Model Cars Magazine Forum

Contest winner from 1993

disconovaman

I laid down a coat of White Lightning white pearl paint.  I couldn't wait any longer to add the decals to see how it's gonna look. I rarely do this before getting other things done first but I couldn't wait any longer.

One thing that disappointed me was the word LIGHT wasn't as noticeable after I got the Loewy decal on. I'm just gonna have to keep moving. I'm 99% happy with the outcome.

I also want to say thanks for everyone's support so far. I definitely think we get more motivated to do the work when we have an audience.... keep watching, it isn't over yet!

20180130_175447.jpg

20180130_175902.jpg

20180130_175709.jpg

20180130_164909.jpg

20180130_175552.jpg

20180201_154519.thumb.jpg.18ff81fcbb9a5b0fd2b59d5d38ae89c4.jpgWell, the decals are done. They're not perfect but I struggled with gettin them as good as they are. The bodywork was easier than applying the decals, I swear... lol! I had to touch it up with paint here and there and I'm not totally happy with it. Oh well, what are ya gonna do? I have to be ok with the outcome because there's no time to be disappointed. Hopefully clearcoat will distract the eye just enough. Thanks for looking.  Now for the hard part to begin, Right?... 

20180201_154551.jpg

20180201_154839.jpg

20180201_173124.jpg

Here is another quick update... I have desided to switch directions on the build. In order for the car to be competitive in today's land speed competitions it really needed to have a tube chassis and lightweight components. So I am in the process of untubbing a promod chassis to have a more moderen feel to it... on a side note, the Charles Carpenter 55 promod was available in 92 when I originally built the car so theoretically it could've been built this way originally.

I was fighting the urge to do this because I really wanted to keep as many of the original parts as I could but in the end it's the best option. 

I think the car should be built with updated parts and advanced knowledge and skills so I hope to show the progress on the promod work here. Thanks for looking, see ya soon.

20180208_132503.jpg

On 1/5/2018 at 11:51 PM, disconovaman said:

Check out this Jewel I picked up today at the local hobby shop. I'm gonna build me a gasser! Soon as finish the salt flat car... the tinted glass will be used on the re-build as well as some of the other parts from the new kit.

20180105_234104.jpg

I promise I'm not gettin distracted But I've kinda been stabbing at this thing also. what do you guys think?

20180210_193324.jpg

Thanks... I've been working on boxing in the tubs and settin the car up for salt flat racing and modifying the cage to fit the Studebaker body. I'll be using the linko transmission from the promod kit and I have the engine work goin on too. Twin turbos and all the coolers make up the engine bay...working on that stuff as well. I'll get back on it, gotta have it completed in about 3 weeks.

Chassis modification work goin on. It's not my greatest acheivement but I'm trying to keep it simple. I'm planning on spraying on some aluminum metallizer and buffing that. Hopefully it will look a little better. the directions show every thing is black so maybe this will ad some definition to it. Keep on truckin! 

20180211_131826.jpg

1518374623814202347850.jpg

I've been trying to get some finish work done to the land speed car in time for the March 3 contest.

Basically kinda boring stuff really. Looking back I wished I'd kept it more like the original build but it just kept getin more and more ambitious as I went and it has tramsformed into this.

I think I have another one in mind. I thought I'd gotten my feel of the kit now I've desided to ad another one. I'll ad completed pics of that one as not to bore you with the details. More later...

20180216_153820.jpg

20180216_160107.jpg

Back for another quick update, I've been working on the engine and front suspension details, here are some progress pics. One thing I wasn't sure on was how to mount those salt flat discs, but I discovered some wheel backs that were perfect so I cemented them together and it worked out well.  

I had some different ideas for engines but ultimately desided after some researching, the Slant 6 is very worthy of land speed records... alot of power adders and technology for those engines. I seen a youtube video of one  running a 9.0 in the quarter at over 150 mph... impressive for a six shooter.  

I have alot to do but I plan on wrapping it up this week. Ground effects, wing, parachutes, engine work, and other last minute details that will pop in my head by the end. Thanks for sticking around...

20180218_184445.jpg

20180218_203751.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot guys,

the wheels are Parts by Parks and the tires are from a 1:24 die cast camaro. They're the only tires that I could find with accurate poportions to the wheels because the "full moons" are actually 16's. 

One of my dissapointments with the build is that the front doesn't fit 100% now and has to be displayed seperate. But it's fine, I wished I could've been talked out of it though...lol 

A shout out to the MDA members and crew who do an incredible job cordinating the event. The show is one of the best I've ever been to with the most amazing builds.

20180304_102849.jpg

20180304_095405.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...