Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey happy new year?My Jeep battery is dead

NYLIBUD

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought: once you get the battery charged up, check that the interior dome light near the back hatch wasn't bumped to the "on" position. In broad daylight it can be difficult to tell it's on, and it will suck the battery dead in relatively short order.  '98 Cherokee here, and my battery seems to go flat with some regularity, especially when it's cold out. Good luck!

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And people get offended when I say that a lot of "techs" these days are incompetent.

5 hours ago, High octane said:

They ARE incompetent, but they like the "title" of being called a technician.

Lol, I know a body guy that refers to many of them as "parts changers", since they change parts based on what a computer tells them.   Had one buy a receiver pack  and when he discovered the plug to go into the receiver was different (I was either off or on lunch when he bought it, and nobody else on staff that day may have known better), instead of calling my store, explaining the problem and bringing things in to get things straightened out, be butchered the wiring on the battery he bought and on the 4 AA holder the truck came with and put the wires together with wire nuts. Needless to say, nothing worked and he came back mad, and got even more so when I said we couldn't take things back because of how he hacked things up!

2 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Lol, I know a body guy that refers to many of them as "parts changers", since they change parts based on what a computer tells them.   Had one buy a receiver pack  and when he discovered the plug to go into the receiver was different (I was either off or on lunch when he bought it, and nobody else on staff that day may have known better), instead of calling my store, explaining the problem and bringing things in to get things straightened out, be butchered the wiring on the battery he bought and on the 4 AA holder the truck came with and put the wires together with wire nuts. Needless to say, nothing worked and he came back mad, and got even more so when I said we couldn't take things back because of how he hacked things up!

I would assume that most (?) people know that you can't return things after they've been altered, as this is nothing new.

2 hours ago, High octane said:

I would assume that most (?) people know that you can't return things after they've been altered, as this is nothing new.

It's had to find stores that still enforce a return policy like that, let alone consumers who won't pitch a fit over it when they're in the wrong.  That's some of why I'm happy not to be in retail any more, besides the near constantly changing scheduling, hours spent walking or standing around, ect.  I slent more time than I liked working the Service Desk at the now closed Toy's "R" Us in St. Charles (they closed it and another little TRU 10 years after I left and opened one larger store on Randall Rd, since that is where the shopper were) and that was one of only jobs I hated in that store, the other was working in the "R" Zone (electronics department).  I've been accused of "Decimation of Character by a thief, had somebody demand a full refund on a partial return on some Buy One, Get One Free purchases, slot car set returned "because the cars wouldn't stay on the track", taken back stuff from other stores that we also sold and given them more than they paid the other stores back for them..........I'll just stop there, but will say that I preferred cleaning toilets and the fridge in the breakroom to that job.

12 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Um....yea,the Jeep is fine.

Thanks guys

It could be the crank position sensor.(?) It's a smallish gadget bolted to the back side of the bell housing on the drivers side. It uses a plug so you'll need a set of pliers to get it apart, and about every drive extension and gooseneck extension you own. It's best to jack up the drivers side front and reach it from underneath. If that sensor goes, it's about like the older Plymouths ballast resistors, when it goes, it kills EVERYTHING. Simple part, simple fix, huge PITA when it goes bad.... The crank sensor used to run about $50 or so. If you have a garage do it, they'll prob tell you they need to pull the tranny.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, bismarck said:

It could be the crank position sensor.(?) It's a smallish gadget bolted to the back side of the bell housing on the drivers side. It uses a plug so you'll need a set of pliers to get it apart, and about every drive extension and gooseneck extension you own. It's best to jack up the drivers side front and reach it from underneath. If that sensor goes, it's about like the older Plymouths ballast resistors, when it goes, it kills EVERYTHING. Simple part, simple fix, huge PITA when it goes bad.... The crank sensor used to run about $50 or so. If you have a garage do it, they'll prob tell you they need to pull the tranny.  Hope this helps.

I remember when that sensor went bad on my old Jeep (2000 WJ GC)... the engine shut off while driving, would not start, was an intermittent issue over a few days...took 2 trips to the shop for them to figure it out.. they thought it was the battery cable the first time. Over 100k miles I had a lot of electrical and sensor maladies w/ that Jeep.  But for the most part it got me to work everyday. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Just got a 2014 F150 with 21000 miles. Bought the extended warranty so only costs $50.00 to go to the shop. This thing has more gegaws than I know how to operate. I can work on the older stuff, but if anything goes out on this one it's somebody elses problem. But, it is a really nice truck and fun to drive.

Yeah, my '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee I bought last year w/ 25k miles makes my old one ('00 Jeep Grand Cherokee) seem like a CJ5  in comparison...has a lot of technology..touch screen, NAV,  backup camera, satellite radio, AWD w/ settings for mud, snow, etc, load leveling suspension,  etc...got the extended warranty...   Loving it so far..