Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing weird stuff ( graphics ) from Hot Wheels

If alcohol doesn't work, try NON-acetone nail polish remover. (I get it at Walmart.)  I can't promise it won't hurt Hot Wheels paint, but I've now used it on 1/24 diecasts from maybe a dozen different makers and it's taken the graphics and junk right off without hurting the paint. Test it first, but definitely worth a try. 

Oh, don't let it get on your windows, though. 

Yes, I too, used  the non-acetone nail polish remover on Hot Wheels to remove goofy graphics, but Snake45 is right, you have to be careful around the plastic and clear parts. I applied with a q-tip on just what I was removing and tried to get it off as fast as possible. I have not fooled with Hot Wheels for nearly 10 years, so maybe the paint is different now and you may need to experiment on a junker first.

Looks like you have duplicate posts on this.

They used to be Tampo printed (the dull ink). I have not bought any new Hot wheels for several years. So the graphics are now shiny?  I wonder if they have modernized from Tampo-printing to direct-to-substrate ink jet printing using UV-curable inks? That is what the model railroad industry is now embracing for decorating those models.  If that is the case, those will be hard to dissolve.

The mainlines such as the one pictured will still remove with nail polish remover.  I removed a big graphic from a Buick GNX recently with regular old nail poish remover.  If it is a high diollar car, the graphics will not remove easily as they are under the clear.  Star Wars A100 van is the example I wanted to clean up.  There are lots of vids on Youtube.  One guy cleaned out some markers of various sizes and refilled them with the acetone for better control.  YMMV of course.  But I would jump right on that blue Dodge pictured with the acetone and not be too worried about the underlying paint.  

9 hours ago, peteski said:

Nail polish remover is acetone with fragrance. Unless you are using a non-acetone remover. :D

So nail polish remover or acetone do not attack (or dull) the base paint itself?  Wow!

I believe I specified NON-acetone nail polish remover in my first post. I wouldn't let acetone anywhere near model paint. 

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I believe I specified NON-acetone nail polish remover in my first post. I wouldn't let acetone anywhere near model paint. 

I was replying to randyc's post above mine. He just said nail polish remover without clarification of the type.