Model Cars Magazine Forum
W Humble

Wanted model chrome for very old cars

2 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

In this day and age, it's human nature to ask.

I don't post much, so when someone wanted something I had, he naturally told me to send it first. I kinda' smiled to myself. Told him to Google me and then, as Vito Corleone did, told to, "ask around the neighborhood about me". I've been around so long that many newbies have no idea about me. This all being said, if I send something out and find out it was a scam, I'm only out a kit or a part. However, I assure you, you will be out of a reputation.

I've had very positive interaction here. Met some great people who I would not hesitate sending anything.

My pet peeve is people who ask for stuff, you tell them you have it, send them a million pics and then they tell you they can get it cheaper. My response.."go for it!" . The best is the guy who expected me to send it and was shocked when I asked for postage. The absolute best are those that never respond, after the first contact. Gotta' have it, but then crickets...

George who?
:-)

One of the guys on the forum who I absolutely love being around!!!!

You tell em' GB!!!!

well im a newish here but a idea came to mind I understand the burnt child bit with scammer's and false folks anyways this is one for the admins

a bad traders thread and list them then everyone knows whats the score personally I dislike the sort that does that stuff

12 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Sure, some long time members have low post counts. How many have posts which are solely limited to trades and wants? You're correct in noting that some of the bad apples have fairly high post counts. The remainder, which make up the majority of scammers, have very low post counts limited to trades and items wanted. As far as my commenting on the OP's post count and their content, that was an observation on my part and I was stating the obvious. BTW, my reply to the OP was written in plain language. I stated what my, and others' concerns here are. It's not my problem if there is an issue with reading comprehension by the boys in the cheap seats  or trying to read between the lines. Additionally, nowhere in it did I accuse him of attempting to scam anyone.  If that doesn't raise the slightest degree of concern or suspicion, how about playing a couple rounds of Three Card Monte? 

Give yourself a warning point for calling me a jerk. From the way your reply is worded, you could not have been referring to anyone else in this thread. Don't bother trying to explain, deny or backtrack on it by saying it was used in a general context. It's obvious at whom it was directed. That constitutes a personal attack on a forum member. That's against forum policies. Being a mod, you should know better than that. I most likely am one; but, regardless of your present status on this board, it's not your place to state as much in any part of this forum. I'm 1000% sure that I'd be kicked off the site immediately if I referred to you in a similar manner. You could have been courteous enough to say that in a PM; but, you chose to do it here. By doing so, you've also set a dubious precedent. You have compromised your authority as a moderator. You're no longer in the position to warn or threaten to ban anyone else who decides to resort to casting aspersions on or disparaging another poster's character since you are guilty of the same.

Well Joe, no denying it. It was clearly directed at you. Not just for your first post, but for your follow up posts as well. You also lashed out at several members that posted after you. Go back and read the entire thread and see the 'tone' that it has taken. I will be honest, it isn't about just this post either. You have posted some things that are way off topic for a model forum and even though you posted them in the correct place, I debated about removing them. I tend to let folks speak their minds a little more than Harry did, but I can see why he put a stop to some conversations when he did. Folks like to push the limits or test their boundaries. You also asked me to post something for you (when you were not able to post for yourself), I declined saying that it would cause trouble, so what did you do? You went and found another member to post it for you. I remember you posting an article in the Off-Topic Lounge, that you removed after several hours, because no one commented on it. You didn't just remove it, you pouted about how no one cared about it and, surprisingly, that got folks interested in it. I do consider myself a courteous person, I have sent plenty of messages out to members (including you) explaining why I have done something or asking them to tone things down. Clearly it does not work with some folks. This board is full of great members who are willing to talk about everything model related and offer advice where they can. There are also a handful of members here that I would describe as troublemakers. They "don't play well with others" or rarely talk about models. Unfortunately, I think you fall into this category. The majority of your posts, at least within the last year or so, are in the Off-Topic area. So I have to ask myself why, all of a sudden, do you jump up to the Wanted section and post in a thread that you probably would not participate in otherwise. Most members here know to be leery when participating in a trade or filling a wanted request. I don't remember seeing any posts from you in the other threads about trades gone bad, so why now. I still stand by what I said, you can post a warning, but no need to be rude about it and no need to lash out at those that disagree with you.

It could have been: "We have had some trouble here in the past and because of your low post count, folks may be reluctant to trade with you. Just wanted to give you a heads up."

Instead we got: " You have posted a total of six times. Each time you were looking for parts. The track record of individuals with super low post counts looking for stuff in trades is that they tend to burn the other party involved. Too many people here have been swindled by guys who fit a similar profile as yours. If you're on the level, you would be willing to send whatever items which were agreed upon to the person first. Only when that person receives those items will he send yours. If you think that seems your integrity and credibility are being questioned, you're right. It might suck; but, the likelihood of getting scammed by someone only posting "I want" or "I need" requests sucks even more."

