thanks.  I have an idea and will get it done.  No, not a foodie truck.  Like most of my big rig builds, it will be something I remember from my past.  The casting is pretty good, needed a little adjustment here and there.  One of the sliding doors has taken a warp during paint, i'll have to see if I can nudge it back to straight. 

Paint coming along, need to do a little touch up, then start the detail painting and decals.  Chassis will need a fair amount of work to get the wheels sitting right.  Both front and rear axles have a little bend to them and the rear is a bit too narrow.

166811007.jpg

Many of you might guess where this is headed based on the paint scheme.

On 1/7/2018 at 2:51 PM, leafsprings said:

Very sharp. I would think the graphics on the  body would make a great advertising tool.  Is it possible to add a close up photo of the wheels? Are they 8 lug or 5  lug front  and 10 lug rear type? Scale out to 16" or 19.5" ?

Fronts and rears are 5 lug.  Rims are about 16.5" diameter.  If you want pics, I'll have to get them when I take pics at the next update.

4 hours ago, tonye66 said:

Almost looks like the old Entenmanns delivery vans. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Looks like we have a winner!  Decals are printed and drying.  Detail painting almost down along with the interior.  I still have to fit the front suspension, then decals and window glazing.

166861242.jpg

The decals were a challenge, I had several logos but only for modern trucks.  I found an old Grumman brochure that show an appropriate era truck with the proper logo.  The ad wasn't detailed enough to use, but a search of Ebay came up with a suitable option.

166872639.jpg

I took a macro lens on a 46 mp dslr and got a great file.  I found a raster function in Photoshop that smoothed the edges and was able to print large enough to do the trick.