Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint to thin

I tried to paint a set of wheels with some Testors lacquer. Using my usual technique, the paint puddled in the low spots and the high spots looked like they had no paint. So I striped them, primed them, this time. And got the same result. I decanted some and tried air brushing several different parts, from my parts box. Thinking maybe the plastic of the wheels was the issue.  Regardless of the pressure or amount of paint, I got the same thing.

Is there a way to thicken the paint I have decanted? Maybe just a bad can of paint?

I like the color, but right now, its completely useless.

Any help would be appreciated

28 minutes ago, dragstk said:

Is there a way to thicken the paint I have decanted? 

Allow the decanted paint to sit in an open container. The more volatile solvents will evaporate out, and it will thicken up gradually.

You can also have problems like you describe if the temperature is too low (60F is about the minimum you should ever try to paint in), or if you're spraying too "wet", too close to the surface.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 minutes ago, dragstk said:

I thought about that but I was worried that the paint would "skin" or get chunks in it.

Thanks for the help, Bill

I will skin, but if it's lacquer, you can just stir the skin back in to the paint, and it will melt completely (if stirred thoroughly enough).

That won't work with enamel, though.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

8 hours ago, dragstk said:

You learn something new every day, sometimes its actually useful :D

I didnt know the skin would dissolve back to paint

Thank you

+1, Jeff!  Bill usually has the answer for almost any question and he's usually one of the first to respond with help. I've learned a lot from him.

Um, are you sure you mixed (shook) the paint in the spray can really well before decanting?  Sounds like you left the "thick stuff" (the pigment and resin) still in the spray can, so what you have is just the solvent tinted with the paint's color.

Edited by peteski

I did shake the can for a minute or so, I also warmed the can in hot water for a couple of minutes, then shook it again. (this is my normal practice)

I did this both when I was trying to spray from the rattle can and before decanting.

I suspect that this is just a bad can of paint, as I have never seen this happen before. Im just trying to find a way to use the paint