Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 340 Dart

restoman

I'm using a Revell GTS big block Dart and converting it to a small block four speed. A Day Two kind of car...

I built this years ago as a white with black interior 383 car. The resto bug hit and into the Super Clean it went.

I'm using a resin copy of the '71 Duster engine and trans, with a Fireball Holley and a dual snorkel air breather. The interior was altered with the addition of a four speed, non-console hump, nicely covered with black embossing powder.

Stole the Cragars from a Nova kit and the BFGs are Fireball resin.

The Light Bronze is nail polish, cleared with automotive clear. The vinyl top is dry sprayed flat white.

Comments always welcome. :)

dart 1 5.jpg

dart 2 5.jpg

dart 3 5.jpg

dart 4 5.jpg

dart vinyl 1 5.jpg

dart vinyl 2 5.jpg

2 hours ago, Steamboat said:

Looking good.

A comment on the air cleaner: if you want ultimate accuracy the snorkels should be absent for '69.  The air comes in from underneath.  It's a taller air cleaner with a smaller diameter. The one from the 383 should be pretty close.

Yeah... the un-silenced breather from the 383 would work.

...But this is a Day Two kind of car, so...

Thanks for the comment, though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Coming together nicely...

After fitting the small block, there was a fair bit of fiddling around getting the chassis to fit up tight. Think I should have shaved the motor mounts slightly, the distributor is up tight against the wiper motor.

Comments always welcome.

340 dart 1.jpg

340 dart 2.jpg

340 dart 3.jpg

It's not really, only a stump of resin under the cap. Just enough to pin it in place.  That's what  makes me think the engine should have been lowered a bit... but the oil pan is almost touching the center link and k member. :(

IT's all glued in place now, with just enough clearance for the carb and breather, so it'll be what it'll be. ;)

Potentially silly question : you did offset the engine to the passenger-side , right ?  The 383-powered A-bodies also had unique K-members vs. their small V8 counterparts (the Slant Six family , again , had their own specific K-member as well) . Perhaps the one from the AMT Duster 340 would be better ?

Nice looking Dart !

Yeah, the motor mounts already set the engine slightly to the right. 

Different K members? I doubt Revell was that thorough... ;)

I looked at it, and looked at it, and looked at it some more. Then I pulled it apart and modified the engine mounts to get it sitting lower. Also had to rework the centerlink a touch and do a little filing on the oil pan sump for clearance. On the mock up, it seems much better. :)

3 hours ago, Dodge Driver said:

Hi Mike,

Are the T/A tires painted white resin? They look fantastic (everything does too). I'm thinking of getting a set to represent RWL tires.

Yeah, from Fireball. They rock, but I don't think he makes them anymore. :( Easily the best looking BFGs I've seen!

I should have bought a bunch when I had the chance... still have one set un-touched.

" I'm using a resin copy of the '71 Duster engine and trans, "

Where did you get that resin engine/trans?

When I was in high school in the early 70s, a friend of mine drove a '69 Dart GTS 340 4-speed. Single 4bbl carb. It was a copper metallic color with black interior, a plain hood, no vinyl roof, and a black GTS stripe on the tail. Oh, and Mopar rally wheels. They were 15, rather than the stock Dart 14s, I suspect his dad got them from a B-Body Mopar. I'm building a Revell Dart into a Trans Am 67. The engine should be a 273, But the 340 is about as close as I'm gonna get. So I'm using one out of an AMT '71 Duster. It's interesting to me what you do to fit the 340 into it.

1 hour ago, DustyMojave said:

" I'm using a resin copy of the '71 Duster engine and trans, "

Where did you get that resin engine/trans?

When I was in high school in the early 70s, a friend of mine drove a '69 Dart GTS 340 4-speed. Single 4bbl carb. It was a copper metallic color with black interior, a plain hood, no vinyl roof, and a black GTS stripe on the tail. Oh, and Mopar rally wheels. They were 15, rather than the stock Dart 14s, I suspect his dad got them from a B-Body Mopar. I'm building a Revell Dart into a Trans Am 67. The engine should be a 273, But the 340 is about as close as I'm gonna get. So I'm using one out of an AMT '71 Duster. It's interesting to me what you do to fit the 340 into it.

I copied the engine and trans myself. There just aren't any small blocks out there and I can't see raiding kits for them all the time. I've got plans for a LOT of small block Mopar projects. :) 

Fitting the engine was pretty easy: I shaved the K member mounts and the trans crossmember mount to get the engine lower, as seen in my pics. Trial and error...

I didn't do it here, but the water pump snout is fairly long. The next one I do, I'll spend some time fitting the pulley and belt closer to the engine. With a cooling fan in place, there is ZERO room to fit a rad. This car has a shroud that hits, so I'll have to come up with something... maybe go with the shroud and ditch the fan.