Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help ID old family cars

Hi everyone. While home over Christmas, looking for photos of my parent's '70 Nova, I came across these old family photos and I'm trying to ID the cars. I think, based on looking at some old car brochures the first car is a 1941 Chevy Town Sedan. That would have been my grandparent's car when my mom was born. The third photo, I'm not sure. So, would anyone like to test their car ID skills? Thanks!

'41 Chevy Town Sedan?

5a4e73d9c7a9f_1941ChevyTownSedan2.jpg.9dd9bc9ea1bcd42f1c4b08405ea82711.jpg5a4e73de411e9_1941ChevyTownSedan.JPG.778102e368ea07029f58a392a96dc3ed.JPG

Can anyone ID this one?

IMG_2124.jpg.ca907c9cd26b61ea973096a780dbcbbc.jpg

17 minutes ago, peter31a said:

The last picture looks like an Austin Bantam.

I'd say you're right. Certainly looks very similar to the photo Casey shared. I'm seeing a different bumper, and maybe a deeper head light.

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, AdamC said:

I'd say you're right. Certainly looks very similar to the photo Casey shared. I'm seeing a different bumper, and maybe a deeper head light.

Your lower photo IS an American Austin Bantam, 100% absolutely, no question. My own father had one when he was young. The bumper has been replaced with something from a larger car, and the ends bent around the fenders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Austin_Car_Company

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The bumper has been replaced with something from a larger car, and the ends bent around the fenders.

That's really interesting. I'd love to know the story behind that. I'll have to look through my grandma's photos the next time I'm in WV for a visit. Maybe she'll have more photos of it.

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Your lower photo IS an American Austin Bantam, 100% absolutely, no question. My own father had one when he was young. The bumper has been replaced with something from a larger car, and the ends bent around the fenders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Austin_Car_Company

Actually, the correct name for this car is "American Bantam", after the name of the American Austin Company,  which was reorganized out of bankruptcy in 1935, and went back into production, the Austin name having been dropped (in fact, all ties with Austin in the UK was severed),  and this revised version of the American Austin was named simply "American Bantam"

Since you guys like old photos, let me share this one. I'm not related to either of these ladies. Occasionally when I'm at a thrift store or antique mall I'll find boxes of old photos and I love to go through them, especially for interesting candid shots. I found this one a few years ago and love everything about it. 

img006.thumb.jpg.95a83d89efb9139b89990ed44dcf0999.jpg

13 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

Actually, the correct name for this car is "American Bantam", after the name of the American Austin Company,  which was reorganized out of bankruptcy in 1935, and went back into production, the Austin name having been dropped (in fact, all ties with Austin in the UK was severed),  and this revised version of the American Austin was named simply "American Bantam"

You are 100% correct, sir.    :D

...Which was why I posted the link to the wiki entry, in the belief that the OP could read for himself a little of the history of the car in question, and the company that built it.

If there had never been an American Austin company, there would have never been an American Bantam, which was much the same car.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

22 hours ago, AdamC said:

Hi everyone. While home over Christmas, looking for photos of my parent's '70 Nova, I came across these old family photos and I'm trying to ID the cars. I think, based on looking at some old car brochures the first car is a 1941 Chevy Town Sedan. That would have been my grandparent's car when my mom was born. The third photo, I'm not sure. So, would anyone like to test their car ID skills? Thanks!

'41 Chevy Town Sedan?

5a4e73d9c7a9f_1941ChevyTownSedan2.jpg.9dd9bc9ea1bcd42f1c4b08405ea82711.jpg5a4e73de411e9_1941ChevyTownSedan.JPG.778102e368ea07029f58a392a96dc3ed.JPG

Can anyone ID this one?

IMG_2124.jpg.ca907c9cd26b61ea973096a780dbcbbc.jpg

I think the second picture is of the same car in the first photo. I is definitely a Chevrolet based on the Hood Vents and the side trim moldings would make it something other than the base model. Cool pictures by the way.