Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cobra Racing Team

cobraman

I did not notice that this kit has been reviewed so here is a short review for those interested . I have been trying to snag one of these kits for a few years but it always went for more than I was willing to pay . I was happy to see it out again . This one I will build and have another one on the way for my unbuilt Cobra collection . There is really nothing new here . If you ever built the Cobra kit or the Ford pick up there are no surprises in store for you . The trailer is pretty simple and has plastic tires . I will replace them . Two chrome trees . 13 tires including 2 pad printed slicks and 4 printed wide whites . There is a nice decal sheet . 

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

Really cool decal sheet...one small gripe though. I'd like to have seen them restore the Halibrand wheels that the Cobra kit original came with.  Also, it must have taken some doing to get the rights to make the Shelby American decals...

Cobraman, thanks very much for the review !!!

Edited by Pete L.

3 hours ago, vamach1 said:

The decal sheet looks great but not sure $50+ is worth it as I have no interest in the Pickup and trailer.

Same here. I have one of the trucks, 2 or 3 of those trailers, and at least three unbuilt Cobra kits, along with a good built one I did in the '90s and a genuine "survivor" I built in 1966 or '67. But I'd gladly pay for a few of those decal sheets. Would love to have about a half dozen of them. 

I was disappointed they used the Fireball 500 trailer instead of the AMT service trailer with the tire rack on it...its a much better trailer so Ill be passing on this one even though I am happy to see them bring the race team set out.   Maybe a future re-issue set will have the  better trailer in it like the old AMT 70s Modified Ford team set did...?...Id be very happy to see that one came back wit the earlier 70s Ford 2wd pickup. 

The black stripes and number 96 decals are for the yellow Allen Grant car. That car had a '56 F100 tow vehicle, so the '53 was the closest that AMT had. Shelby very rarely ran cars that weren't blue, but there were lots of private cars that weren't blue and had who-knows-what for a tow vehicle.

19 minutes ago, Vince Nemanic said:

The black stripes and number 96 decals are for the yellow Allen Grant car. That car had a '56 F100 tow vehicle, so the '53 was the closest that AMT had. Shelby very rarely ran cars that weren't blue, but there were lots of private cars that weren't blue and had who-knows-what for a tow vehicle.

:)

5a4e71f384a833b316199e8bec5ac555--george

3 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

I was disappointed they used the Fireball 500 trailer instead of the AMT service trailer with the tire rack on it...its a much better trailer so Ill be passing on this one even though I am happy to see them bring the race team set out.

The original kit included the double-axle trailer, so the reissue should include the same trailer. Looking at the image above, the trailer seems to be the closest match to what was actually used, too.

I'm pretty sure that the double axle trailer can be turned into the pictured with the Allen Grant car quite easily. Revell's Ford pick-up of that era can be used instead of the AMT pick-up.  Beside the numbers and the black stripes though,  I just wouldn't know where to get those Coventry Motors decals ?

Edited by Pete L.

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

IMG_0183.JPG

Oh so close!  The "96" roundels and black stripes get me about 1/2 to one I've wanted to build in worst way.  The sponsor logos, driver/mechanic names, and the "Executor" on the rear fenders are all missing, along with the "kidney bean" Halibrands.  Patto's Place out of Australia has a set, ALPS printed I believe.

Cbra-Executor-24.JPG

Edited by The Junkman

6 hours ago, Casey said:

The original kit included the double-axle trailer, so the reissue should include the same trailer. Looking at the image above, the trailer seems to be the closest match to what was actually used, too.

Imagine towing an original Cobra around town--much less cross country--on a single-axle trailer today! :blink:

12 hours ago, Pete L. said:

I'm pretty sure that the double axle trailer can be turned into the pictured with the Allen Grant car quite easily. Revell's Ford pick-up of that era can be used instead of the AMT pick-up.  Beside the numbers and the black stripes though,  I just wouldn't know where to get those Coventry Motors decals ?

thanks for posting kit review  Ray .  it's almost  worth it just for the decals.  i have been searching  for Cobra Powered by Ford  decals  for  Shelby  transport truck.

Pete,  i got this nice set of 1/24  decals  from   www.slotracing-werk.de/    search   DSC-decals  and you will find the Cobra decals.  it has  both the car and truck decals on 1 sheet.  great deal !

IMG_0044.JPG

17 hours ago, Casey said:

Ah..I see.  I am use to the 70s race team sets AMT put out.  I am happy there doing what they can to bring us new re-issues of older kits no matter what they are of...nice to have something different from the companies for a change.   In the 70s the 53 Ford pickup came with a car trailer with the tire rack and a car just thought it might have been the same as that issue was.

2 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I dont care about the kit, but I'd definitely take a couple sets of the decals. 

.....Don't worry on that note, David....no doubt Ebayers will soon be parting out these kit's and  I'll bet you see all the part's and decal sheet's up for grab's within a month or so.....the Ace...:P