Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Germany Landrover series III? false alarm

Luc Janssens

Update Jan 1st 2018, at 0:24 cet

Just saw the Revell Germany new release list and no mention of the Landrover, so fake news, what else is new LOL

Found the following on the British hobby site Hannants.

Ex-Esci, ex Monogram, or did they list the wrong scale?

I'll guess, we find out at midnite CET

Land Rover Series III

Due Nov 2018

Manufacturer:Revell

Code Number:RV7047

Scale:1:24

Item type:Car kits (injection)

Hannants

Edited by Luc Janssens

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Interesting.  In the past few years, ITALERI has re-issued 2 of the old ESCI 1/24 Land Rover kits: the LWB 109" as a hardtop rally vehicle (shown above). And the open British military version, released last time as "Land Rover LWB 109" FFR" (Fitted For Radio). 

The only 1/24 ex-ESCI Land Rover ITALERI hasn't reissued is the basic 109" LWB with raised soft top (shown below).

Just last year, ITALERI updated its very old 1/35 scale Land Rover III as a Spanish "Guardia Civil" version.  For the first time since the 1970s, it had some new parts: optional left or right hand dashboards and a new hardtop.

I'm guessing REVELL planned to re-box the new 1/35 scale kit and changed its mind.  And got the scale wrong in the announcement, which sometimes happens.  That kit didn't seem to be a great seller.  Not long after its release, it was selling at a deep discount from some American internet vendors.  But I am just guessing and don't have any insider info.

It would be nice if ITALERI or REVELL would re-issue more of the ex-ESCI 1/24 Range Rover kits. Especially the British/Dutch Police kit, which had optional dashboards and chassis parts for left or right hand drive.

For future reference, here's a link to the Revell-Germany Fan Board, where 2018 releases are being discussed:

http://s13.zetaboards.com/RevellAtions/topic/9085571/1/

lr_esci-1.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That's the Range Rover, though...wouldn't mind seeing Italeri reissue their LWB Land Rover 2dr.   The Italeri kits are old ESCI tools, I believe? 

:unsure: Yeah, messed that up, didn't I? I'll post it in the correct topic.

On Mon Jan 01 2018 at 10:28 PM, alexis said:

A little bird tells me it will NOT be a new tool. The old Monogram kit is gone, never to return. My money is on the evergreen Esci/Italeri kit.

Just curious, why won't the Monogram one ever return? Molds destroyed? Thanks.

Jeff 

1 hour ago, Goose1957 said:

Just curious, why won't the Monogram one ever return? Molds destroyed? Thanks.

Jeff 

We never did get a straight answer on that. I was told that it sold poorly the last time it was released.  I always thought it would do well in International markets, so maybe now they’ll do it.  

I had been looking for one but the last few I saw were $100. Yea, you know what would happen right after I bought that!

On 9/27/2018 at 3:01 PM, Tom Geiger said:

We never did get a straight answer on that. I was told that it sold poorly the last time it was released.  I always thought it would do well in International markets, so maybe now they’ll do it.  

I had been looking for one but the last few I saw were $100. Yea, you know what would happen right after I bought that!

I still have one of the Monogram ones that I work on periodically, but I'm pretty sure it's hexed. First I broke the windshield frame, then while fixing that I lost part of the top. I found that and got the paint on and it crackled. I stripped it and tried again and the paint ran. As far as the Italerai kits, I want the Range Rover and the Land Rover both, so I'll take what I can get if they release them. Thanks.

Link below to Chuck Most's excellent article from April 2015, "The Sad and Sordid tale of Monogram's Land Rover."

TL;DR: "Astoundingly enough, this was the only example of a full-detail short wheelbase (88") Land Rover ever done as a 1:24 plastic kit, and the only one with a complete engine and opening hood...There is some SPECULATION that the tooling was scrapped, perhaps only a couple of years after the ill-fated kit's debut."

I was looking for research material on-line years ago, and came across a guy who said he had worked on the real vehicle that Monogram measured to make their kit.  He said the Land Rover lived in Burbank, CA.  He remembered it very well because the kit, like the real car, had a U.S. spec carburetor and a couple of other minor differences from a British vehicle.  I have no idea about the truth of that claim, but thought it was interesting.

http://chuckmost.wixsite.com/madhouse-miniatures/single-post/2015/04/07/The-Sad-and-Sordid-tale-of-Monograms-Land-Rover

• 1 month later...