Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Team 427 Cobra's (update 1-21 )

65slotcar

31 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Brad (Harold Bradford) is in Laurel MD.  301-604-8591.   Mention JC, Rex and Gary and the Cobras you are building.

Thanks. I'm gonna be doing CSX2128, CSX2129, and CSX2136. Right now, I'm doing CSX2248, and CSX3156. 

Edited by 250 Testa Rossa

23 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

thanks for the replies and interest. i used  these  carbs because it's all i had in spare parts box.  Force,  do you know where i could find correct carb that doesn't look like the un-impressive one that comes in stock kit? VCG resins makes a 750 holley that may look close.

Yes I do, As RandyD allready mentioned, Joseph at Fireball Modelworks has the best looking carburetors right now, he even have a set with the LeMans float bowls if you want that.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/auto_main.html 

Here is his 4150 with vacuum secondarys. http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/FMR-090.jpg

Here is his 4160 with vacuum seconcarys, http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/FMR-091.jpg

Here is his 4150 with LeMans float bowls and vacuum secondarys, http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/FMR-092.jpg

His 4150 Double Pumper, mechanical secondarys, http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/FMR-093.jpg

His generic 4160 with electrical choke and vacuum secondarys, http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/FMR-094.jpg

He made suggestions to what they are for but they will work fine with the Ford FE engine or any other for that matter.

Edited by Force

For modelbuilding it doesn't matter what size the carb has, a 4150 series 650, 750, 780, 850 cfm  looks the same on the outside, the differences are mostly internal.
Of course there are visible differences when it comes to what type of choke it has, if it's a double pumper, vacuum secondary stage and so on.
In this particular case I would go with the FMR-092 as it has the correct LeMans float bowls, and there are two carbs in a set so you can do two cars.
The FMR-090 or FMR-093 is not that wrong either as they are good replacements for the LeMans bowl carbs.
The LeMans bowls were Holley's first version of center hung float bowls wich are better for road course use than the side hung floats, and they were later replaced with the "Catheral" style bowls wich are easier to adjust the float level on as you do it from the outside without taking the carb appart, on the carb with LeMans bowls you have to take the bowls off and bend the float arms to adjust them.

Edited by Force

ok, not  all 9   are getting full detail. i would but i don't have many photo etched detail kits by Hobby design. can't find any supply anymore. working on steering wheels , scratch built batteries   and gauges on dash.  to replicate  glass for gauges, i tried

2 part opoxy but it yellowed and hard to work with. i tried floor wax (pledge)  took  forever and would not build up fast enough.  found  this product  on-line.  art resin (artresin.com)   mix1:1  work time 45 minutes,dries  in 24 hours and full cure in 72 hours.

super user  freindly  and great results. comes out crystal clear. also used on center cap on steering wheel

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

Wow, that is quite a Cobra assembly line you have going there! I will be watching closely, as I have just started building so

ports cars for the first time. I have many years of circle track builds, but I need to diversify. Great building. Thanks for the references, too! 

Tom

Nice job on those batteries. Shelby used aircraft batteries that are smaller than the usual car batteries used in most American cars. Plus the caps that you did right have a ball check valve in each cap to keep the acid from spilling if the car gets upside down. I used to use them in my offroad race buggy too.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:29 PM, DustyMojave said:

Nice job on those batteries. Shelby used aircraft batteries that are smaller than the usual car batteries used in most American cars. Plus the caps that you did right have a ball check valve in each cap to keep the acid from spilling if the car gets upside down. I used to use them in my offroad race buggy too.

thanks  Richard,                                          a few updates.  added supports tubes under dash and now have correct carbs installed.  all radiators  done.  a little  carbon  build-up  on  carb  or dirt since they didn't race with air cleaner  and tried to replicate fuel filter

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

15 hours ago, Mark IV said:

Gauge faces look great but speedo should be the reverse wind setup. Comp and S/Cs used the "backwards" speedometers.

Rick,  thanks for pointing this  out. i have some of the gauge  faces from best models  and didn't  use because it was hard  to cut out gauge  exact  (not a pre-cut decal)   will   try to  fix on future builds.

Bill  

• 1 year later...

wow,  last update was about a year ago. have been working on my 1/1 scale  project and took a break to hopefully  finish  my 427 Cobra's.   Sanded  off all emblems to use photo etched emblems or decals,  cut out  side louvers for photo etched part, seat belts  done,roll bar extended into  interior and holes drilled for roll bar.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

That is a really fine batch of Cobras. I thought I had too many cars working at the same time....I must say, you are doing far better than I ever have at multitasking on the model bench! Keep it coming, always a pleasure to see some inspirational work!

• 9 months later...

i'm back at this project.  working on new side pipes  and building a right hand drive version. cobra csx 3006  .  i don't have a great  picture, maybe someone knows if  black paint on top  extends past trunk as it looks in some pictures, also  hood scoop looks extended forward and maybe longer . restored version has  6 spoke halibrands like a 289 comp car. can't tell what wheels it had when raced.   ( update  12-15-2019   can't figure out  how to edit  post title)

d6bd54a893f494daa40519d09a09fb0ef11d373b.jpg

IMG_0042.JPG

Edited by 65slotcar