So right off the bat you question his integrity and credibility. Even though I doubt you personally were going to trade with him. You can say that is because you are a straight shooter, well I can say it is being a jerk. I stopped, took a little time and came up with what I would have said. In my opinion it warns the poster and anyone who may trade with him. It is also what I would have posted if someone would have reported the original post and said that I may want to watch this thread, given the OP has a low post count. Unfortunately, the thread was reported and brought to my attention a few posts in.

When Harry got sick and could no longer visit the site regularly , I saw something that I thought I could help with. Rather than complain about how things were going with the forum or the magazine I offered to help. I knew what was involved when I volunteered to be a moderator here. I knew that I would have to deal with the different personalities of the members here. I think I have done a fairly decent job of treating folks equally (I am sure several will disagree, but they are still here to disagree). I have given plenty of second and third chances. If Gregg and/or Dave want to remove or reprimand me, so be it. I think they both understand that everyone has limits and there are folks here that like to push people past them.

13 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Sure, some long time members have low post counts. How many have posts which are solely limited to trades and wants? You're correct in noting that some of the bad apples have fairly high post counts. The remainder, which make up the majority of scammers, have very low post counts limited to trades and items wanted. As far as my commenting on the OP's post count and their content, that was an observation on my part and I was stating the obvious. BTW, my reply to the OP was written in plain language. I stated what my, and others' concerns here are. It's not my problem if there is an issue with reading comprehension by the boys in the cheap seats  or trying to read between the lines. Additionally, nowhere in it did I accuse him of attempting to scam anyone.  If that doesn't raise the slightest degree of concern or suspicion, how about playing a couple rounds of Three Card Monte? 

Give yourself a warning point for calling me a jerk. From the way your reply is worded, you could not have been referring to anyone else in this thread. Don't bother trying to explain, deny or backtrack on it by saying it was used in a general context. It's obvious at whom it was directed. That constitutes a personal attack on a forum member. That's against forum policies. Being a mod, you should know better than that. I most likely am one; but, regardless of your present status on this board, it's not your place to state as much in any part of this forum. I'm 1000% sure that I'd be kicked off the site immediately if I referred to you in a similar manner. You could have been courteous enough to say that in a PM; but, you chose to do it here. By doing so, you've also set a dubious precedent. You have compromised your authority as a moderator. You're no longer in the position to warn or threaten to ban anyone else who decides to resort to casting aspersions on or disparaging another poster's character since you are guilty of the same.

The precedent was set when "Doctor Kerry" (I'm not a real doctor but I play one when I build models!!!!!) was allowed to "vent" his frustrations a little over a month ago. He personally attacked 2 forum members and broke several forum rules in the process. However, he did make an apology to the forum for his actions, so I guess it's all good now. After all, we don't want to scare off those that are willing to participate.

6 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Well put sir.

I agree. Thank you Xingu.

Well said Xingu....the constant negativity from a couple of posters lately has gotten quite tiresome, hopefully they'll find other outlets for it soon.

1 hour ago, Modeltruckbuilder said:

The precedent was set when "Doctor Kerry" (I'm not a real doctor but I play one when I build models!!!!!) was allowed to "vent" his frustrations a little over a month ago. He personally attacked 2 forum members and broke several forum rules in the process. However, he did make an apology to the forum for his actions, so I guess it's all good now. After all, we don't want to scare off those that are willing to participate.

Kerry was allowed to vent. I have allowed others to vent as well. As far as I know, none of the others I have allowed to vent have been previously banned from this site because they were troublemakers or take every chance they can to bash Gregg, Model Cars Magazine or this forum. People that do the former are probably going to be granted a little leeway and sent a warning message. People that fall into the later category are going to be watched a little more closely and put in check a little bit quicker. Most of those folks are actually still members of this board, because they too are allowed to vent and speak their mind (to a point). Folks can research past postings and see which category folks fall into.

51 minutes ago, mike 51 said:

Well said Xingu....the constant negativity from a couple of posters lately has gotten quite tiresome, hopefully they'll find other outlets for it soon.

There has been a good bit of negativity recently. Unfortunately, I have now added to it.

3 hours ago, Xingu said:

Well Joe, no denying it. It was clearly directed at you. Not just for your first post, but for your follow up posts as well. You also lashed out at several members that posted after you. Go back and read the entire thread and see the 'tone' that it has taken. I will be honest, it isn't about just this post either. You have posted some things that are way off topic for a model forum and even though you posted them in the correct place, I debated about removing them. I tend to let folks speak their minds a little more than Harry did, but I can see why he put a stop to some conversations when he did. Folks like to push the limits or test their boundaries. You also asked me to post something for you (when you were not able to post for yourself), I declined saying that it would cause trouble, so what did you do? You went and found another member to post it for you. I remember you posting an article in the Off-Topic Lounge, that you removed after several hours, because no one commented on it. You didn't just remove it, you pouted about how no one cared about it and, surprisingly, that got folks interested in it. I do consider myself a courteous person, I have sent plenty of messages out to members (including you) explaining why I have done something or asking them to tone things down. Clearly it does not work with some folks. This board is full of great members who are willing to talk about everything model related and offer advice where they can. There are also a handful of members here that I would describe as troublemakers. They "don't play well with others" or rarely talk about models. Unfortunately, I think you fall into this category. The majority of your posts, at least within the last year or so, are in the Off-Topic area. So I have to ask myself why, all of a sudden, do you jump up to the Wanted section and post in a thread that you probably would not participate in otherwise. Most members here know to be leery when participating in a trade or filling a wanted request. I don't remember seeing any posts from you in the other threads about trades gone bad, so why now. I still stand by what I said, you can post a warning, but no need to be rude about it and no need to lash out at those that disagree with you.

It could have been: "We have had some trouble here in the past and because of your low post count, folks may be reluctant to trade with you. Just wanted to give you a heads up."

Instead we got: " You have posted a total of six times. Each time you were looking for parts. The track record of individuals with super low post counts looking for stuff in trades is that they tend to burn the other party involved. Too many people here have been swindled by guys who fit a similar profile as yours. If you're on the level, you would be willing to send whatever items which were agreed upon to the person first. Only when that person receives those items will he send yours. If you think that seems your integrity and credibility are being questioned, you're right. It might suck; but, the likelihood of getting scammed by someone only posting "I want" or "I need" requests sucks even more."

So right off the bat you question his integrity and credibility. Even though I doubt you personally were going to trade with him. You can say that is because you are a straight shooter, well I can say it is being a jerk. I stopped, took a little time and came up with what I would have said. In my opinion it warns the poster and anyone who may trade with him. It is also what I would have posted if someone would have reported the original post and said that I may want to watch this thread, given the OP has a low post count. Unfortunately, the thread was reported and brought to my attention a few posts in.

When Harry got sick and could no longer visit the site regularly , I saw something that I thought I could help with. Rather than complain about how things were going with the forum or the magazine I offered to help. I knew what was involved when I volunteered to be a moderator here. I knew that I would have to deal with the different personalities of the members here. I think I have done a fairly decent job of treating folks equally (I am sure several will disagree, but they are still here to disagree). I have given plenty of second and third chances. If Gregg and/or Dave want to remove or reprimand me, so be it. I think they both understand that everyone has limits and there are folks here that like to push people past them.

Very well said Michael, and I must agree with you especially when it comes to not only the comments in this thread but the other one you referenced as well, because comments there offended not only me but many others that have PO boxes because the opinion given was that having a PO box = scammer, just as a low post count = scammer here. All I will say, as not to try to open that whole can of worms again, is as many said in that thread was that a PO box is their only way to get mail and I have lived in a small town in the past where that was true and even now though I have a street address, I still keep a PO box for shipping so I know my packages don't grow legs and walk off or something is left outside to get ruined by weather if I'm not home to receive it. 

Also, to try to get this back on track, does anyone know if a Blueprinter parts pack that was nothing but bumpers would have any of these bumpers? I know I have the parts pack in the stash but not sure of the contents of it without digging it out of storage. 

3 hours ago, highway said:

Also, to try to get this back on track, does anyone know if a Blueprinter parts pack that was nothing but bumpers would have any of these bumpers? I know I have the parts pack in the stash but not sure of the contents of it without digging it out of storage. 

I think that the time for any useful information to the OP has expired on this thread.

He has already started an entirely new thread.

I regret that I participated in this disaster of a thread, & for that, I apologize.

It has obviously gotten out of hand.

I have already posted what I hope will be some useful information for the OP on his new thread.

I don't see any of the requested parts in the parts pack set.

Steve

image.png.7e5f1cc26c427409be3d6a477f6f14e3.png

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

The majority of your posts, at least within the last year or so, are in the Off-Topic area.

If you're going to make a point, get your facts straight. I haven't posted anything in the Off Topic section, or anywhere else on this site, from the end of August 2016 until early December 2017 because of the "404 Error". Show me anything that you claim I posted anywhere on this site during that time and I will never post another comment on this board. You can't produce what never existed in the first place.  

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

You have posted some things that are way off topic for a model forum and even though you posted them in the correct place, I debated about removing them.

If you had to debate removing any posts, but didn't, that means you questioned your own judgement and realized you would be wrong for doing so. If I posted something in the correct place, it couldn't have been off topic, could it? 

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

I tend to let folks speak their minds a little more than Harry did, but I can see why he put a stop to some conversations when he did.

