Model Cars Magazine Forum

CBP: Radwood 2018 - AMG Mercedes 500SL

iamsuperdan

FOr those unaware, there's a Radwood 2018 community build going on now. 

www.radwood.com

"Radwood is a celebration of '80s and '90s automotive lifestyle. The car show that blends period correct dress with automotive awesomeness. A period correct event for cars, trucks, and bikes from 1980-1999 that captures the essence of a bodacious era. Wear your best '80s and '90s clothing and bring your rollerblades or BMX bike, because it's going to get RAD!"

In view of that, I've started my build!

My base is the Tamiya Mercedes-Benz AMG 500SL. Not straying too far from box stock, but will be painted and detailed in a totally tubular 80s worthy finish, and will have some period correct adds.

The kit arrived already started, inthat the body has been sanded, misted, then sanded again. In looking at it, I'm not sure I need to do much more to the body. I can tell you, the finished product will not be blue.

The only assembly I've done so far is to get a start on the engine. Lots of painting though, getting pieces pre-painted and ready for assembly.

Soundtrack while working on this last night was a theme appropriate Duran Duran "mixtape" I made on Spotify. Here's the link, if you're opn Spotify and so inclined. 

IMG_20180102_1934529.jpg.709931e048bec54cc29d9257d524d8ad.jpg

IMG_20180102_2028074.jpg.cabd0ba17a114cee937ddc488483f991.jpg

IMG_20180102_2027521.jpg.dff32e42eee45f14fb0c4c0781b12b38.jpg

IMG_20180102_2028012.jpg.8cc8550bd0562facac17b50215650cad.jpg

35 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

I'm excited to see the progress on this one! Do you have a color in mind yet?

I definitely have a colour picked out, and have bought the paint already. keeping that a surprise for now. :)

15 minutes ago, BVC500 said:

Looking forward to seeing more. Radwood is a cool event! Keep in mind that the instructions call for chrome trim around the windshield, doors, and tonneau cover, but that's incorrect. It should be painted black chrome.

I don't typically follow instructions when it comes to paint. I'll hit up the internet and will find as many pics as possible of my subject, then go from there. And there will be very little chrome on this one!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, skid896 said:

Nice choice of build, how old is the kit?  Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Kit is probably an early 90s issue. I don't think Tamiya would have done a reissue of this one, and if they did, it would be hard to tell because unlike the domestic kit manufacturers, box art doesn't change.

I'll have a look and see if I can see a date on the box or instructions.

:)

Project glacier speed continues!

At least that's how fast it feels sometimes.

I even created a Radwood friendly 80s mix on Spotify to get me in the right frame of mind.

Anyway, most of my progress has been the painting of parts, with very little assembly done so far. It's tough to get real progress when you can't spray due to weather. So right now, all of the suspension, exhaust, engine, and brake components are painted. I've also started on the interior, which is something I can comeplete without use of spraying.

Here's the half-finished engine, with no weathering or final detailing done.

IMG_20180106_2134103.jpg.8818460efd00475c94ee2926d32aeca4.jpg

i'll try and make the next update a little more exciting!

• 3 months later...

Okay, it's been a while, but I have a little progress on this thing. The weather is finally nice, so I've bene in the garage doing some spraying. I have the body primed, and it will be sanded and painted this week. Hoepfully some of it done tonight. I've also primed and painted the chassis, so I can start assembling the powertrain and suspension.

Interior has been coming along nicely.

More importantly, last night's sound track wasn't purely 80s, although Pop Will Eat Itself did get their start in the 80s. :)

20180423_192040.jpg

20180423_192049.jpg

20180423_192112.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got a little more done over the past couple of days. Getting there. And the more I look, the more ideas I get for some extra details to add. I'm enjoying this build.

I managed to decant my spray paint and get the wheels done. Weird, looks blotchy in the pics. Reflections maybe?

20180512_120125.jpg

On the stereo last night... Pop Will Eat Itself. One of my fav bands of all time.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, WizPorsche944 said:

Man these pictures really make me want to start building mine. Where did you find the wheels on the middle SL ?

They came from the Tamiya Mercedes S600 coupe - no modifications needed to install them on the 500SL. You can also use the 500SL kit tires since they fit the wheels just fine, even if the side wall is a bit thick.

Edited by BVC500