Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blizzard hits New York?❄️❄️??

NYLIBUD

Well it's official,we are having a blizzard here on Long Island.Total white out conditions.But when it's all done,I'll be going out and do some snow wheeling with my Jeep Cherokee,which is sitting on 35 inch tires,with a 6 1/2 inch lift.Lots of fun.:D

1 minute ago, NYLIBUD said:

Well it's official,we are having a blizzard here on Long Island.Total white out conditions.But when it's all done,I'll be going out and do some snow wheeling with my Jeep Cherokee,which is sitting on 35 inch tires,with a 6 1/2 inch lift.Lots of fun.:D

Be sure to post your Dash Cam Videos for all to enjoy. Stay warm.

So...do youse Yankees still use chains for driving in snow and ice like folks did when I was a kid up there?

In the sunny South, every time we get frozen precip, the ditches are littered with 4WD vehicles oh their roofs, after their big tires and traction-control failed to compensate for just plain stupid.

You might want to check that, Bob. according to this, studded snow tires are legal in Massachusetts from Nov. 2 to April 30. As of Oct. 2015, even the clowns here in New York are again allowing use of studded snow tires from Oct. 16 to April 30. Time to shred some asphalt!

7 hours ago, Dragline said:

No chains here. My FWD Cavalier does well.

I remember well the first FWD car I had.  I lived in Spokane, Washington(eastern side of the state on the Idaho boarder) where it really gets cold and we actually had winter.  I figured studded snow tires on the front because I got through winters in a RWD car with them on the rear only.  Bad move!!  First time I hit the brakes, the rears immediately locked up and lost any semblance of traction and steering control and I was doing 360's down an ice road, and there was no catching it with opposite lock.  I learned that FWD needs studs front and rear.

9 hours ago, mchook said:

The weather man said -24 degrees with the wind chill the next few nights, so I'll be enjoying these this weekend. Xmas gifts from the wife & kids.

model planes 020.JPG

Oh yea,there ya go.You'll be having a nice relaxing weekend.:D Have fun.

Glad I didn't have to learn that way Pete. That is a tasty tidbit there Joe. Time to SHRED. Oh wait...what Pete said.

Even though my fronts are a tad low pro they were up to it yesterday morning. About 1/2 way to work and I turned tail. The store closed at 10:00 and now I'm looking at my driveway and it's a frozen mess. I threw out ice melt last night [Actually 3 AM this morn]. Good thing I did.

Bet you still jones after a knish with spicy brown mustard, dirty water dogs with mustard, sauerkraut and onions washed down with a Yoo-Hoo and and a slice which doesn't taste like a piece of cardboard coated with ketchup and topped with imitation pasteurized cheese product. If you don't........ :P:D 

7 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Bet you still jones after a knish with spicy brown mustard, dirty water dogs with mustard, sauerkraut and onions washed down with a Yoo-Hoo and and a slice which doesn't taste like a piece of cardboard coated with ketchup and topped with imitation pasteurized cheese product. If you don't........ :P:D 

Stop it! I'm practically drooling now. A knish and a good cannoli are impossible to find in Amish country.

Frank, hop in the car and go to Circo's on Knickerbocker Ave. in Bushwick. Their cannolis are even better than Ferrara's in Little Italy. They also do mail order, wink-wink, nod-nod. ;) You can get Gabila knishes at Shop Rite. Get some Sabrett's Mustard and Onion Sauce and you're squared away. BTW, I'm typing this while having a chocolate egg cream and some tiramisu. 

12 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

All I miss are the knishes. Forget the rest. I had an uncle that had a Kosher deli there for around 20 years or so.

Here in PA  west of Philly we did get some snow, but no biggie.  Barely enough to drag out the snow blower, and then it was all gone with one pass. Yesterday we went to coastal New Jersey... man was there snow!   On my sister's suburban street there was a path down the center, and people had to dig out parking spaces.  

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Here in PA  west of Philly we did get some snow, but no biggie.  Barely enough to drag out the snow blower, and then it was all gone with one pass. Yesterday we went to coastal New Jersey... man was there snow!   On my sister's suburban street there was a path down the center, and people had to dig out parking spaces.  

Diggin' out parking spaces, I remember those days when I had lived in Chicago a long time ago. What a pain.