Model Cars Magazine Forum

1912 Model T Light Delivery

bbowser

This arrived a couple of days ago.  For those interested in brass era vehicles here's what's in the box.

DSCN3522.JPG

Instructions in English and Russian

DSCN3530.JPG

Parts in common with the other Model T releases

DSCN3529.JPG

This tree is for the light delivery body.  The different fender unit appears to be just slightly longer at the back, about the only difference I can tell.

DSCN3528.JPG

White tires, well printed decals.  I wonder if they had to pay Texaco?

DSCN3526.JPG

Clear parts, wrapped separately 

DSCN3527.JPG

The tree that should be brass plated?  I will need to find a suitable spray bomb.

DSCN3524.JPG

All in all I'm pleased with it.  Looking forward to the construction.

Edited by bbowser
captions

8 hours ago, bbowser said:

White tires, well printed decals.  I wonder if they had to pay Texaco?

I believe that trademarks expire after a certain number of years, sort of like copyrights.  So being that Texaco logo is 105 years old as of tomorrow, it's quite possible it's not technically trademarked anymore.

This is the only one of these kits that's peeked my interest, thanks for the peak inside.

Trademarks will expire by law after 10 years unless the owner files an Application for Renewal before the end of the tenth year following the date of registration. Provided there are no problems, the trademark will be renewed for another ten years. Unlike copyrights, trademarks can be renewed indefinitely. That is the case with the Texaco Star logo. Texaco is a subsidiary of Chevron. Chevron, in turn, owns all trademarks and intellectual properties relating to Texaco. Trademark protection of the Texaco Star and other symbols related to Texaco are currently in effect. The company's original five-pointed star logo design was created in 1903.The first trademarked logo was designed in 1909.

Pssst.......it's "piqued", not "peeked".

Edited by SfanGoch

15 hours ago, bbowser said:

The tree that should be brass plated?  I will need to find a suitable spray bomb.

When the kit arrived and I saw the unplated parts, I went looking.  Found a couple of likely candidates:

Alclad II ALC-109 - Polished Brass, if you have an airbrush.  I really like working with Alclad, but some people don't.  No thinning needed, and being lacquer, it dries fast and hard over a base coat of Tamiya Gloss Black acrylic.  Sometimes I even brush paint with Alclad, even though we're not supposed to do that. 

Rust-Oleum #1936830 Metallic Brass: 11-oz spray can.  The ads say "made with real metal leafing flakes."  Never used this, but I've used the Valspar metallic silver spray bomb and it worked OK (for a bare-metal racing car interior).  I'm wondering if those "real flakes" are in scale.  And it's always easy to spray too much with a rattle-can, unless it's decanted and shot thru an airbrush.  But I'd rather use Alclad than hassle with all that.

My biggest worry, looking at the parts, is getting the seams out of those headlights before painting them. 

12 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Thank you for the Info Joe.  I have always wondered about the requirement for trademarks. I also like the english lesson, I do need that bad. My worst subject in school, now to just remember it. 

No problem, Andy. Trademark, patent and copyright protection can be confusing. Re the Engrish lesson, I wuz jus' yankin' yer chain. Happy New Year. :D 

22 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Thank you for the Info Joe.  I have always wondered about the requirement for trademarks. I also like the english lesson, I do need that bad. My worst subject in school, now to just remember it. 

Being pedantic, Joe missed the other misteak.  :) So here's another Pollack correcting an American. All in good fun (mostly to bust Joe's nuts) ;)

"This is the only one of these kits that's peeked piqued my interest, thanks for the peak peek inside."

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

Being pedantic, Joe missed the other misteak.  :) So here's another Pollack correcting an American. All in good fun (mostly to bust Joe's nuts) ;)

"This is the only one of these kits that's peeked piqued my interest, thanks for the peak peek inside."

Poor Joe didn't even make the error, I did, but both of you were so busy correcting me you didn't even realize it was me you were doing it too...So is correcting my spelling, but making a "misteak" while doing it an unintended irony of being a "Pollack"? :rolleyes::blink:

4 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Poor Joe didn't even make the error, I did, but both of you were so busy correcting me you didn't even realize it was me you were doing it too...So is correcting my spelling, but making a "misteak" while doing it an unintended irony of being a "Pollack"? :rolleyes::blink:

My (misteak) misspelling was purely intentional (followed by the smiley to further reinforce the intended humor).  And I was bustin' Joe's nuts  for correcting the first, but missing your second spelling mistake of a similar sounding word. If is has not been clear enough, I'm just having fun (no offense, critique, or trolling intended).

2 minutes ago, peteski said:

My (misteak) misspelling was purely intentional (followed by the smiley to further reinforce the intended humor).  And I was bustin' Joe's nuts  for correcting the first, but missing your second spelling mistake of a similar sounding word. If is has not been clear enough, I'm just having fun (no offense, critique, or trolling intended).

All in good fun, but you also misspelled the slang term for your heritage as well, as a Pollack is an alternative spelling for the fish species Pollock. :lol:

I built a 1911 Touring by ICM which came with plated parts for the brass items.  However, I used Alclad Polished Brass over their gloss black base and then protected the paint with Alclad ALC 600 Aqua Gloss.  I left the windscreen and its supports as plated brass due to the thin nature of the supports to avoid breaking them when cleaning them up.  As expected, most of the parts in the version reviewed this thread are similar to the one that I have built.  Some of the parts are thin and are easy to break (the good news is that they respond well to liquid poly), the model can be fiddly to build but they look right which is the most important aspect of a model kit.

1911ModelT.jpg

I bought the delivery car back last September . I'm going to be posing it with a Marland oil station which became Conoco as Marland lent it's "Triangle " to Conoco when they merged about 1924. I'm going to silk screen my own decals that will show this Ford as a delivery vehicle as a part of a hardware store company which dated it's heritage back to 1901 . I'll be using a lot of what Art Anderson taught me as he did the Roadster and the same detailing can be shared into the C Cab .

JH Brown service Station Marland oil dealer Richmond Va ..jpg