Not even close. Harry didn't have a quick trigger to cut discussions the way you have done. He allowed a lot more leeway in a discussion or debate before deciding it was time to cut it off. Don't ever compare yourself with Harry. I got to know Harry pretty well and we had great private conversations about everything from A to Z. As a mod, you're definitely not in the same league. You act like the student sent to play monitor in another class who starts yelling "Shut up!" when things get a bit lively. You're Barney Fife to Harry's Andy Taylor. If you determine to take any punitive or retributive actions because I replied to your comments in kind, so be it. It will just validate my observation.You can dish it out but can't take it.

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

You also asked me to post something for you (when you were not able to post for yourself), I declined saying that it would cause trouble, so what did you do? You went and found another member to post it for you.

You neglected to reference your complete sentiment on the subject which was, "That will just piss off a bunch of folks. They don't want to hear the truth." Your words, not mine. Care to dispute the accuracy of that? That indicates agreement with what I wrote. Don't try to talk from both sides of your mouth and say that wasn't what you really meant. 

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

So I have to ask myself why, all of a sudden, do you jump up to the Wanted section and post in a thread that you probably would not participate in otherwise.

I check out the "Wanted" and "To Trade" sections regularly. I like to window shop; so, it's not done on an impulse.. If I see something that interests me, I'll ask. Not that it's any of your business, I actually have completed transactions to both parties' satisfaction. 

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

I remember you posting an article in the Off-Topic Lounge, that you removed after several hours, because no one commented on it. You didn't just remove it, you pouted about how no one cared about it and, surprisingly, that got folks interested in it.

I didn't pout. I stated a fact that there wasn't any apparent interest; so, I chose to remove it. It did surprise me that there was more traffic for a deleted thread. It must be the "rubberneck" syndrome. Everybody slows down to gawk at an accident. 

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

Well Joe, no denying it. It was clearly directed at you.

No hard feelings, Mike. The feeling is mutual. It's ironic that, in all of my comments or replies in this forum, I never considered nor ever resorted to personal insults against anyone. Yet, you did. That's why you should never compare yourself to Harry. 

Hey Matt

2 hours ago, highway said:

Very well said Michael, and I must agree with you especially when it comes to not only the comments in this thread but the other one you referenced as well, because comments there offended not only me but many others that have PO boxes because the opinion given was that having a PO box = scammer, just as a low post count = scammer here.

What I wrote was, " P.O. boxes are typically used by individuals perpetrating scams.". That is a fact backed up by USPS Postal Police, FBI and local law enforcement agencies conducting mail fraud investigations. Do you see anything there that reads, "Everybody who uses a P.O. box is perpetrating a scam"? If you use a P.O. box and aren't a scammer, that comment doesn't apply to you and you shouldn't feel offended. Get the styrene chip off your shoulder. I'm also not the first person here to make the correlation between low post counts consisting solely of parts requests/kit trades and opportunists looking to cheat somebody. That's been pointed out numerous times by other members. 

6 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think that the time for any useful information to the OP has expired on this thread.

He has already started an entirely new thread.

I regret that I participated in this disaster of a thread, & for that, I apologize.

It has obviously gotten out of hand.

I have already posted what I hope will be some useful information for the OP on his new thread.

I don't see any of the requested parts in the parts pack set.

Steve

image.png.7e5f1cc26c427409be3d6a477f6f14e3.png

Thank you Steve, I wasn't sure if it would have or not. 

5 minutes ago, highway said:

Thank you Steve, I wasn't sure if it would have or not. 

You're welcome.

Now I'm out of here!

Life's to short to participate in these feces tossing contests.

Later guys!

Steve

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You're welcome.

Now I'm out of here!

Life's to short to participate in these feces tossing contests.

Later guys!

Steve

Yep, I believe I will be too, there is starting to be too much bovine exhaust here! :lol:

I did have my time frame off though it was more than a year ago. Your post did piss folks off an caused unneeded drama, just because I agreed with the majority of it, does it mean it was right to post it.

For the record, I do not compare myself to Harry. I know I can never fill his shoes. He was definitely one in a million.

I apologize to everyone. Guess I reached my breaking point.

A few final comments:

Mr. Humble, all this folderol isn't your fault. We had a couple of people scamming trades and some of our active members lost kits. It's left a bad taste in people's mouths, especially since there was little we could do to rectify the situation. Best we could do was to keep it from happening again. 

That said, if you're new here, you should be prepared to send your part(s) or kit(s) first until you get a good reputation. It would be nice to have some kind of escrow agent, but I doubt that would be practical. 

It seems like we should publish some guidelines and recommended procedure regarding trades as part of our rules. We'll start a discussion thread when we're ready to do that.

Now, hopefully, we can execute a general reset, and go back to being nice to one another. 

Mahalo,
Dave Ambrose