Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner Cabover with a Detroit

Hello, and welcome to my first post on the work bench. I have started this build a long time ago, but I just now started to pick back up on it. I am constructing the AMT White Freightliner dual drive cabover. My plan is to build mostly box stock with a couple modifications here and there, most notably an engine swap (Detroit Diesel 8v71T). I will get my first pictures posted soon, but I want to show the truck I am basing my model off of. The truck is (I'm assuming) a 1971 model. It has a Detroit 8v71 and a 13 speed Roadranger.

20170811_181950.jpg

20180102_173327.jpg

3 hours ago, Muncie said:

Cool! neat old truck.  I ran across a 1966 Freightliner in Montana last summer in similar condition - had to stop - the owner really wanted me to take it home...

As it sits, does this truck have the 8V-71T engine?

As it sits right now, it is only an 8v71N. I'm just putting an 8v71T in mine just because I had one already built. I have always had a soft spot for these old Freightliners, and I'm hoping this guy would let go of his.

Edited by TheSDTrucker

41 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks like a cool project!!!  I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this one!!

Just a note: the AMT directions tell you to put the cab latches on upside down and the front wheel stance is a little wide if built stock.

Ready for some progress pictures!:D

Thank you for the tips! I really enjoy seeing your builds, and while i know my first build will not compare to your builds, I really do take a lot of inspiration from your fantastic work!

1 minute ago, TheSDTrucker said:

Thank you for the tips! I really enjoy seeing your builds, and while i know my first build will not compare to your builds, I really do take a lot of inspiration from your fantastic work!

Thanks for the kind words, but my work is just trial and error, heavy on the error.:D

You've chosen a great subject. I'm sure that it will be great!

16 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

It's gonna have a green leaker..ya know I'll be lurking ! 

Looks like a great project , especially how good the inspiration photo appears 

Haha, if there's one thing to know about me, I'm a green leaker guy! Try making that same iconic noise from any other engine from Cat or Cummins. Thank you for the kind words, and I'll also take the time now to say you have a fantastic build going on yourself! I love seeing your scratchbuilding skills at work.

So I've been staring at what is done on the model right now. As I look at it, I'm not very satisfied with the frame and parts of the cabin interior. I think I'll be redoing some of the parts on this truck, I want it to look it's best.

Edited by TheSDTrucker

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

This should be a cool project.  I like the photos of your inspiration truck (nice Kawasaki in the background, too).

Model kits are meant to be built, at least that's my take on it. :)

That is true, they always make more. What's strange is how much of a Freightliner fanatic I am. Had it been a Peterbilt or Kenworth I probably wouldn't have hesitated to tear that box open. I've just always had sentimental value for the old Freightshakers. And I do agree, that was a very nice Kawasaki, I think he only wanted a grand and a half for it.

As of right now, the only complete part of the truck I have is the engine (Belts and fan is all painted, I just haven't added it to the engine yet). My choice for the engine is a Detroit Diesel 8v71T. The engine is a resin cast from Auslowe Truck Accessories, pained in Alpine Green Duplicolor engine enamel. It is paired to a Fuller transmission, also from Auslowe.

20180104_221752.jpg

Depending on how accurate you are wanting to be. The one pictured is a tube type split rim, those sold by Double Take and Moluminum are tubeless style. Both Double Take and Moluminum have excellent rims, but they will vary slightly from this rim. They are as you said "regular five hole." Most people would probably not notice the difference.  You may also contact Dave at A.I.T.M.. He used to sell rims like these, but I'm not sure if he still does. Another option if you're looking for rears only is the Ertl kit wheels. The ones on the back of my Highbinder are resin copies of those. Those can be found in the Paystar kit and in the Transtar II with chrome hubs. Gary didn't list any wheels on the list that I received from him last year.

10 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

He's still going strong. Check out his website if you haven't already.

Just checked it out now, placed an order for some photoetch detailing for this kit. Stuff looks awesome, I always hated the kit grille, plastic is too thick for my liking.

8 hours ago, youngtiger1 said:

Nice start. I was eyeballing this kit few days ago. May I ask, is this 2 n 1 really has 2 complete kits or just option to do 1 or the other? TIA

Mike

6 hours ago, Force said:

You can only build one complete truck from the 2 'n 1 kit, so you have to decide if you want to do a day cab or sleeper cab, long or short chassis, single drive or dual drive.

That's the only part of this kit that I didn't like. It would have been really cool to have a true two-in-one kit