Model Cars Magazine Forum

P.E. Saw Blade Recommendations?

An important thing to consider is whether the saw cuts on the "push" stroke or the "pull" stroke. Owing to the thin blade, any PE saw will be much more prone to bending if the blade cuts on the "push" stroke.

If, when shopping, the product has a close-up image, see which way the teeth slant. If they slant away from the handle-end, it's a "push" stroke and you'll probably be disappointed.

As a last resort, trim a "push" blade to allow it to be reversed in the handle, thus making it a "pull" blade.

Edited by BigTallDad

1 hour ago, RAT-T said:

THE MCG BLADES CUT BOTH WAYS, BEEN WANTING TO TRY THOSE BLADES THAT TREVOR POSTED THOUGH

Yup.     http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=356

There's a learning curve, but if you have a functioning brain, it's not difficult to figure out what they will do without bending.

And though they bend fairly easily, they also straighten out fairly easily as well.

Photo-Etched Saw Blades

There used to be a guy locally who was laser-cutting saw edges on double-edged razor blades. I bought one and it was one of the VERY best model tools I've ever owned. But they're fragile so I consider it "consumable" and only use it on VERY special occasions anymore. And I can't get another one. 

Anyone know of a source for these? Or, what's the closest thing available? 

Check out UMM-USA. John Vojtech has everything a hobbyist could ever need. The saws are on this page. The JLC razor saws are very good. They're in the middle of the page, item numbers JLC 001-006. I have JLC 004 20 Years Anniversary Micro-Saw Pack

JLC004 - 20 Years Anniversary JLC Micro Saw Pack

It's a great set and inexpensive. I also use the Hauler razor saws which fit the JLC tool. Hauler's stainless scribes and saw sets are equally indispensable items in one's tool case.

42 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Check out UMM-USA. John Vojtech has everything a hobbyist could ever need. The saws are on this page. The JLC razor saws are very good. They're in the middle of the page, item numbers JLC 001-006. I have JLC 004 20 Years Anniversary Micro-Saw Pack

JLC004 - 20 Years Anniversary JLC Micro Saw Pack

It's a great set and inexpensive. I also use the Hauler razor saws which fit the JLC tool. Hauler's stainless scribes and saw sets are equally indispensable items in one's tool case.

Very, VERY cool! I'll study the list and put together an order. These seem to be just what I want. 

• 1 month later...

Hasegawa Tritool has been making these sets for at least 20 years.  I bought two sets(one as a back up) and have never had to crack the second one open.  There are two different sets. 

Set HSGTP-4  About $10- This set is very thin and you need to be careful using them on the pull only.  These can cut so thin that you can actually reglue the piece back in without filler.  Here is the link to Hobby link Japan https://hlj.com/product/HSGTP-4

Set HSGTP -3  Same price but a thicker set for when you need something a little sturdier.  https://hlj.com/product/HSGTP-3

If you don't like HLJ I am sure you could find them here with a little looking.  As I say, one set has lasted me far longer than I thought they would.