Model Cars Magazine Forum

1924 Delage GP - a what ?

absmiami

next is the steering unit

made from some evergreen tube and strip

with a prelim check of the fit within the chassis rail to make sure that is clears the right side cylinder head - and a black plastic tube has been drilled into the chassis rail to locate the completed unit

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

the space for the steering box is tight

so the bottom tab has a peg that will slide into the black tube drilled thru the chassis rail

it's a snug fit that will rotate but will stay put once everything is put together

that way I can get the correct angle for the steering wheel post - which actually tilts up and in to its correct place below the dash 

the tube thru the chassis rail was then capped and sanded - as it should not be visible on the outside surface of the chassis rail ...

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

• Like 1

On 2018-02-01 at 4:57 PM, absmiami said:

so having broken my last  #75 drill it was off to the local hobby store for some more provisions

yes - there is still one lonely hobby store - specializing in trains - in Miami -

Ready to Roll - for you train fans - and they carry a good assortment of scratch-building supplies

for the remaining rivets on the body I'm trying some phosphor bronze wire - .020

the gadget in the picture  marks the metal at .100 intervals, and was made from this wire - holes drilled with #76 drill

gonna use some drill lubricant - so I don't break all of my #76's ...

these rivet holes will crawl around the cowl and down the length of the body  - as the body was riveted in this manner to the chassis

IMG_0656.JPG

This is a great trick.

Outstanding work, thanks for sharing and for the explanations. That Renshape stuff looks to be very a versatile product to have in you tool kit. I am extremely interested in seeing how you pull off the engine turned finish.  

engine turned finish will be easy !

I'm gonna make all the parts, paint the chassis and engine, and send the body back to Pico and tell him to do the engine turning !!!  just kidding   -   maybe  .....

just some test fitting

the engine, exhaust manifold, and bulkhead are in place - its a tight fit but everything should be where it belongs ...

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

the driver's compartment has interior trim that takes the rivets that attach the body to the chassis

- probably visible on the Leno video - they are made fr Evergreen 0.60 L shaped stock that is marked for rivet dimples and then filed to shape - the dimples will do - as the trim sits down in the chassis rails below the dash

I'll paint them after the chassis is spray painted - I wanted them in place to give me a solid attachment/glue guide when the body is attached to the chassis ....

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

think I forgot to post these pix

I made a brass steering arm the will be glued to the bottom of the steering unit

it pokes out of the bottom of the chassis and then is attached to the steering link

what could go wrong ?  remember - these cars were not yet racing on paved surfaces ...  yikes

Delage corrected this in their '27 GP car - sending the arm out above the chassis rails .... 

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

I have bookmarked the cratex site - but their discs are too large - unless they can be turned down - which I doubt

gonna try to make a tool that will produce swirls - or something close to a swirl - that is no more than one scale inch - we'll see

mean time - gotta make a transmission - more Evergreen ....

the clutch housing is made from 1/2 inch tube and thin plastic sheet - filed etc

with an added inspection plate and holes for retaining nuts

then attached to evergreen bar stock - 6 scale inches wide and a little taller - for the gear box ...

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

the gear box has a cover plate that is bolted down with castle nuts -

so I marked the holes and drilled them and added some more features

the box isn't done yet - but it was then liquid glued to the clutch housing and set in the chassis for a test fit

the housing for the gear shift hangs off of the end of the box - gonna make that next -

along with some sort of finned circular device that is attached to the end of the gear box and is attached to levers

that do what?  not sure ....  but it looks cool ....

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

more trans details

the driver side of the box has a kick plate made of - I think - plywood

made this from thin renshape sheet scrap - to be washed w/ a grime finish

and some dark stain

then drew patterns for the floor boards onto thin evergreen plastic sheet

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

so the floor boards are roughed out and in place to check fit ...

then I sawed some slots into the leading edge of the driver's side board for the openings for the pedal brackets

everybody's got some stray tools laying around the back of their tool drawer that they only use about

once every two years or so - but when you need that particular tool - well - you need it ...

the slots must be a certain width, and only this fine toothed metal saw blade would work -

now the lonely blade will go back into it's dark corner for another long period of hibernation ....

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

layout marker ...

not too big a problem for parts to be painted with a metal finish

but will remove most of the markings - would be problem on the chassis rails - which will be primed and painted blue

pedals - made from a strip of Evergreen "metal" scale siding - its the stuff used by small scale railroad scratch builders for structures ...

glued to brass shafts that poke out of the floor-board slots

check fit  - just enough room - and they will not interfere with the steering column ... 

next to the hand brake and the brake "servo"....

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG