Model Cars Magazine Forum

1924 Delage GP - a what ?

absmiami

I know it's important. I do, I honestly do. But we're talking about process, man. What are we talking about? Process? We're talking about process, man?

We're talking about process. We're talking about process.

We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about process, man.

sorry

just had an allen Iverson flashback ....

so work begins on the 3 D printed wire wheels and tires - the rims feature very precise - and very small - radial spoke holes

64 on each rim - in two rings - outer and inner

the holes are "printed"  into the part and are simply opened with a # 82 drill

and no - I can't do this without magnification ....

will use some sort of fine line for the spokes - to be wound around each hub in a jig that I will set up

- the hubs  will be turned on the Sherline 

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

the tires are printed in the same translucent material as the  rims and feature a terrific tread pattern and super accurate

sidewall features and  lettering - Model factory pico has designed a number of different vintage tires

and I suspect that he gets a little better each time ....

while I'm about to set up the jig I have the following question - either for Pico - or for Mr. Michelin ....

wire has to be wound through the rim spoke openings and around the hubs - but in what pattern ????

I have enclose two possibilities - the first is from Wingrove's bible

the second is from the instruction sheet for the Wills Finecast Delage

or maybe there is a third way .... ????????

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

Duh.........Andrew, it's been a while since I checked in here and boy have I missed a bunch.  Admire the creativeness throughout the thread and the scratch-building is just fantastic.   I've learned some great tricks / methods already from you and hope you take your time on the car so I can learn even more.  Cheers, tim

Starting at 1, pull monofilament fishing line to 2, which is the first hole to the left of 3, which is directly across from 1. then to 3 and thread it on the opposite side of the hub to 4. Then start the sequence again at the first hole to the right of 4. Notice this method is only usable with rims that have holes in multiples of 4. Spoke diameters vary widely, but a spoke of 1/4" diameter would be .010" in 1/24th scale.

DSCN1331.JPG

thanks Codi - and can you tell me the name of the (once) young man who composed "born to be wild"  ??

and you want me to take my time on the car  ? 

- its been on my workbench for a year - I'm not sick of it yet ....  but  .....

actually I haven't gotten to the fun part yet - which as Pico knows - will be the finish on the body panels ....

and thanks to Pico for  .....  the third way ....(insert announcer in echo chamber)

now its back to the lathe to make the hubs ...

the first hub - dimensions based roughly on the corresponding hub in the Wills white metal Delage kit - shown in the third picture

shaped with a ground cutter - like the one used on the axle halves - only smaller - with the headstock swiveled a few degrees for the taper

then parted and set in the jig

today's pico question - the spoke wiring will partially obscure the hub - so should I paint these things before I wire them  ??????

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

workshop space is limited

so before I wire up some wheels I'm doing some more machining on the Sherline lathe and mill

finished all four hubs

and now machining some instr bezels for the dash

- as pictured in 2 photos on page 1

some bezels will be machined from nickel silver rod

but the bezels for the tachs appear to be brass - there are two tachs

- not sure why - maybe the pounding and vibrations expected in a GP race in the mid  twenties caused frequent instr breakage ?? - they may be run separately off

of the separate cams  - they appear to be 

the gauge opening is .160 with a bezel just wide enough to allow for some small dimples to be milled onto the ring - the tachs were screwed into the dash....

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

so the basic shape is cut on the lather and then the chuck is  removed fr the lathe and set up on the milling machine with an indexer tool - to drill the dimples to suggest the screws - each dimple drilled at 60 degree intervals ...

using .015 cutter for the dimples - .012 would be more scale accurate - but I broke my .012 cutter - and besides - .015 is easier to see!

the chuck is then returned to the lathe to part the bezel from the brass stock

then a test shot to show size relation to the tach decal from an Indycals 1/32 Bugatti sheet - this is about right - if I use these decals I'll have to remove the Bugatti script fr the gauge - but that will be easier than making my own Delage gauges ...

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

thanks to Mr harrisburg

so begins the great wire wheel experiment

always wanted to try this ....

using soft steel wire just less than .010 - which is actually over-scale - but looks better to humans than scale wire would

it has a tendency to twist during the back and forth thru the holes and around the hub

so the results are OK but Pico suggested fishing line instead

and I think I now know why ...

gonna try that for the next wheel

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

also did some more machining with nickel silver

the steering wheel photo-etch is an accessory fr profil-24 - and is accurate for this car - but I machined a button

the photo-etched part is not accurate for the Delage and is not 3 dimensional

the bevel on the face of the button is machined by rotating the headstock about 30 degrees

the cap at the end of in the fuel pressure pump is machined and then scored with a fine file

nickel silver is fairly "soft" - so the file leaves its pattern marks

then the transmission case inspection cap and the stick shift receptacle  ..... 

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

so the hinge in the third picture is the part that I ended up turning fr nickel silver

with the flats filed in the lathe - using the bars of a four jaw chuck as reference points to file the flats ...

- no intention of making a working hinge for the pressurized cap handle

just want something that looks right ...

then I had to make the cap handle and the latch that sits over the tab on the front of the cap  ....

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG