Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Corvette (Monogram) - Updated 28 Jan 2019

John Jacobs

• John Jacobs changed the title to 1967 Corvette (Monogram) - Updated 12 Jan 2017

Thanks for the comments.

I was a little disappointed that the hood decals (were going to be white stripes) and the red lines for the tires completely disintegrated when I put them in water.  I'm really happy with the look of the metallic green paint after several coats of Future, so my disappointment was short-lived.  The metallic paint seems to be very porous, so it took about 5 coats before it started looking glossy.

Here is the engine, now installed on the chassis.

IMG_3943.thumb.jpg.641a23493a61c418c86a61bd635170ca.jpg

• John Jacobs changed the title to 1967 Corvette (Monogram) - Updated 13 Jan 2018

I should have been clearer.  The Testors green metal flake paint went on okay, but it took about 5 coats of Future before it became glossy.  I don't think the paint is intended to look glossy, being a metallic paint.  I was surprised how much Future it soaked up, though.

Regarding the decals, this kit, along with a bunch of others, was given to me by a guy who had them sitting in his garage for years, maybe decades.  The decals must be extremely brittle from exposure to poor air conditions.  I found a product online called liquid decal film by Microscale that may be able to preserve some of the decals from other kits.  It's too late for this one, but that's okay.

• 11 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, John Jacobs said:

I should have been clearer.  The Testors green metal flake paint went on okay, but it took about 5 coats of Future before it became glossy.  I don't think the paint is intended to look glossy, being a metallic paint.  I was surprised how much Future it soaked up, though.

Regarding the decals, this kit, along with a bunch of others, was given to me by a guy who had them sitting in his garage for years, maybe decades.  The decals must be extremely brittle from exposure to poor air conditions.  I found a product online called liquid decal film by Microscale that may be able to preserve some of the decals from other kits.  It's too late for this one, but that's okay.

That Micro Superfilm is excellent stuff! It definitely should be able to save some decals, for you.

John, your progress on this Vette looks beautiful! I will be following this.

43 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

That Micro Superfilm is excellent stuff! It definitely should be able to save some decals, for you.

I believe the point about using the Microscale film is that you have to be aware of the decal's poor state beforehand. Once they disintegrate in the water, it's too late. So maybe one should use the film precautiously on all old decals...

• 1 month later...
  • John Jacobs changed the title to 1967 Corvette (Monogram) - Updated 28 Jan 2019
  • 8 months later...
On 12/21/2018 at 2:26 AM, Tommy124 said:

John, your progress on this Vette looks beautiful! I will be following this.

I believe the point about using the Microscale film is that you have to be aware of the decal's poor state beforehand. Once they disintegrate in the water, it's too late. So maybe one should use the film precautiously on all old decals...

Micro Superfilm is safe for all decals. I have yet to hear of an instance in which it's failed to save an old sheet(although, I am sure there are exceptions). Just brush it on, and let it dry, and apply, as usual. They recommend multiple coats for older decals. Granted, once they've disintegrated in water, it's a bit late! ?