Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pre-digital Dioramas

Gramps46

Just goes to show what could be done during those days before digital cameras...... and we have it so easy now. I remember buying a 24 or 36 exposure film, black & white or colour, loading it into the SLR camera, hoping that each shot would actually come out, never mind come out good, then taking the film in to Boots the Chemist, waiting two weeks for developing and finally collecting and paying for the 24 or 36 photographs. Quite often you would get maybe three good photos out of 36, if you were lucky. These days of course, we shoot as many photos as we like and upload them to the computer in seconds, and end up with hundreds of folders containing thousands of images. You can try for one exceptional shot of your diorama by taking 60 almost identical shots, or vary the angle and settings slightly and away you go !

David

• 1 month later...

Heh, sorry David those particular 4x5 shots aren't anything to write home about.  I do have a bunch of 35mm slides to scan of the diorama, which was constructed for the shoot.  For fun.  It had a 1:48 scale RR track on a plate girder bridge crossing over a road.   On the street below I had placed a few of my 1:43 diecast cars,  including a truck hauling a representation of a disused wooden electric trolley car (i.e. tram) body...barely passing underneath the bridge.

I had the pleasure of having one of those slides published in Model Railroader magazine in the readers' photos section.