Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950s Era Trailer

Hypothetical question: is it possible to convert the 1970s era AMT Fruehauf van trailer into a 1950s era trailer?  Reason I ask is that one of my future builds will be a 1950 Ford F8 tractor, and I'd like something "period correct" to put behind it.

Yeah it could definitely be used as a good starting point. If I were building it I would shorten it to either 32 or 35 feet in length, as those were the common lengths in the 50's. I would make a rounded front, and I would get rid of the sliding tandem and mount it solid to the trailer floor. If you really want to get fancy you could add the rounded wheel cut-outs that were common back then. I wish I had a better shot of it, but this was a 1953 Fruehauf. I think the kit would be a good starting point.

2v2J3eVr2xAC2cR.jpg

Making the rounded front would probably be difficult to do and make it match the kit sides. You can still make it look period correct without even making the rounded front. I think a lot of the period look comes from the accessories used with the box, such as the landing gear, and style of spare tire rack. These look to be 35 footers, but I do not know what brand they are.

2v2J3erUoxAC2cR.jpg

Edited by KJ790

• 2 weeks later...

There is a plastic 1950s style trailer from a 1/24 diecast truck that would work.

I think this is it. Sometimes you can find the trailer by itself considerably cheaper. I kept meaning to get one for myself but never got around to it, they were fairly cheap and available on ebay. Appears not to be the case at the moment.

Ertl 1950s trailer

If you are patient Round 2 may re-issue the set of doubles, I understand those are an appropriate style for the the 1960s. Lindberg's milk tanker trailer is also supposed to be of 1960s vintage and can be made long or short. The Lindberg van trailer is also supposed to be of an earlier style and and shorter than others, 40 feet I believe. All of these trailers are newer than the F8, but should work for an experienced F8 still at work in the 1960s. 

Flatbed would be another option, as those are fairly timeless and relatively easy to scratchbuild.

What about a restored hauler with a lowboy? A 1950 F-8 would be a nice looking hauler for the Fergusson and / or Porsche tractors, or an antique fire engine...  

On 1/8/2018 at 2:48 PM, plastic trucker said:

That is what's stopping me from attempting to try it.

Is the material used for the curved, front end the same as the sides?

Maybe start with something a little newer, like so, which has a flat front?

ford_w-750_tractor_truck_2.jpeg.37bae885f12ceee6fed5cd875da80a19.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Bare with me as I am trying to remember an article from November 1990. This comes from that month's issue of Model Railroader. It had an article by Art Curren on called Modifying Athearn's 24 ft trailers in HO scale. If I can get my hands on a copy I will post it. To make a round nose, He basically rounded off the roof and floor at the front. Then, a skeletal frame of styrene strips placed vertically  was made to form the basic round shape. After that, a sheet of thin styrene was wrapped around the skeletal round nose frame. Then everything was closed off and detailed.

The trailers came as tandem axle 24' trailers in the box, usually wearing railroad names. If anyone can get that article, it has several different mods for these trailers to give them a variety of 1950's styles.You just have to translate everything to 1/24-5 scale

Another idea is to use the IMC/Testors/Lindberg van or flatbed. They are 36 feet in length and can be shortened. They are generic enough to work with any 1950s/1960s truck.

hello jim , you want something like this front , you know where i have it from

3036e928809c63223d9d719bcdc13a96.jpg

now i use a italeri 49 ft trailer because the sidewalls are good for the old look , so cut and lower it to a 30 ore 32 ft trailer , i think thats the correct size of that time ??

still a lot of cuttin and saw and try to make it looks good for a old style trailer

jacobus

8 hours ago, jacobus said:

hello jim , you want something like this front , you know where i have it from

3036e928809c63223d9d719bcdc13a96.jpg

now i use a italeri 49 ft trailer because the sidewalls are good for the old look , so cut and lower it to a 30 ore 32 ft trailer , i think thats the correct size of that time ??

still a lot of cuttin and saw and try to make it looks good for a old style trailer

jacobus

That is a very nice looking piece for the front of the trailer. Are these available somewhere?

On 1/6/2018 at 3:49 PM, Jim B said:

Hypothetical question: is it possible to convert the 1970s era AMT Fruehauf van trailer into a 1950s era trailer?  Reason I ask is that one of my future builds will be a 1950 Ford F8 tractor, and I'd like something "period correct" to put behind it.

Jim I took a few photos of some restored trailers today including this one with a sleeping compartment in underneath. Just click the photo and go to my Flickr page, then go to albums and look under van trailers. I have a few photos of the torsion bar suspension under them.

27195275467_41d7033874_k.jpgIMG_8729 by Brian Smith, on Flickr