Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's Corvette pseudo Road Racer - now finished.

maltsr

I've had the Revell 1967 Corvette Coupe in my stash for a few years, but this image I found online has inspired me.  It's a UK car about which I know nothing, but my build will be similar to this. I plan to use Tamiya Pearl White and Gloss Black spraypaint, but I'm unsure whether to use the Minilite style wheels that come with the kit or source some five spokes from my spares. So far I've tidied up the body and bonnet (hood) and removed the bumper mounts front and rear.

BicesterHeritageScramble-19-2000x1335.thumb.jpg.d0a44e8fe9da86df20ddd0d69d565671.jpgP1080275.thumb.JPG.ee1e9595144c0db00eaae33a4993a056.JPGP1080280.thumb.JPG.caf47f0e2dc4199268b5c4f8f6bf02ed.JPG

Edited by maltsr

I'll enjoy watching this. The Hood on your prototype is the '65 big block style hood but the Grand Sport style you show is in keeping with the Racing theme. I think it would have more to do with the Class that the vehicle would be entered into anyway. Either Minilite Wheels or the American style wheels were commonly used on these cars at that time. Should you want to go with the five spokes Revell offeres some very nice ones in several different kits. Depending on what kits you have access to the '32 Ford 3-Window has very nice wheels and tires. My favorites are the ones in the Greenwood's '71 Sebring Corvette. This kit has been reissued using different decals and names, but the wheels are the Americans molded with no center caps on the wheels and the tires represent Racing tires of the day. This kit would also provide you with the side exhaust seen in your picture. I'm not trying to tell you how to build your model I'm just trying to share some possible parts source.   

Sir, the wheels on the Vette are not Minilites, they are American Racing Wheel mags. They are available in a number of kits. The kits that come with the wheels for sure are Monograms 68 SCCA Owens/Corning Vette and the 65 Penske Vette, which you may want to pick up as it has a lot of vintage racing equipment that you might want. HTH, Joel. 

Update on the build, took the opportunity of some fine weather to do the paint.  Just a few touch ups required, nothing major (phew!).

P1080297.thumb.JPG.443eb8f933dfac11a0da7a49da8813a3.JPGP1080300.thumb.JPG.7b857850ff79ffe19d31f18ec33b8258.JPG

I'm using this version of the kit which came with Minilite-style wheels and an exhaust similar to that of the protoytype.  Will do some mockups with wheels in due course.

.index.jpg.b0bb80e876e92768dc0e4cb6ed8e810b.jpg

Thanks for following and all comments welcome.

FYI, regarding building a road race Corvette if you want accuracy, the hood is way wrong for anything other than a GS Vette like in the Accurate Miniatures GS Vette kits. They had a tube frame. On a stock-based Corvette prepared for racing would race in the SCCA Production Class. In that class, such a hood would have kicked the car into the Sports Racing class with the McLarens, Lolas and Chaparrals. I was an SCCA  Tech Inspector in the late 60s and early 70s. And have since made a living as a race car fabricator and have done many restorations.

Thanks for the interest guys. 

On 07/01/2018 at 2:20 PM, Modlbldr said:

Ooohh! That paint looks purdy! Nice work so far. I've had in mind to build one that I have a picture of saved.

Looking forward to your progress.

Later-

As mentioned in the opening post, this isn't a replica or an accurate racer, the prototype just served as inspiration to build something from my stash, I hope it inspires you to do the same , Tom ;).

Managed to touch up the paint, then added some Tamiya clear followed by a quick polish and some leftover decals.  I gave the Minilite-style wheels some paint in keeping with the theme, using Tamiya X-16 Gunmetal and X-11 Chrome Silver.

P1080310.thumb.JPG.28f765c03ffc2379f4a8d041e95e8d7d.JPG

Now that my Blue Bandito is finished, I've been able to turn my attention back to the Corvette.  The engine has been built and wired, but I used the spare alternator which has a mounting bracket attached to it.  IMG_20180116_175827780.thumb.jpg.3130d25ec07a8f0e08c2dc20694a2935.jpg

The kit is interior is nicely detailed and was carefully painted with Tamiya Italian Red, water-based Citadel paint for the carpeting and Molotow Chrome for the trim and handles etc.IMG_20180116_174638931.thumb.jpg.fe929a50ef81cfbf94dc3055bac5d68f.jpgIMG_20180116_174737261.thumb.jpg.55731c8e9bda1fc44ffc5b5de40a0e97.jpg