Model Cars Magazine Forum
W Humble

Wanted model chrome for very old cars

Pontiac; 1960 AMT rear bumper, 1963 Tempest grille (actually, only drivers side half), 1961 SMP Chevy Impala rear bumper -- still need to complete restoration of my old kits! 

Have many very old (1959-85 era) bumpers, grilles and wheel cover sets to trade; all original unused condition!  Help an 'old' modeler get them right. 

Thanks, Wick

You have posted a total of six times. Each time you were looking for parts. The track record of individuals with super low post counts looking for stuff in trades is that they tend to burn the other party involved. Too many people here have been swindled by guys who fit a similar profile as yours. If you're on the level, you would be willing to send whatever items which were agreed upon to the person first. Only when that person receives those items will he send yours. If you think that seems your integrity and credibility are being questioned, you're right. It might suck; but, the likelihood of getting scammed by someone only posting "I want" or "I need" requests sucks even more.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Sheesh Joe, the guy said he has parts to trade. Back off.

So have several of the ones who have scammed in the past.  Not saying this is not a fair request, but having lost a couple of kits in a "trade" does make me leery.

Maybe he plans on sending parts first before receiving requested parts. Lets don't jump to conclusions!

Let him prove himself. What has happened to innocent until proven guilty? I like to give a person a chance. And I myself have been taken before.

Edited by Classicgas

5 hours ago, Classicgas said:

So have more than a few other low-post-count individuals who only posted in the "Wanted" or "Trading Post" sections. Remember the low-post-count guy who "innocently" asked about the value of some Johan kits in "General" not too long ago? Ask the people who got scammed by him how their transactions turned out. If you are the type who trusts everybody, go ahead and make a trade. If you get burned again, don't tell us and don't ask the mods to do something about it. Caveat emptor and all that other good stuff. Back off? Not in the script, Lee. I'm a straight shooter and will say what's on my mind.

6 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

... I'm a straight shooter and will say what's on my mind.

Isn't that illegal in this country now?

I like to march to the beat of a different drummer.

Image result for Marky Ramone

I actually send out parts not expecting anything in trade. I enjoy helping others complete projects. If it is a number of parts I ask for shipping. No ripoff can happen.

Only six posts in over a year.  It certainly raises a red flag.  Some pictures of the kits he is building would add some credibility.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

I actually send out parts not expecting anything in trade. I enjoy helping others complete projects. If it is a number of parts I ask for shipping. No ripoff can happen.

I do the same thing, but I'm still leery about sending parts out to someone who might just be looking to treat me like a chump.

For one, I don't want to give them the satisfaction, & I like to think that the party that I give that valuable part to, might be able to return the favor someday.

So far, that approach has never failed me.

I have a great trading relationship with several forum members.

I leave it up to those who may make a trade with a newbie to make those decisions, but I personally would be very careful in lieu of what's been happening around here lately.

That being said...... Sorry James, I don't have any of those parts to spare anyway. ;)

Steve

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Isn't that illegal in this country now?

No, but you're liable to lose a foot if you aim in that direction.

In the case of this poster, no asking for freebies, offers similar older, hard to find parts for trade = passes the sniff test. :)

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

No, but you're liable to lose a foot if you aim in that direction.

In the case of this poster, no asking for freebies, offers similar older, hard to find parts for trade = passes the sniff test. :)

I hope that you're correct!

I sincerely hope that the OP is on the level!

I'm always looking for guys who are trading in vintage parts! ;)

Steve

I am still very much new here & alot of my trades have been ....myself answering "*6 to 1,000+" posts members up for trade / wanted threads.

Myself.....I don't have a problem sending 1st...a pic PM'd of my end being sent,     2nd....tracking number.

I consider myself a good judge of character. ......read alot of posts here to get the vibe of others.  I like it here!!!

Have....got an item not correctly represented.......someday, karma will rear "her" ugly head!    Chances are taken everyday we close the door & leave home.

But weren't.....ALL of you given a chance in the beginning?     "Newbies "?

I am not completely sold on the credibility with number of posts that consist of "Nice build" ,"cool", PM'd and don't have the "  "s to tell the guy he mispelled the sponsors name on one side of the racecar.

If I were to have missed something....(still human)...I would appreciate the chance to make it right

Kevin.  khils

I've got a pair of matching vintage 1960s OEM elbow joints if you're interested.

13 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

You have posted a total of six times. Each time you were looking for parts. The track record of individuals with super low post counts looking for stuff in trades is that they tend to burn the other party involved. Too many people here have been swindled by guys who fit a similar profile as yours. If you're on the level, you would be willing to send whatever items which were agreed upon to the person first. Only when that person receives those items will he send yours. If you think that seems your integrity and credibility are being questioned, you're right. It might suck; but, the likelihood of getting scammed by someone only posting "I want" or "I need" requests sucks even more.

10 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Yeah, I agree. There are some that may spend their spare time ACTUALLY BUILDING instead of spending it on the forum! :rolleyes:

Yeah, 4,989 posts can get in the way of quality building time.

