Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius California Flash

5 hours ago, Mr. Horsepower said:

Thanks guys! The decals look great! I wonder how well the white will cover the orange paint.

My plan is to paint the car white, mask of the areas when doing the orange and then cover them with the decal to minimize the orange bleed. 

I don't even have that kit yet but I'm already seeing nightmares about installing those decals.:D

Seriously speaking, Moebius decals have been definitely the best ones I've seen yet. Even the larger ones have been fairly easy to install. This kit is definitely on my list, so when I see it with a reasonable price tag I'll take one!

My brother had a '64 Plymouth Max Wedge with the Wedge engine (mid-year Mopar went to Hemis) in 1967-68. He and his partner bought it from Blair's Speed Shop in Pasadena, CA. Home of the "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" of Plymouth advertising fame and Jan & Dean's hit record. It had a 4-point roll bar. Good thing too, as one time bracket racing at Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach, on the final run of the night, taking the win, a brand new Mopar tie rod end snapped and sent the car into a spin in the lights. From the right lane it did a 270 and backed into the guard rail, then bouncing off, got t-boned by the other racer (427 Camaro) in the right door and they tumbled down the shut-down area. Totalled both cars. They both walked away. Of course, even though he got there 1st, he lost the race due to crossing the center line into the other lane. 11:27 at 127mph.

I have a resin body I picked up at a model show to put on a Lindberg 64 Max Wedge or an AMT Lawman, or one of these  Moebius '65s to build a model of my brother's car. I plan to build a bunch more Mopars of the era, including the Butch Leal '65.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

I got mine, and I am very impressed, except that it needs a set of Cragars, which I will pluck from my '61 Catalina kit. One question, did the real one have a roll bar?

Yes Ron. On the Butch Leal web site scrap book, there's a picture of Butch in his Plymouth in 1965 and the roll bar is visible.

http://www.butchleal.com/home.html

6 hours ago, DustyMojave said:

Yes Ron. On the Butch Leal web site scrap book, there's a picture of Butch in his Plymouth in 1965 and the roll bar is visible.

http://www.butchleal.com/home.html

I think that pic of him in the car, where you can see a roll ball, might be on the Altered Wheelbase car

Related image

Image result for butch leal 1965 plymouth

Related image

Edited by Daddyfink

There is a photo in the Bob McClurg gallery on the Butch Leal website taken (I believe) at Riverside Raceway in '65 of the #707 S/S '65 Plymouth running Cragar S/S wheels and narrow slicks with a black roll bar visible inside. I would link the picture here to share it, but the site prevents hotlinking. If you were looking at the shot in the scrap book of Butch sitting in the driver's seat with the door open, that shows a white roll bar and I think that photo is the altered wheelbase car. I was referring to the black roll bar in the Super Stock car. Yes...Some pics of the Super Stock DO show it with no roll bar. Safety regulations were a changing thing then. Full size or model, i would have a roll bar in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I started on one of these this weekend. It's a nicely engineered kit, but I'm really disappointed by the lack of quality control. The body in mine was decent but there was warpage on many other parts. The worst being the lower part of the K-member. It's disfigured to the point of being unusable, despite my attempts to bend it into place. Now I'm going to have to steal one from one of my other kits. I'd like to get a replacement, but I've heard it's difficult to get parts from Moebius.