Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 yrs old, first model since I was 10 yrs old

I just recently took all the vacation, sick time and FMLA in order to come to U of W to have both knees receive a new interior meniscus cartilage tissue from cadaver. No weight for 8 weeks so my dear wife purchased this Level 2, 1970 1/2 Chevy Camaro model to build because she knows her attorney husband will go crazy just watching television or reading books and legal materials! I haven’t put a model together since I was 10 yrs old, so this is a first for me really, but I’m looking for a site that sells 1/18th or larger scale models to build. 

Welcome back.  Things have changed a lot with availability of paint colors and aftermarket.  For better or worse a lot of the same kits from the 60's keep resurfacing as reissues over and over with new kits few and far between, especially in large scales.

Welcome Kevin, and I know how you must be feeling about your first build in 47 years because my first build at the beginning of 2017 was my first since I was 13 years of age, and I reached 63 years old, so 50 years! Used to build loads of model car kits when I was a kid, buying them with saved up pocket money from the local store. Here in England there is a very nice 1:12 scale 1930 Airfix Bentley 4.5 litre supercharged, and I'm not sure if you can get this one in the United States, but it's anywhere between £100 GBP and £200 GBP ( US $ 135 -270 ). Maybe this one would be of more interest to you, and it's half the cost of the Bentley........

Revell 2811 Big 1:12th scale 69 Camaro Z-28 Chip Foose Custom Design

David

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, Kevin.

An attorney, hhhmmmm.... :-)

Don't know if you checked out the Big Boyz section here. Facebook also has a big scale group.

3D printing is real big now, pardon the pun, I have done a few articles on this, and I have a few 1/16 projects featuring 3D printed parts coming up in the mag soon.