In a time when it is hard to find modelers willing to participate in forums, maybe we should try a little harder not to scare them off. It is fine if you want to post a warning about the possibility of being considered a scam artist. It can be done in a nice way, no need to be a jerk about it, and there is no need to fill an entire page about it. Given recent events, most folks know to proceed with caution on ANY trades. Look at the post counts of some of the bad apples (they are not all low). I have also noticed a few folks that have been members for years and seem to only post year end recaps of their builds, so their post counts are also low. Is everyone going to fly off the handle if they post they are looking for a part.

51 minutes ago, Khils said:

But weren't.....ALL of you given a chance in the beginning?     "Newbies "?

I am not completely sold on the credibility with number of posts that consist of "Nice build" ,"cool", PM'd and don't have the "  "s to tell the guy he mispelled the sponsors name on one side of the racecar.

If I were to have missed something....(still human)...I would appreciate the chance to make it right

Kevin.  khils

Yes, we were all "given a chance" at some point.

What worries people is when a brand new member pops up out of nowhere & immediately starts asking for kits & parts before really establishing any kind of rapport on the forum.

When a new member comes in and starts posting photos of his builds or projects, responds to others posts & generally begins relationships on the forum, it re-insures other members that they are here for the the hobby & not just looking to "get something" and then disappear.

It's really about creating a little trust up front before getting into the trading part of it.

Steve

Wick doesn’t have a lot of posts, but he’s been a member since August 2016.

So far, he hasn’t swindled anybody and vanished. The swindlers generally follow a pattern - they come in hot and heavy, ask for things and start trading or selling and pretending like we’re all his best friend - often with to-good-to-be true deals. People get excited and try to score, then, boom - screwed. The perpetrator then vanishes - or makes a new account (from the same IP) and claims to know the bad dude but he’s just sick or something please wait and send more money and free kits...

14 minutes ago, Xingu said:

In a time when it is hard to find modelers willing to participate in forums, maybe we should try a little harder not to scare them off. It is fine if you want to post a warning about the possibility of being considered a scam artist. It can be done in a nice way, no need to be a jerk about it, and there is no need to fill an entire page about it. Given recent events, most folks know to proceed with caution on ANY trades. Look at the post counts of some of the bad apples (they are not all low). I have also noticed a few folks that have been members for years and seem to only post year end recaps of their builds, so their post counts are also low. Is everyone going to fly off the handle if they post they are looking for a part.

Sure, some long time members have low post counts. How many have posts which are solely limited to trades and wants? You're correct in noting that some of the bad apples have fairly high post counts. The remainder, which make up the majority of scammers, have very low post counts limited to trades and items wanted. As far as my commenting on the OP's post count and their content, that was an observation on my part and I was stating the obvious. BTW, my reply to the OP was written in plain language. I stated what my, and others' concerns here are. It's not my problem if there is an issue with reading comprehension by the boys in the cheap seats  or trying to read between the lines. Additionally, nowhere in it did I accuse him of attempting to scam anyone.  If that doesn't raise the slightest degree of concern or suspicion, how about playing a couple rounds of Three Card Monte? 

Give yourself a warning point for calling me a jerk. From the way your reply is worded, you could not have been referring to anyone else in this thread. Don't bother trying to explain, deny or backtrack on it by saying it was used in a general context. It's obvious at whom it was directed. That constitutes a personal attack on a forum member. That's against forum policies. Being a mod, you should know better than that. I most likely am one; but, regardless of your present status on this board, it's not your place to state as much in any part of this forum. I'm 1000% sure that I'd be kicked off the site immediately if I referred to you in a similar manner. You could have been courteous enough to say that in a PM; but, you chose to do it here. By doing so, you've also set a dubious precedent. You have compromised your authority as a moderator. You're no longer in the position to warn or threaten to ban anyone else who decides to resort to casting aspersions on or disparaging another poster's character since you are guilty of the same.

Xingu was correct in what he said. 

Edited by Classicgas

There are boards that simply don't allow trading until a certain number of posts have been achieved. Frankly (and to agree with an earlier comment), if the posts are all attaboys, I don't see how a minimum number accomplishes anything.

How about this: pin a little note to the trades section, suggesting that, because of some unethical dealings in the past, new traders (under a certain number of bona fide TRADES) are requested to simply send their end of the deal first. Everybody knows which end is up, no ambiguity, clear and concise communication, and nobody has to get hurt feelings.

OK...so how do we know how many trades a guy has done previously? Hmmmmm....not my dog.

Or do what I do...the REALLY simple solution, most of the time. BUY PARTS.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

In this day and age, it's human nature to ask.

I don't post much, so when someone wanted something I had, he naturally told me to send it first. I kinda' smiled to myself. Told him to Google me and then, as Vito Corleone did, told to, "ask around the neighborhood about me". I've been around so long that many newbies have no idea about me. This all being said, if I send something out and find out it was a scam, I'm only out a kit or a part. However, I assure you, you will be out of a reputation.

I've had very positive interaction here. Met some great people who I would not hesitate sending anything.

My pet peeve is people who ask for stuff, you tell them you have it, send them a million pics and then they tell you they can get it cheaper. My response.."go for it!" . The best is the guy who expected me to send it and was shocked when I asked for postage. The absolute best are those that never respond, after the first contact. Gotta' have it, but then crickets...