Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue for Rubber Tires

On the current kit I'm working on, the chrome mag wheel covers fit very loosely into the rubber slicks and tires.  They also do not meet with the plastic inner wheels, so I can't glue the two together and "trap" the rubber tires between them.

Anyone know if super glue would bond the plastic and chrome parts to a rubber tire?  If not, any recommendations as to what to try?

TIA.

You may have to provide a picture of your wheel and tire combo to help better understand what you're working with. You mention a "chrome mag wheel cover". Is that a hub cap like the Chevelle SS hub caps from the '66 Lindberg kit? Remember when ever you're gluing a chromed part to something else you will need to remove the chrome in the contact area where you are gluing.  Is it possible to glue small spacers between the inner wheel and the outer wheel to compensate for the lack of width ?  

Can you tell us which specific kit you are working on, if the wheel cover and tires/slicks are all from that same kit?

It's almost never recommended to use any type of adhesive on the tires, so hopefully we can help you get a more snug tire to wheel fit.

Edited by Casey

All,

Thanks for the feedback.  Casey, your "almost never recommended" comment concerning adhesive on tires confirmed my apprehension about trying that.

I took another look at it and did some test fitting with half round strips and it looks like the styrene strip/spacer suggestions are my best bet, as the gaps are too big for Erik's BFM suggestion.

FYI...They're the slicks for the AMT/ERTL Popcorn Wagon kit.  Gotta love the show rods...

Onward...

3 hours ago, tmb727 said:

FYI...They're the slicks for the AMT/ERTL Popcorn Wagon kit.  Gotta love the show rods...

Ah, yes...I believe they included 1/25 scale tires in that issue? I have some 1/20 scale tires/slicks I could send you if you like. Pretty sure I have some of those 1/20 Cragar S/S wheels for test fitting, too.

11 hours ago, tmb727 said:

All,

Thanks for the feedback.  Casey, your "almost never recommended" comment concerning adhesive on tires confirmed my apprehension about trying that.

I took another look at it and did some test fitting with half round strips and it looks like the styrene strip/spacer suggestions are my best bet, as the gaps are too big for Erik's BFM suggestion.

Onward...

At first I thought you were possibly building the AMT 41 Willys drag car.  That one comes with scale 15" rims and 16" slicks.  Glad some of the other guys have been able to offer solutions.

Thanks for the tip, Ray.  I think I'm gonna go with the half round styrene strip as a "connector" between the inner and outer wheel rims, thus trapping the tire between them and - hopefully - holding everything in place.

Casey, thanks for the offer.  If my solution doesn't work, I'll let you know.