[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
absmiami

1924 Delage GP - a what ?

Love watching a good scratch

Thanks for sharing Andrew

Cheers

I know it's important. I do, I honestly do. But we're talking about process, man. What are we talking about? Process? We're talking about process, man?

We're talking about process. We're talking about process.

We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about process, man.

sorry

just had an allen Iverson flashback ....

so work begins on the 3 D printed wire wheels and tires - the rims feature very precise - and very small - radial spoke holes

64 on each rim - in two rings - outer and inner

the holes are "printed"  into the part and are simply opened with a # 82 drill

and no - I can't do this without magnification ....

will use some sort of fine line for the spokes - to be wound around each hub in a jig that I will set up

- the hubs  will be turned on the Sherline 

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

the tires are printed in the same translucent material as the  rims and feature a terrific tread pattern and super accurate

sidewall features and  lettering - Model factory pico has designed a number of different vintage tires

and I suspect that he gets a little better each time ....

while I'm about to set up the jig I have the following question - either for Pico - or for Mr. Michelin ....

wire has to be wound through the rim spoke openings and around the hubs - but in what pattern ????

I have enclose two possibilities - the first is from Wingrove's bible

the second is from the instruction sheet for the Wills Finecast Delage

or maybe there is a third way .... ????????

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

Duh.........Andrew, it's been a while since I checked in here and boy have I missed a bunch.  Admire the creativeness throughout the thread and the scratch-building is just fantastic.   I've learned some great tricks / methods already from you and hope you take your time on the car so I can learn even more.  Cheers, tim

Starting at 1, pull monofilament fishing line to 2, which is the first hole to the left of 3, which is directly across from 1. then to 3 and thread it on the opposite side of the hub to 4. Then start the sequence again at the first hole to the right of 4. Notice this method is only usable with rims that have holes in multiples of 4. Spoke diameters vary widely, but a spoke of 1/4" diameter would be .010" in 1/24th scale.

DSCN1331.JPG

thanks Codi - and can you tell me the name of the (once) young man who composed "born to be wild"  ??

and you want me to take my time on the car  ? 

- its been on my workbench for a year - I'm not sick of it yet ....  but  .....

actually I haven't gotten to the fun part yet - which as Pico knows - will be the finish on the body panels ....

and thanks to Pico for  .....  the third way ....(insert announcer in echo chamber)

now its back to the lathe to make the hubs ...

the first hub - dimensions based roughly on the corresponding hub in the Wills white metal Delage kit - shown in the third picture

shaped with a ground cutter - like the one used on the axle halves - only smaller - with the headstock swiveled a few degrees for the taper

then parted and set in the jig

today's pico question - the spoke wiring will partially obscure the hub - so should I paint these things before I wire them  ??????

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

The spokes will not obscure enough on the hub to be a problem with painting.