Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 F100 - XL

johnwitzke

In addition to Les Ritchey's '63 lightweight Super Stock Galaxie, I will be building this one along side.   Dearborn Steel Tubing (DST) built this really cool truck for B/FX competition.  It was powered by the same Super Stock 427 cu.in. 425 HP engine that powered the lightweight Galaxie's.  This is the only one know to exist.  This build will be somewhat challenging as it will require some scratch building and kit bashing to get the details as accurate as possible.  Challenging - yes, doable - you bet!   This one is going to be fun!  This will not be a fast build and will update as I get areas completed.  Stay Tuned.

63 F100 XL (1024x636).jpg

63 F100 XL 2 (1024x521).jpg

63 xl 100 427.jpg

Edited by johnwitzke

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 12:04 AM, johnwitzke said:

In addition to Les Ritchey's '63 lightweight Super Stock Galaxie, I will be building this one along side.   Dearborn Steel Tubing (DST) built this really cool truck for B/FX competition.  It was powered by the same Super Stock 427 cu.in. 425 HP engine that powered the lightweight Galaxie's.  This is the only one know to exist.  This build will be somewhat challenging as it will require some scratch building and kit bashing to get the details as accurate as possible.  Challenging - yes, doable - you bet!   This one is going to be fun!  This will not be a fast build and will update as I get areas completed.  Stay Tuned.

63 F100 XL (1024x636).jpg

63 F100 XL 2 (1024x521).jpg

63 xl 100 427.jpg

I love this truck!!!! I have a resin short bed Ford in my stash to do something similar. I just bought a twin scooped hood for mine to give it some flavor. I have to do a little research to see what else I have to get.  I know you will do this build justice!

The interior seats used in this truck were bucket seats from the 1963 Falcon.  To replicate the look of the seat I am starting with the bucket seats from the 1963 Fairlane.  From there I am changing the pattern to better represent the correct look of the seats.  I will nee to make the ribbing more narrow. This is a mock up and not a finished product as I will need to add piping around the scratch built center section.    

63 xl 100 interior  (800x500).jpg

1963 XL 100 seats (1024x768).jpg

4 hours ago, johnwitzke said:

The interior seats used in this truck were bucket seats from the 1963 Falcon.  To replicate the look of the seat I am starting with the bucket seats from the 1963 Fairlane.  From there I am changing the pattern to better represent the correct look of the seats.  I will nee to make the ribbing more narrow. This is a mock up and not a finished product as I will need to add piping around the scratch built center section.    

Thanks for the interior trim photos. I am happy that you have some good detail photos of the interior. If I were doing the interior in this manner, I would use some half round styrene strips for the upholstery inserts and Heavy duty thread for the piping, I did the same for a 63 Mercury comet S22 convertible project I am working on.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, johnwitzke said:

Take a look at Monogram 58 T-bird seats. The pattern is very close to what you need. They are 1/24 scale so it would be your call if they look right.

this build idea is really cool.  I like the idea for the seats.  I have a 1:1 car I'm trying to replicate in scale, and can't find the right seats.  this looks like the way to go.   are you cutting out the middle of the stock seat, or just laying the horizontal striped part on top?