Model Cars Magazine Forum

A dead horse, Bronco Christmas build

For many years now there has been a Christmad build thing going on the swedish Skallerackers forum. The rules are simple, you start with an unstarted kit on Christmas eve and finish it by new years eve. Scale and type of model is free to choose.
This time I went for Monograms 1:24 1980 Ford Bronco. A kit with not that many parts should be possible to finish in a week (at least if it was not for the fact that I have a family that requires me to spend time with them aswell:rolleyes:)

So this is where I started off:
2v2uzqPKqxBHn7q.jpg

I wanted to get it done quickly so went for the "panzer-builder-way" and glued all of the chassis, engine and stuff togheter in one go. Then I painted it flat black.
2v2uzqPw5xBHn7q.jpg
2v2uzqPsLxBHn7q.jpg

Used Scenic Rust from Deluxe Materials, never tried it before. I used liberal amounts of rust on the chassis and floorpan. This is never getting back on the road:lol:
2v2uzqk9FxBHn7q.jpg
2v2uzqP8dxBHn7q.jpg

Interior was painted all black and with various pigments I tried to make it look dirty and nasty.
2v2uzqPdgxBHn7q.jpg

The body was subjected to a beating with a Dremel and some flame and screwdriver. Lots of dings and rust. I primed and painted it in a blue that is similar to an original color. I want to flatten it out and add more Scenic Rust to the damamged parts.
2v2uzqPThxBHn7q.jpg
2v2uzqPCWxBHn7q.jpg
The tires are also going to be worn out (balded) and airless and "old looking" before I'm done. I'm also making abase for it, sunken in to the ground with leaves and branches and some moss-like look to it.

Thank you for the comments, I'm glad to see that you like it. I have never had much experience with weathering before so it is very much a trial and error. I'm trying to replicate a vehicle that has been driven in a typical moist and cold climate (like Chicago or New York or indeed Norway) and the rust damamge is very much the same that can be seen on vehicles here where I live. My 2004 Mazda 6 is one of them. I was shocked to find that a lot of the undercarrige looked like it had been at the bottom of the sea for several years but that is just normal for a 10-15 year old vehicle around here that is driven in the 8-month long roadsalt period and only washed when it is mild enough not to freeze (wich is only before early November and after early April).

For the interior my inspiration is a Opel Kadett B (1967-1972) that is sitting outside near my parents cabin. It has been sitting outside since 1985 in a coastal climate. Covered in snow most of the winter and then grass (and in later years, small trees) are growing around, trough and under it in the summer. The floors in that is covered in something that is white/lightgrayish mixed with some green and looks a bit like dusty fur in its texture.

Here is a couple of pictures of the Opel (not the inside)
DSC01190.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

In many ways, this Opel Kadett is what I think of when I'm building this Bronco. It is beyond saving. I'm sure that if one tried to move it away from its restingplace it would rip open as the body is more old paint than metal nowadays.

3 hours ago, Atmobil said:

The floors in that is covered in something that is white/lightgrayish mixed with some green and looks a bit like dusty fur in its texture.

Mold, mildew and fungus.  Often seen here in the USA in flood-damaged cars.  Not surprising in that poor Opel, which has been sitting thru extreme temperature changes for a long time.

Good beater work, and another comment sounds promising: "I'm also making a base for it, sunken in to the ground with leaves and branches and some moss-like look to it."  Here's some inspiration from Per Olav Lund:

lund.jpg

Thanks for the comments, I have seen a lot of Per Olavs work over the years, he is really good at making dioramas. And yes, I do think the floors in the Opel are covered with fungus, mildew and mold. I don't think I would breath in if I was on the inside of it without a mask.

• 3 months later...

So, Christmas and Easter have both passed with a good margin and it is springtime here in little Norway. I'm doing some work now and then to this dead horse or as it is from now on going to be called "Flogging a dead horse"
It is far from done but I added details to the interior and glued the body on top of it. I have played around with various powders from the Doc O'Briens kit and some MIG washes here and there. I made a base from a leftover shelf from some IKEA shelf that collapsed on us a few years ago and some plaster on top of that. Painted it flatblack and have added several styles of Woodland Scenics grass and turf flocking and some sand.

IMG_0787-vi.jpg
IMG_0791-vi.jpg
IMG_0810-vi.jpg
IMG_0812-vi.jpg
IMG_0813-vi.jpg

Will be adding more updates in the future:)

• 1 month later...