Model Cars Magazine Forum

C7 Corvette Convertible 3LT

ismaelg

Hello!

Here is a quick peek at a "secondary" project I've been working on for the past few days while the blue C7 is progressing.

Now, before you sentence me to death by even looking at a dreaded diecast (GASP!), let me explain:  The current 7th generation of Corvettes has not been offered in plastic kits.  Only the ill fitting C7R and the snap Stingray.  There is also a glue version of the Stingray.   The snap kit is rather crude but workable. That's the one I'm working as my main project now along with the C7R.  But there are no convertibles, Grand Sports, Z06 and I don't really expect a ZR1 either.      

I've never paid much attention to 1/24 diecasts.  But Walgreens had the Maisto 1/24 C7 Corvette convertible on sale for $9 each (and the Z06 and what they claim to be a Grand Sport which is a lame attempt we will discuss later). So I picked them up without any real intentions.  I noticed they were missing brake rotors and calipers. So I thought I'd just add brakes and polish the less than stellar paint.  Or so I thought.  One thing got after another, and the convertible became a project on its own. So I stripped it and started working on it.  It is a crude starting point so I don't really expect much from it.  But let's see how it goes. 

I started with this: After getting past the nausea inducing door gaps, I noticed the wheels have no brake details. Interior detail is very simple but not much worst that the snap kit I'm working on. Actually, the seats look good. 

2v2uzFzFWxJ21ND.jpg

Took it apart and was ready to be stripped....

2v2uzJzDjxJ21ND.jpg

When I noticed the rear deck lid was PLASTIC!  If it had come in contact with the harsh paint stripper it would have been destroyed.

2v2uze1FLxJ21ND.jpg

Brake fluid took care of the deck lid.  The plastic is not styrene. It is a bit softer but workable.

2v2uzJewgxJ21ND.jpg

If the gaps were big to start with, after stripping the thick paint they are unacceptably HUGE!

2v2uzJfAGxJ21ND.jpg

So I started adding material (styrene)  to all sides to keep proper alignment.
2v2uzJtqyxJ21ND.jpg

2v2uzJYRDxJ21ND.jpg
2v2uzE9hGxJ21ND.jpg

Progressing alongside the Revell snap 1/25 Stingray. The scale difference between 1/24 and 1/25 is noticeable. 

2v2uzEeFqxJ21ND.jpg

Same process for the doors.  I can't stand those huge gaps.

2v2uzE7UWxJ21ND.jpg

Slowly getting there...

2v2uzES4zxJ21ND.jpg

2v2uzHREjxJ21ND.jpg

With the exception of the noticeable difference in weight, from this point forward it is just another model project.  When I was happy with the grey primer, I applied white primer and worked it.  Once perfect, correct Arctic white lacquer was applied followed by lacquer clear. 

2v2uzHsG8xJ21ND.jpg

Masked and airbrushed the gloss black trim behind the seats.

2v2uzHT5zxJ21ND.jpg

Focusing on the interior, I am replicating a 3LT adrenaline red color scheme.  Added belts and guides.

2v2uzHSfzxJ21ND.jpg

2v2uzHhbuxJ21ND.jpg

Tried to put some life into the rather poorly engraved interior tub

2v2uzHSM8xJ21ND.jpg

Doors were glued shut. The hood has to be separate because it is required to be off (or at least open) to install the windshield.  Can't see it in the pic but it polished out beautifully.  Started the fun part of free hand painting the intensive black trim.

2v2uzZJ9yxJ21ND.jpg

And that's where it is now.  After the blue C7 is finished, this one will be next most likely along with the C7R.  Not expecting much based on it's humble origins, but having fun with it.

Sorry for the long post...

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Interior is done and in place.  Molded tail lights painted.  Black trim was a royal pain everywhere.  This will go to the back of the display shelf.  It looks good from a distance but don't get close...

20180122_065707b.jpg.c2c1f57932437f8c7d1330e07f898a6f.jpg

20180122_065818b.jpg.6f0f6b56ea0ee49f5bfde952a978e831.jpg

20180122_065917b.jpg.6b307226d4be5e3df75eb0bdd20c112f.jpg

Thanks,